Eating well whilst feeling sick - 16 weeks

Options
Em_runs_away
Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
I'm struggling with nausea (no actual vomiting) and finding any food I can bear to eat is challenging, I'm finding it difficult to be balanced. I'm gaining weight appropriately but I feel terrible. Still no energy and the queasiness is making me miserable.

How have you dealt with broad food aversions?

Replies

• ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm having similar issues at 10 weeks, sorry to say I have no helpful suggestions :(
    Waiting to see if others do!
  • Em_runs_away
    Options
    Thanks for the response, hope you feel better soon.
  • Em_runs_away
    Options
    Bumping for any advice please
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the morning sickness this time (knock on wood) at 10 weeks, but last pregnancy I was hyperemetic with severe food aversions. My diet became very limited and I still didn't keep a lot down, and lost a significant amount of weight. My midwife and the OBs I saw in consult all told me the same - eat what I could. I was losing but baby was gaining - babies are amazingly resilient. I know that doesn't sound terribly reassuring but the bottom line is - just do the very best you can. Eat what sounds good, and especially if you're gaining, just go with the flow. I know you feel tired, but I doubt that's diet related - pregnancy makes me absolutely exhausted. It's possible you could eat perfectly and still feel super tired - so don't stress, because I think worrying is probably worse for both of you. I promise if you're gaining baby is doing fine :)
  • Em_runs_away
    Options
    Thank you hbarnstein, that's reassuring.
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Em- just wanted to let you know that I had steel cut oats for breakfast today and had a really easy time eating them and keeping them down- had another bowl for supper :)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with HG and lost 14 pounds in the first month, I have a PICC line in my arm that I get fluids and occasionally liquid nutrition from when I cannot keep anything down, as well as my anti nausea meds. It is horrible. I don't know what to tell you about choking down food when you are sick, but I can tell you if you find it getting worse or begin to vomit often, go in before you get too dehydrated as that makes it so much worse. I'm almost 26 weeks and am not showing at all, because I simply cannot keep food down. It's a roller coaster for sure, hopefully for you it tapers off in the 2nd trimester like it is supposed to