Hello Lovely's NEW

Options
Hi i'm not new to Group joined a few back .....but i been to scared to start 5x5 afraid to fail or not to be able to do, what if someone laughs....Basically a whole lot of excuses. So now i have decided to put on my BIG GIRL PANTIES and get to it
the longer i wait the longer it takes to get results
So i would Love any and All advice you have i wanna know what works for you, what don't, what you eat, everything all you newbies like me or seasoned vets....
Thanks in Advance

also feel free to add me after all that's what this site is about getting healthy and making new friends

:)
Mrs.G

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    You got this, Cupcake!

Finished week 3 last night, so relatively new at this, as well, but what I have learned is this:

1. this group is supportive and will bend over backwards to help.

2. DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED by the idea of "lifting heavy." You ease into it, and it's not scary...It's REALLY fun.

3. I calculated my calorie intake based on TDEE -20% because I need to drop fat, as well as build muscle, and eat accordingly. I also drink my wine nightly (it's the primary reason I don't open my diary, LOL...), but I probably will because it seems to be working in spit of the wine.

4. Watch videos on form. As much as you can. They are very helpful!

I think that's all I've got for right now. :)
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You got this, Cupcake!

Finished week 3 last night, so relatively new at this, as well, but what I have learned is this:

1. this group is supportive and will bend over backwards to help.

2. DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED by the idea of "lifting heavy." You ease into it, and it's not scary...It's REALLY fun.

3. I calculated my calorie intake based on TDEE -20% because I need to drop fat, as well as build muscle, and eat accordingly. I also drink my wine nightly (it's the primary reason I don't open my diary, LOL...), but I probably will because it seems to be working in spit of the wine.

4. Watch videos on form. As much as you can. They are very helpful!

I think that's all I've got for right now. :)

Wonder if I should close my diary because of my nightly chocolate milk lol. J/K. Your diary is your thing and I don't mind if friends don't have theirs open. It's your business what you eat(drink). Mine is only open to friends anywho.

Welcome to the group cupcake! I'm am on week 2. Have already started seeing the scale drop and broke my year long plateau. I eat 1800-2100 cals/ day which is below my TDEE. Working on losing fat and revving up my metabolism by building muscle. And looking good too, I'm a little vain. Eating is a must on this. You need to fuel your body to fuel your lifts and protein, protein, protein!

Like Julie said, it's an ease into kind of thing, you won't be benching your body weight first thing, we wait for week 4 for that, just kidding. I am so glad that I found SL. It really is life changing. I was worried I would never lose any more and in 2 weeks I've lost 1.2 lbs and told that plateau to suck it!

Make sure your form is good before increasing weight. Ain't no shame in that and it will prevent injury. I'm not increasing squat weight tonight because I was a little shaky on my last sets Monday so tonight it's all about form for me.

Feel free to add me. My diary is open. It might be a little boring and I have a chocolate milk obsession :love:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Wonder if I should close my diary because of my nightly chocolate milk lol. J/K. Your diary is your thing and I don't mind if friends don't have theirs open. It's your business what you eat(drink). Mine is only open to friends anywho.

Last night I had a bananas foster cupcake, a piece of cheesecake, and three beers. If anyone should close their diary...

I agree with everything jmouse said (we have multiple Julies). I'm also eating at a deficit (25%), but a lot of the girls are eating near maintenance. It will be up to you how much to eat based on what your goals are and where you are in your journey. Deficits will limit your strength gains, but that's not an issue for me because I have so much to lose. I also don't have a problem eating the same thing every day, so my diary isn't much help to a lot of people, but it's open if you want to take a peek.

I was also intimidated about starting, so I aimed for times when I figured the gym wouldn't be busy (we also only have one squat rack, so that helps). My first day was on a Sunday not long after they opened (I hoped people would be at church, hung over, or both). I also go before work around 5am, and again, there aren't that many people around.

I didn't, but a lot of people will try and hire a trainer for a session or two to help with form for lifts. However, that can be a double edged sword since I think most of the trainers I've seen at my gym don't do the major compound lifts with their clients. I've seen one guy in the morning who has his client bench, and his form is horrible and the trainer does nothing to correct it.

Ask tons of questions, and hang out in the chat thread. It's super motivating when we chime in on how awesome you're doing. Seriously, this group is awesome!
  • Soosannah
    Options

Last night I had a bananas foster cupcake, a piece of cheesecake, and three beers. If anyone should close their diary...

That seriously my stomach growl.....ummm, cheesecake.
  • Runs4CupCakes
    Options
    thanks for the advice already i'm excited i have a weight bench at home so im lucky in a sense i dont have to hit the gym...i have a great husband who is going to start this with me he has been into fitness for a long time and does a lot of mma, jujitsu, and boxing so im excited to be doing something together, just hope he can keep up
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    Ok, I sucked it up and opened my diary to friends only...I still love my wine, tho, and as long as the inches are coming off, I must be doing something right, right?
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    thanks for the advice already i'm excited i have a weight bench at home so im lucky in a sense i dont have to hit the gym...i have a great husband who is going to start this with me he has been into fitness for a long time and does a lot of mma, jujitsu, and boxing so im excited to be doing something together, just hope he can keep up

Home is AWESOME! I hate gyms, so when I told the hubs I wanted to lift, he put a rack and bench in the studio for me, and BOOM! No gym needed.

I love "just hope he can keep up"! LOL...
  • Soosannah
    Options

We turned our dining room into a home gym. No excuses for having to get up,get dressed and get out the door. We still have a family YMCA membership because of the pool, basketball gym, and classes when I get a whim.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options

I'm doing the program with my husband too. I love that we are doing something together, but at the same time it doesn't have to involve a lot of talking; except to remind each other to breathe, to go lower, or to keep things tight.

@Juliemouse and Soosannah – If the requirements to close a diary are because of treats, then I should close mine too. Pumpkin pie and whipped cream the last four nights… BTW, my diary is open to friends. Welcome and have fun lifting.
  • Runs4CupCakes
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm doing the program with my husband too. I love that we are doing something together, but at the same time it doesn't have to involve a lot of talking; except to remind each other to breathe, to go lower, or to keep things tight.

@Juliemouse and Soosannah – If the requirements to close a diary are because of treats, then I should close mine too. Pumpkin pie and whipped cream the last four nights… BTW, my diary is open to friends. Welcome and have fun lifting.
    [/quote]

we never get to workout together we have 3 kids he goes to the gym at 430 in the am i go at 530 in the pm so there is always someone with them and they dont get dragged there and back home we do about 2 hrs of homework every night nothing would get done if we tried to go together but this is something we can do at home and it not be so heck tick
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Pff I have chocolate and wine/beer in my diary with regularity.

I'm not on a diet. I just try to make healthier choices and stay within calorie range ... some days more successfully than others. I quit smoking in December and have lost 5 pounds rather than gained weight, so I'm happy. If you don't like my diary, then don't look. Simple as that. :smile:

Having said that ... welcome!! Always glad to have a new lifting lady around. :smile:
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I need to get a husband to workout with. :noway:
  • Soosannah
    Options
    Pff I have chocolate and wine/beer in my diary with regularity.
    :

Food of the gods, I'm telling ya! You'd have to pry my chocolate milk out of my cold dead hands. I refuse to give up yummy goodness, I just make it fit.
  • Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    All of you who have husbands that will lift with you, or at least get on board with you are so very fortunate
    My hubs is all about cardio. He will use some dumb bells once or sometimes twice a wekk, but that is as far as he is willing to go.

He loves to hike and just does not seem to understand that some of the hikes he wants us to go on require using a LOT of strength. Even the hiking books he reads encourage lifting.....he just kinda skims over that part.

I am gonna have a difficult time getting him to agree to purchasing a squat cage and a weight set.
    He is totally fine with the dumb bells.
  • fishlover888
    Options
    Sounds like I need to get a husband to workout with. :noway:

Ditto! Haha.

@cupcake - welcome!

In regards to treats... well I've been eating peeps like it's my job lately. I realize that they should be regarded as disgusting gobs of gooey sugar but they TASTE SO GOOD. Everyone one of us deserves a little fun in our diet right?
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    All of you who have husbands that will lift with you, or at least get on board with you are so very fortunate
    My hubs is all about cardio. He will use some dumb bells once or sometimes twice a wekk, but that is as far as he is willing to go.

He loves to hike and just does not seem to understand that some of the hikes he wants us to go on require using a LOT of strength. Even the hiking books he reads encourage lifting.....he just kinda skims over that part.

I am gonna have a difficult time getting him to agree to purchasing a squat cage and a weight set.

Not to be stereotypical or anything, but no sex usually got my ex-wife what she wanted. After a little while at least. (Tho prob shouldnt listen to me as I am no longer married. :P )
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get my husband to lift. I think it would be a good mental exercise for him. BUT I can't complain, he runs, skis, bikes, and hikes with me.
    Weights have been and will continue to be MY zenexperience.
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    The hubs can't lift with me because of the ridiculous amount of metal in his neck. Can't lift over 25 lbs, which is what cost him his job. However, he lifted in his younger days and is an amazing coach and isn't shy about calling me on my form, which helps. It's nice that he's on board with this and it gives us some together time a few times a week.
  • Soosannah
    Options

We are hikers too, but it's the off season for us. I am anxious to try out my new lower body strength on my hikes now and to see if carrying my pack is easier. A few more weeks and the seasons on for me. I just can't stand staring at all the dead stuff in winter. Love it when it's green and a little warmer!

Thankfully my husband is all about some lifting.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

ETA:
    Not to be stereotypical or anything, but no sex usually got my ex-wife what she wanted. After a little while at least. (Tho prob shouldnt listen to me as I am no longer married. :P )

Does not sound like a healthy mature relationship full of mutual respect, but I've been wrong before!