Anyone "NOT" increasing 5lb per workout

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
I was curious if anyone was not increasing 5lb per workout? I so far am pretty good with lower body but anything with upper body I am having trouble already even doing 5 in each set (I am doing my 3rd workout tomorrow)

Thoughts?

Replies

• chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I increased 5 pounds on each lift for about the first month. Since then, especially on upper-body lifts, I am going up only in 2 pound increments. I think that is fairly common for women.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has to stop increasing by 5 lbs at some point. But the whole thing is, as long as you're increasing you're still making progress. So I wouldn't worry about it and just keep going. Some are really rough to add 5 lbs to especially OHP.
  • kopmom
    Options
    Yes the OHP was by far my hardest and I couple not even do even 1 rep at a 5!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not increasing 5 lb per workout. Maybe per week. Specially not on benching and OHP.

I do try to add more sets here and there though (I usually do anywhere between 3x5 and 5x5, but then again I'm not strictly following SL anyway).
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    The upper body lifts I can't - so I got a set of fractional weights so I can increase by 0.5 pound and still feel like I'm progressing - and other lifts I felt my form was off so I repeated a weight.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Fractionals, baby!
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I only increase if my form is good and I can complete the reps. I'm repeating deadlifts (bad form @ 120 so doing another round of 110 on Friday) and I did 55# OHP twice since the first time @ that weight I couldn't finish the last set - should move to 60# Friday but we'll see. OHP's SUCK!!!! :happy:

But I've added a few other arm exercises so I hope to build that area up a little faster (bicep curls, chest flys and tricep dips).
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I do 5lb a week except for OHP - tho on Saturday I'm gonna try.
    When I started, a few weeks in I had to start squats over (went from smith to a squat rack) so that one went 5lbs a workout.

I'm not following it super strictly though...
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm not increasing on every workout even anymore. I'm increasing when I can do the 5 sets with only a little wobble at the end of the last one. Then, I move up, usually by 5 pounds.

I'm doin' it wrong, but it's working for me!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    <- this gal. i increase weight on my upper body compounds (OHP, bench press, pendlay rows) whenever the heck i feel like it.

i usually warm up with just the bar, and use that to gauge how badass i'm feeling that day.

i am trying to work more on my legs, since that's where most of my fat is.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I don't increase by 5 anymore. I have fractional plates, so I can go up as little as a pound if I need to. To me it doesn't matter as long as I'm going up!
  • kopmom
    Options
    Thanks everyone, made me feel better ! I may trying going up 5lbs each week and seeing how that goes
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am easily going 5lbs up on each of my lifts except for my OHP. Can't bust 70 so I'm gonna see about purchasing some fractional weights and go from there.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm on workout 25 today and I have stopped increasing OHP, Bench, Rows every workout for a while now. Anything involving arms takes a lot longer for me. Also my gym doesn't have 1.25 lb weights so I can't increase by 2.5 easily. So I'll often do the same weight for two workouts then try to increase if I feel it's time. Everyone will plateau with increases at some point!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Since I was new to lifting I did not increase 5lbs per workout.. I did it more every week. So you're not alone haha
    I think now I feel more comfortable increasing the form more frequently!