For Guys who want "Professional Women"

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
I was cleaning out my PMs and came across this:
I am going for professional women but I think I am using the term differently than you are. I am meaning teachers, nurses, etc. Women who have jobs that are more or less careers, not necessarily executive types.

I often hear guys say they want "professional women" but then they don't want to date my peers (kinda like when they say they want "smart women" but they tend to go for ditzes) so I'm wondering if other guys mean the same thing as the one who wrote the quote?

Edit... in the same PM he also wrote:
I am not looking for bartenders, waitresses, etc.

(uh, oh... have I just given the board an excuse for another flame war...? We have quite a few fabulous bartenders and waitresses here)

Replies

• nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    this guy sounds like an idiot.

but i am curious to see what other guys have to say about this?

i have found some guys dont like their women to be successful, some guys say they do but then can't handle it....

guys please enlighten us
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

i have found some guys dont like their women to be successful, some guys say they do but then can't handle it....

guys please enlighten us

One sounds a little passive aggressive.

I cannot extract the meaning of what that guy meant by "professional women" but if I used that expression I would probably be trying to convey the idea of a women with a well respected job/ intellectually stimulating job.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    ***Robot voice***

I agree with what the women think, it's all the men's fault... please don't report me!
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    For real though, I tend to like the teachers and nurses.
  • go_fast
    go_fast Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have some medical training & love the nurses. Also teachers. Come to think of it I don't think most men really obsess over potential mates careers. I never have.
  • JanieJack
    Options

Wow... that seems harsh...or maybe I'm just reacting because this was a PM from a friend who I wouldn't be PMing if he were an idiot.

I actually thought what he wrote made sense in helping me understand why some professional guys say they want professional women but it doesn't seem like that to me (because the bulk of my peers are the "more executive" professionals).

I've never thought there was a difference when I say professional between doctor, nurse, teacher, or executive. To me, they're all professions. But to some guys (at least this one) there's different levels of professions.
  • nolachick
    Options

Wow... that seems harsh...or maybe I'm just reacting because this was a PM from a friend who I wouldn't be PMing if he were an idiot.

I actually thought what he wrote made sense in helping me understand why some professional guys say they want professional women but it doesn't seem like that to me (because the bulk of my peers are the "more executive" professionals).

I've never thought there was a difference when I say professional between doctor, nurse, teacher, or executive. To me, they're all professions. But to some guys (at least this one) there's different levels of professions.

lol wasn't being harsh. i thought that was a message to you from some guy who didnt want to date you because of your career.
    my bad.
  • nolachick
    Options

guys please enlighten us

One sounds a little passive aggressive.

I cannot extract the meaning of what that guy meant by "professional women" but if I used that expression I would probably be trying to convey the idea of a women with a well respected job/ intellectually stimulating job.

lol no not passive aggressive at all. sorry if it came off that way. i really would like to know if that matters to men or not.

i'm a civil engineer, some guys are intimidated, others are very supportive. that's all.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    lol wasn't being harsh. i thought that was a message to you from some guy who didnt want to date you because of your career.
    my bad.

Lol, no, he didn't want to date me cuz I'm out of state and I don't put out.

(And I say that with all the love in my heart because he is reading this thread haha)
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am not getting it right but I think some guys think there is a difference between a women that has a profession over a career woman.

Career comes across as someone that is "power hungry" and wants to push for their career to the highest level possible. Example Hillary Clinton

A women that has a profession is someone that is usually in a lower to mid level position that their life doesn't revolve around their job but is a stable job 8-5 job.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I am meaning teachers, nurses, etc. Women who have jobs that are more or less careers, not necessarily executive types.

I often hear guys say they want "professional women" but then they don't want to date my peers so I'm wondering if other guys mean the same thing as the one who wrote the quote?

Edit... in the same PM he also wrote:
    I am not looking for bartenders, waitresses, etc.
    I think in a way it makes sense. He isn't looking for someone permanently stuck in what would be traditionally seen as a temporary/"student type" job (usually low income or low qualification)...
    Personally, I think I would probably see a "non intellectual" profession as an orange flag (i.e. the girl should expect me to talk about it on a date).
    Probably the male equivalent for "must be ambitious".

Oh yeah, and executive types can be scary for the reasons MM mentioned.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I guess I am simple?

I think as long as you have a way to support yourself, in whatever way you accomplish that, than that is fine.

I also tend to believe that intelligence isn't an objective term, so I don't judge someone because they have a job that is stigmatized for being "blue collar" or "requires less intellect".

For example, my ex wife's dad was not a "very bright" individual when it came to certain topics, however the man could repair any vehicle he came across. He was also very handy. To say he is "dumb" is a little inaccurate, he may be dumb in certain areas.

I dunno, if you support yourself you are good in my book.

To clarify: I don't know exactly what he means by "professional", and I don't know why he deems that someone has to have a job "deemed a profession".
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    FYI when I read the title I thought you were talking about guys that visit women in the worlds oldest profession.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Career does not matter. I do, however, prefer someone who is passionate about whatever they do or at least making progress towards doing something they can feel good about.

That passion may not be their 9-5, it may be what their 9-5 supports as long as their job does not make them miserable.

No cops, though. :)
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Career comes across as someone that is "power hungry" and wants to push for their career to the highest level possible. Example Hillary Clinton

A women that has a profession is someone that is usually in a lower to mid level position that their life doesn't revolve around their job but is a stable job 8-5 job.

I really disagree with this - technically a professional is someone who went to professional school (law, med, pharm etc). I wouldn't say that is low to mid level - its someone who still has the "title" whether or not they are working (a doctor is a doctor whether or not they are practicing). A career is similar - something you do and are moving up the ladder, not like you're jumping from one type of job to another. I think thats what the guy meant by "professional" - as an engineer you would be that type as well!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Career does not matter. I do, however, prefer someone who is passionate about whatever they do or at least making progress towards doing something they can feel good about.

That passion may not be their 9-5, it may be what their 9-5 supports as long as their job does not make them miserable.

My friends told me I am not allowed to date a cop ....WOuld have to stop hanging with to many of them lol
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

I have a no cop rule.....they get a bad rap , I think. I would have the same problem as Jenbit......have to stop hanging with my FAMILY!!!
  • nolachick
    Options
    what's wrong with cops? lol

idk if i would specifically go out of my way to date 'em but i'm not sure i would turn one away? hmm
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    The guy knows what he wants. While that might eliminate some people from his dating pool that's fine. My guess is he's looking for a woman that serves a more traditional role and will be more accessible to him. "Executives" tend to be married to their job, regardless of gender, so if a guy wants his woman to be around it makes sense.

If that's his dealbreaker that's fine. It's not like he's running around telling executive women that they're wasting their lady bits and should be popping out human larvae. *shrug*
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    The only job title I would not date is "unemployed".