Warm up / cool down

Options
pandorakick
pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
Of course there are warm up sets included in All Pro's routine. Nevertheless I strongly feel that something more is needed beforehand to get completely warmed up. I mentioned before that I have troubles with my form with squats, due mainly to very tight calves. Doing a more elaborate warming up and calf stretches helps with that.

I really like these video's from FitnessBlender for warm up and cool down:
http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Easy-Warm-Up-Cardio-Workout/cp/
http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Quick-Cool-Down-Stretch/an/

What do you like to do for warm up and cool down?

Replies

• cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I usually don't do either...I kinda just jump right into it and find that the light warmup reps of the squats are enough to get me ready and get the blood flowing a bit :)
  • pandorakick
    Options
    No stretching afterwards either?
  • cmeiron
    Options
    No stretching afterwards either?

Nope :blushing: I feel fatigued afterwards, but not "warm" enough to get the benefit of a stretch, if that makes sense.
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Ah ok. For myself I make an effort to stretch in order to get my flexibility up. Especially the tightness in my calves makes squating with good form rather difficult. Currently I can only go down to parallel if I squat with my heels on a couple of plates to elevate them a little.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I just read through the FAQs in the sticky, where it says
    Q: How many of the exercises require warm up sets?
    A: Only the first 3 (Squats, Bench Press, Bent Over Rows) require the 2 warm up sets. Perform only the 2 work sets for the remaining 4 exercises (OHP, SLDL, Curls, Calf Raises).

Having just made notes from the AllPro original thread, I seemed to remember he said it differently there and I found it after some OCD searching
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&p=258931741&viewfull=1#post258931741
    Page down to post number 248
    ... you only need to do the warm up sets for squats, bench press, bent over rows and shoulder press.

I am not sure if he changed his mind at some later stage and decided shoulder press didn't require warmups

I found that since I am using dumbbells and not too heavy ones at that, my warm up sets were rather laughably light today. What will they end up becoming on Wed and Fri?!
  • paprad
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaR72bpjSa4&feature=player_embedded

I found this warm up through some other link - it takes less than 10 minutes (and anyway, I cheat and don't do all of them, and not as many reps) but I rather liked it - it takes the body through a full range of motions.

I too often feel like skipping warmups and just getting to the main workout (with the built in warmup by AllPro, that's fine) - but now I think at my age I need to be more vigilant about warmups. I am rather lazy about cool downs though - some desultory arm and back stretches and I'm done. I guess I should change that too
  • cmeiron
    Options

I found that since I am using dumbbells and not too heavy ones at that, my warm up sets were rather laughably light today. What will they end up becoming on Wed and Fri?!

Laughably lighter :laugh:

Don't worry, after a few cycles, the "light" days and the "warmups" won't really feel like either :wink:
  • paprad
    Options
    :laugh:
    I think there is some hidden punch in the workout - it seems deceptively simple and all the deloading seems relaxed - but as the math shows, soon the medium workout day will the heavy day of a previous cycle!
  • cmeiron
    Options
    I think there is some hidden punch in the workout - it seems deceptively simple and all the deloading seems relaxed - but as the math shows, soon the medium workout day will the heavy day of a previous cycle!

That's it exactly! :laugh: It finally dawned on me that this is the punchline of the whole thing - I'm feeling it this cycle for sure!!!
  • pandorakick
    Options
    I am not sure if he changed his mind at some later stage and decided shoulder press didn't require warmups

I too found this discrepancy in the BB thread and the condensed notes. Opted to use the condensed notes (and sticky them in this group) because I find the warming up sets boring and rather to them for 3 instead of 4 exercises. You're of course free to do warm up sets for all exercises :flowerforyou:

In the beginning I opted not too go lower in weight with the warm up sets then 2 kg, just because it wouldn't make any sense to go lower :laugh:
  • pandorakick
    Options

That's it exactly! :laugh: It finally dawned on me that this is the punchline of the whole thing - I'm feeling it this cycle for sure!!!
    Me too! :laugh: