Food industry practices

Options
As seen on The Colbert Report...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=all

A lot of research goes into food formulations to make you want more and more of it.
he had no qualms about his own pioneering work on discovering what industry insiders now regularly refer to as “the bliss point” or any of the other systems that helped food companies create the greatest amount of crave
Sensory-specific satiety also became a guiding principle for the processed-food industry. The biggest hits — be they Coca-Cola or Doritos — owe their success to complex formulas that pique the taste buds enough to be alluring but don’t have a distinct, overriding single flavor that tells the brain to stop eating.

Questions to consider:

How do you feel food companies researching and perfecting these formulas?

How is this different than what cigarette companies do?

Is this ethical, given the obesity epidemic and the rising cost of healthcare?

Is this an acceptable cost of living in a free society?

Is the responsibility ultimately with the individual?

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Questions to consider:

Honestly, I feel eh. It's a "marketing" ploy... like putting cartoon characters and bright colors on food for kids (where parents could say no to, but often don't because they don't want to deal with their children's melt downs)... Their whole deal is to make money, just like every other manufacturer or producer of goods. Whether it's ethical or not, I don't know. Again, they do it so people will buy their products... it's why food manufactures put crap loads of sugar into "fat free" junk. To make it taste better so the consumer will buy it. Unfortunatly, the ethical don't really have a chance in markets such as this anymore either. I do think it's an individuals responsibility on whether to eat it or not.... I know that soda manufacturers put just the right amount of sugar and salt into their beverages to make me crave them... but again, it's up to me to ignore that craving and go for water... If I don't, then I get the bloating, the dehydration, and the weight gain. I think it's up to the food companies to label their packaging in a way that tells people what is in their products... But like cigarettes, it is MY responsibility what I put into my body... not the Government's and not the Food Manufacturers... no one is forcing me to buy the doritos.... no one is forcing me to buy the candy... at least not directly.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Questions to consider:

These companies are going to do whatever they can to make a buck. My opinion does not matter to them, only my $. That being said, they are free to research and perfect all they want, it is ultimately my choice as to whether I give in or not.

Cigarette companies have taken huge steps in acknowledging the bad in their product. They will continue to cater to those who don't really care. They won't be hampered unless people really give them up.

No, it is not in the least bit ethical, but since when has ethics been at the core of american corporations?

I do not find it acceptable, even in a free society. The same people who chose to make bad choices for themselves, make those same bad choices for their kids. It is pure ignorance.

utlimately yes it is an individual responsibilty. This society wants so much to govern themselves, but can't even run their own families. They don't want government regulation, but will be quick to fall under the spell of a corporation doing essentially the same thing. I don't understand the american society at all.

good article, thanks for sharing
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    It makes me feel really uneasy to think about food companies trying to manipulate us on a biological level like that, but manipulation like that is inescapable and not limited to the food industry.

I personally don't think it's really any different than trying to get people addicted to cigarettes.

I do think the individual is ultimately responsible and that people need to start making better choices when it comes to their health because it affects us all, but that's a pretty tall order. Government intervention may be the only thing that could save us from ourselves. I don't support the idea of being restricting what or how much people can buy, but I do support making junk more costly through taxes
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    But like cigarettes, it is MY responsibility what I put into my body... not the Government's and not the Food Manufacturers... no one is forcing me to buy the doritos.... no one is forcing me to buy the candy... at least not directly.

This is the way I see it. The only thing I feel that they need to change (back) is to stop allowing companies to advertise to children. There was a time when it was illegal to market to kids..That should have never been changed.

The way we deal with it in our home is not to watch TV, at all. If we want to watch a show we will watch it commercial free from a DVD or download service where we can skip commercials or where they don't show up at all in the kids shows. Our child watches documentaries and educational programs. We have explained 'advertising' to him and reinforce it every time we see some commercial somewhere trying to sell us things we tell him - we educate him about the practices.

We also do not eat crap, we cook at home for the most part and when we go out to eat we avoid places like McDonald's so that we don't give him the taste for those foods. Desert is not an every-day thing but something for special occasions. He does not get chips, pop, sugary drinks, candy or any of that garbage. Ultimately as a parent it is your responsibility to monitor and control what your children eat.

Many people are obese because they were never taught properly how to eat and how to avoid the pitfalls of advertising. As parents we are doing our damnedest to make sure our child is well aware of it and that he develops a preference for real food, fresh fruit and healthy snacks.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    But like cigarettes, it is MY responsibility what I put into my body... not the Government's and not the Food Manufacturers... no one is forcing me to buy the doritos.... no one is forcing me to buy the candy... at least not directly.

This is the way I see it. The only thing I feel that they need to change (back) is to stop allowing companies to advertise to children. There was a time when it was illegal to market to kids..That should have never been changed.

The way we deal with it in our home is not to watch TV, at all. If we want to watch a show we will watch it commercial free from a DVD or download service where we can skip commercials or where they don't show up at all in the kids shows. Our child watches documentaries and educational programs. We have explained 'advertising' to him and reinforce it every time we see some commercial somewhere trying to sell us things we tell him - we educate him about the practices.

We also do not eat crap, we cook at home for the most part and when we go out to eat we avoid places like McDonald's so that we don't give him the taste for those foods. Desert is not an every-day thing but something for special occasions. He does not get chips, pop, sugary drinks, candy or any of that garbage. Ultimately as a parent it is your responsibility to monitor and control what your children eat.

Many people are obese because they were never taught properly how to eat and how to avoid the pitfalls of advertising. As parents we are doing our damnedest to make sure our child is well aware of it and that he develops a preference for real food, fresh fruit and healthy snacks.

While I respect what you are doing, I choose to focus more on keeping my kids active and to view food like that as a treat. We cook at home on most days but every now and then they get McDonalds as a treat.

As for the OP, this is manufacturing and marketing. Isn't part of the art of cooking to produce food that is pleasing to the pallet and while providing a layered experience? This is just this goal industrialized.

I see companies as amoral at best. They're job is to make the most money for their shareholders/owners. Their job are not to eschew profit in order to fit into the current ideal of healthy. If there is a market for a product and it is legal, a company will cater to that market. It is our job to decide whether we want to provide that market for those companies.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options

I like the part on avoiding the pitfalls of advertising. Being educated is probably the best thing we can do and I think that includes knowing that things like the practices mentioned in the OP are known.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I like the part on avoiding the pitfalls of advertising. Being educated is probably the best thing we can do and I think that includes knowing that things like the practices mentioned in the OP are known.

I think that is really the root of it all. Anecdote here: When I was in the 3rd grade I remember in Health Class (or was it part of DARE? Either way) they showed us what a healthy lung looked like and a smokers lung looked like, on video.... My parents are smokers and have been for as long as I can remember... but when I saw that smokers lung, that is the last thing I wanted in my body. My parents know what cigarettes do to their body, but they don't care. I know what junk food does to my body... and I'm trying to eliminate it... or at the very least limit it. I do believe that education is key... but were are people going to get that... having been taught at home (from the second half of 4th grade on) I am far removed from the public education system... so I wonder, are there still Home Ec classes? General Health Classes? or have they been done away with? Perhaps it might be something to look into and support future funding for so that the future generations have a better chance being healthy BEFORE there is a problem, because banning or over regulating things doesn't really work.
  • doorki
    Options

I think that is really the root of it all. Anecdote here: When I was in the 3rd grade I remember in Health Class (or was it part of DARE? Either way) they showed us what a healthy lung looked like and a smokers lung looked like, on video.... My parents are smokers and have been for as long as I can remember... but when I saw that smokers lung, that is the last thing I wanted in my body. My parents know what cigarettes do to their body, but they don't care. I know what junk food does to my body... and I'm trying to eliminate it... or at the very least limit it. I do believe that education is key... but were are people going to get that... having been taught at home (from the second half of 4th grade on) I am far removed from the public education system... so I wonder, are there still Home Ec classes? General Health Classes? or have they been done away with? Perhaps it might be something to look into and support future funding for so that the future generations have a better chance being healthy BEFORE there is a problem, because banning or over regulating things doesn't really work.

The guy who sits next to me just said that his kids refuse to eat at McDonalds because of "the indoctrination in the public schools."
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    The guy who sits next to me just said that his kids refuse to eat at McDonalds because of "the indoctrination in the public schools."

Did he mean that to be a bad thing?
  • doorki
    Options

Did he mean that to be a bad thing?

Yes. Rush Limbaugh told him that all education outside of math is indoctrination.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'd like to go on a rant about the ethics of developing products to appeal to people in this way, feeding the profit and paying the investors, but really, what else do we expect from corporations? I think it is up to each of us to educate ourselves about what is in our food.
    What bothers me the most is the labeling. I don't think health claims should be allowed, ever. It amazes me how some of my friends, who I believe to be intelligent people, don't read the ingredient and nutrition labels, but see the big print health claims. They don't want to discuss it, either. So, I let it be and stay quiet about my buying practices.

E.T.A. Educating people about what's in their food and teaching people that it really doesn't take any more time to cook a simple, nutritious meal from scratch than to wait in line at a drive through, and you are with your family while doing it, is the key to changing these corporate practices, but I'm not holding my breath. Sugar is the new food villain, and I'm sure labels are already touting the health benefits of some processed food with low-sugar (but who knows what else is in it?).