best place to buy "health foods" in Indy?

Options
Coolhand1969
Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
Ok, I have a little specialty health food store in the strip-mall by where I work (75th and Shadeland). It is where I bought Chia seeds the first time. However, their selection is limited and pricey... Does anyone else have any good places to buy stuff like that?

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure Trader Joe's sells chia seeds--check the aisle where they have the vitamins, supplements, and protein powder. If you don't find them there, I know Whole Foods carries them, but they'll likely be more expensive.
  • jtannehill75
    Options
    Amazon.com. Can usually find it cheaper on amazon and shipping is fast. Otherwise, I agree that Trader Joe's is where i'd look next, then whole foods. ( I hate how expensive health food is!)
  • desertcrafty
    desertcrafty Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am new to town and there isn't much where I live - I'm pretty surprised at the limited amount health food stores for a not-so-small city! They all seem concentrated on the north side and I live south. Trader Joe's is probably a good first try. I like to buy food in bulk - beans, rice etc. and so far I've been going to Whole Foods for that purpose.
  • arpcoleman
    Options
    I think we have more health food stores than people realize. They don't advertise very well.

Here are the ones I know of:

Georgetown Market (38th and Lafayette)
    Whole foods (Nora and Westfield)
    Natures Pharm (Madison? and Stop 12 or something like that and Castleton)
    Good Earth (Broadripple)
    Pogues Run (!0th and Rural)

There's another one that I can't remember the name of near the Castleton Square Mall. I heard a rumor they were building a trader joe's in greenwood. Anyone know anything about that? I live on the east side so going all the way up to 86th and Ditch is kind of a stretch.

If you live or work downtown/east side, check out Pogues Run for lunch. They have great deli sandwiches, with vegetarian and vegan options.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    There's no Trader Joe's at 86th and Ditch--the west side one is on 86th, but down opposite Sam's Club. The one near Castleton should be closer to you, shouldn't it? Across from TJ Maxx (between the mall and Allisonville).
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Far north side - there is also an Earth Fare that's pretty new at 146th and I-69 at Hamilton Towne Center. If you go on their website, they will often send you some great coupons too. There is another one opening at 116th and Rangeline later this year.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Far north side - there is also an Earth Fare that's pretty new at 146th and I-69 at Hamilton Towne Center. If you go on their website, they will often send you some great coupons too. There is another one opening at 116th and Rangeline later this year.

Awesome! Thanks!
  • tb221
    tb221 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just bought chia seeds from Kroger. They have a whole aisle or two of healthy food. I also like EarthFare. They have yummy free samples on the weekends! :)
  • cjvvus
    cjvvus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Trader joe has chia seeds and lots of other healthy choices. Also Natures pharm in Castleton across from best but and whole foods. I also frequent Good Earth in Broadripple staff very knowledgeable and helpful
  • cjvvus
    cjvvus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good Earth also has bulk beans,rice, quinoa etc.
  • npeery
    npeery Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love love love Earth Fare. I used to work at a hospital across from Hamilton Town Center mall and I ate the buffet at Earth Fare for lunch quite a bit.
  • meganw5638
    meganw5638 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Shameless plug for Good Earth - my stepson works there and his second cousin owns it. They are either second or third generation. Their staff is EXTREMELY knowledgeable and tenured. I know that both Earth Fare and Whole Foods have a lot of variety (along with Trader Joes), but if you prefer to support your locally-owned businesses, Good Earth is your best bet. :) Also, they sell duck food in the bulk bin area for cheap, and it's fun to take the kiddos outside to the canal and check out the wildlife.
  • desertcrafty
    desertcrafty Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I will for sure check out the bulk section at Good Earth!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • loriaqui
    loriaqui Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Country Nutrition in Greenwood. And the Kroger here has a good selection of stuff too~!