Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Options
This show was the first show I ever geeked out to. It will always hold a special place for me!

Replies

• Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I wanna kick *kitten* like Buffy!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Currently rewatching the whole series (and up to disc 5 of season 4, so at least halfway!). It will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm a huge Willow/Tara fan ^^

I coulda done without season 7 tho!
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options

I coulda done without season 7 tho!

People say that....but I liked it.
  • krokador
    Options
    It wasn't bad at all, but it moved away from almost everything that made Buffy... well, Buffy. The scoobies were pretty much always separated, and the focus was a lot more on the slayerettes than on the scoobies. The whole thing just felt kind of empty. And a lot of it forced, too.

As far as I can remember, anyway. I only ever saw it when it originally aired. I did enjoy the Spike-centric episode(s?) though. It's hard not to. :)
  • friendlybanana
    Options
    Hey! Saw the group and just had to join! Have you all read the Buffy comics? They're halfway through season 9 now. Season 8 went really way out there. Totally got away form the original premise. Whedon even wrote sort of an apology letter at the end of Season 8. They've tried to bring it back in and get it back to the roots in season 9. It's all good stuff though!
  • skinnygeekwithin
    skinnygeekwithin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I started to read them but got about halfway through Season 8 then stopped. Just couldn't grasp some of the things that were happening. Since you say it seems to be getting back on track, I may give them a shot again.
  • skinnygeekwithin
    Options
    I know a lot of people don't like season 7 either but I do too. That last ep reduces me to tears every single time. *sniff*
  • cindylu35
    cindylu35 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think they brought the slayerettes into the storyline because he wanted to end it BIG...and he knew Buffy would need help from her past AND the future to finish it. I miss this show and yes, I do own all the seasons on DVD. lol
  • disneyfan707
    disneyfan707 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    While my favorite seasons were anything not featuring Dawn, I am also a fan of season 7. I actually feel like they came back pretty strong after kinda wavering a bit in seasons 5 and 6. I just recently rewatched the whole series from beginning to end and I feel like it consistently gets better as I age. There's always something applicable that I can empathize with or relate to in my own life. Hands down, if I could only watch one tv show the rest of my life, it would be Buffy. I also feel an uncontrollable need to apologize to Captain Tightpants for saying that.
  • AlanTuring
    AlanTuring Posts: 159
    Options
    I personally find Seasons 6 and 7 to both be criminally underrated. There are some weak spots here and there, to be sure, but there are so many amazing moments in both seasons. I couldn't agree more that the difference in Season 7 is that the scope was so much more epic. It wasn't about Buffy and her pals, it was about the whole damned world and the mythology of the slayer line itself.

As far as season 8 goes, I even love it, tbh. It's an attempt to shift the story to the medium and allow for things like Buffy punching 1000 foot tall Indian Gods in the nose. Because she CAN. And of course, the reasoning that they gave for it just carried on that beautiful tinge of terror and sadness in the face of the entire world hanging in the balance in a much more real way than the Mayor's Ascension or the rise of Acathala coudn't strike. When you create an army, there are a LOT of consequences.

Season 8 went pretty wacky in parts, without a doubt, but it came back around to a grounded story that had insanely far-reaching consequences and ended with a heartbreak so hard that I can't possibly spoil it for anyone who hasn't read the books. There are silly bits that may have gone a bit too far, but the story underneath was pure Joss and pure Buffy and I wouldn't trade it for the world, in all honesty.

All of that said, Season 3 is still the best. Mayor Wilkins may be the best bad guy in anything ever ever.
  • krokador
    Options
    Well I'm currently towards the end of season 4 in my rewatching spree, so eventually it'll come to me giving season 7 a second chance. Most of my hatred for it was probably spilling over from Tara not being around anymore and finding most of the slayerettes + Dawn just irritating (I never liked Dawn. I'm sorry).

Season 4 has most of my favorite episodes in it. Hush, New Moon Rising, Who Are You and This Year's Girl.

All in all, I feel season 5 was actually the best one. Glory was an hilarious big bad, and as much as people will poop on Riley being a "boring guy", I was kinda sad when he left.

Season 6 was a bit of a whack job with a couple really great, intense episodes, mixed in with some weak ones that just made you go "Why?!", but it's hard not to put Tabula Rasa and Once More With Feeling up there in the list of best episodes of the series.

Now that I think about it, my first time watching I actually didn't like season 3 much. This time around I somewhat caught on to a lot more stuff that seemed to hit right home, so, it's like this show just gets better every time you watch it, basically!
  • friendlybanana
    Options
    Season 3 is tops for me. It was the epitome of the original premise of high school kids fighting vamps. It also had the best cast with Oz, Cordelia, Joyce, Angel, Spike, Anya, the Mayor, etc. Just about everyone was in it at some point. And it culminated with Graduation, which, come on, was just awesome.

Riley has to be one of my least favorite characters ever. I can't believe they tried to fill Angels shoes with him. And "Adam" as the Big Bad was just awful, IMHO. Season 4 did have Hush though, but it also had Beer Bad.

Season 6 would have to be my least favorite. I say that truly meaning least "favorite". I still enjoyed it immensely and Once More, With Feeling is one of my favorite episodes, right up there with Hush and The Body.

Like Alan said, I think the show actually improved in season 7. It was going to a new generation of slayers and I think they could have kept going for many years with it.

Y'all are making me want to go put some Buffy in and watch it for the umpteenth time. :-)
  • AlanTuring
    AlanTuring Posts: 159
    Options
    Speaking of Season 6, my vote for most underrated episode of Buffy has got to be Doublemeat Palace. The malaise and oddity of working fast food is just captured so perfectly.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Hey! Saw the group and just had to join! Have you all read the Buffy comics?

I have. Also been reading Angel & Faith and the other mini spin offs. This and Firefly are the only titles I buy from Dark Horse at the moment.
  • friendlybanana
    Options
    Angel & Faith is the best. Great story line and characters.

If you're a Star Wars fan there are a couple good Star Wars comics out right now from Dark Horse. They just started a new title called simply "Star Wars" a couple months ago. It takes place just after episode IV and has all the characters from that movie like Luke, Leia, Han, etc. It's pretty good. There is also another one called "Agent of the Empire" which is one of my favorite comics out right now. It's like a James Bond story set in the Star Wars universe. It just finished a five story arc and will probably be a few months before issue 11 comes out, but check it out if you get a chance.
  • skinnygeekwithin
    Options
    I may have to check those Star Wars ones out!
  • MadMonsterMom
    MadMonsterMom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm the crazy one who didn't like Angel, lol. I didn't hate him, but wasn't all crazy about him like everyone else. Same with Buffy. As much as I love the show, she's kind of annoying. I think part of the reason I like season 7 so much is because they call her out on the long-winded speeches a few times. My absolute favorite character is Anya.

Anyway, I love this show. I started watching it after my daughter was born, almost 9 years ago, and haven't stopped.