Introduce yourself to our own little Scoobie gang!

Options
Hey everyone! I'm Desiree'! I'm a 38 years young and I'm a geek. I wasn't always a geek though, I mean there was always shows that I loved but I wasn't out of the geek closet, per se. That is until Buffy came along. I didn't watch the tv series when it first aired, but my husband (then boyfriend) and I started watching it around 2003. We spent an entire summer getting caught up with Buffy then Angel and then we were hooked on all things Whedon. And then of course, we discovered Firefly. The rest, as they say, is history. We've loved Joss since and quickly try to absorb as much of anything he does whether it be the comic Fray, or his take on The Avengers or Cabin In The Woods.

Ok what else, I'm happily married to the love of my life, Chris. We've been married for 8 1/2 years now. I have one daughter, Devyn, who is 18. We just started going to conventions within the last few years and it is my goal to be skinny enough to maybe even cosplay one day. I'm also a huge fan of Doctor Who (as evidenced by my pic!), The Walking Dead, Star Wars, Supernatural, Sherlock and many more things. I'm also an avid movie buff, I used to manage a couple of movie theatres in my former life (before working in I.T. as I currently do).

Well thats about it for me! Tell me a little about yourself!

Replies

• SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm Michele. I have a great husband and lovable chubby cat named River (she has been losing weight with me!). I met my husband when I was 20 and he exposed me to the wonderful world of all things geek. Firefly was one of my first series. I blame reality TV and people's horrible taste in television programming as the reason Firefly was cancelled.

Some shows I've watched and LOVE:
    - Doctor Who
    - Firefly
    - Babylon 5
    - Sherlock
    - Farscape
    - Top Gear (BBC version ONLY)
    - Star Trek (in progress...got hooked through the movie and now going back to watch all of them. My mom was a trekkie so i guess it runs in the family, lol)
    - Star Wars (in progress)
    - many anime series (i was an anime addict before my husband)

I know I'm probably forgetting some but oh well! :ohwell:

Cheers! :drinker:
  • skinnygeekwithin
    skinnygeekwithin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm Michele. I have a great husband and lovable chubby cat named River (she has been losing weight with me!). I met my husband when I was 20 and he exposed me to the wonderful world of all things geek. Firefly was one of my first series. I blame reality TV and people's horrible taste in television programming as the reason Firefly was cancelled.

Some shows I've watched and LOVE:
    - Doctor Who
    - Firefly
    - Babylon 5
    - Sherlock
    - Farscape
    - Top Gear (BBC version ONLY)
    - Star Trek (in progress...got hooked through the movie and now going back to watch all of them. My mom was a trekkie so i guess it runs in the family, lol)
    - Star Wars (in progress)
    - many anime series (i was an anime addict before my husband)

I know I'm probably forgetting some but oh well! :ohwell:

Cheers! :drinker:

Oh I forgot to mention Top Gear BBC too. LOL.. I can just go ahead and say that I'm an Anglophile too so just about every show that is on BBC America is great!

I need to give Farscape a shot!
  • friendlybanana
    Options
    Hello hello, I'm Bruce. I'm 40 years old. I live with two cats. Well, rather I am butler and manservant for two cats. I never watched Buffy or Angel when it was on TV. I had seen the original Buffy movie and thought the TV show was just a silly spin off. I ended up dating this girl about five years ago whose favorite show was Buffy. She watched it all the time and I ended up watching it as a result. I bought the Angel seasons on DVD and then went back and watched all of Buffy. They are now both in my top all time favorites, and I love everything I've seen Whedon do. I also started reading comic books again after like a 25 year hiatus. It's amazing the talent level of writers and artists that do comics these days. It's certainly not like when I was a kid. Whedon is the executive producer on all the Buffy books and he even writes some of the issues from time to time. It's really cool to see the characters live on in print.

I hate to admit it but I'm not a Dr Who fan. Probably need someone to sit down and explain it to me while I watch it so I can get into it. I love Star Wars first and formost, and also Star Trek and lots of other sci-fi, fantasy, superhero, etc.
  • disneyfan707
    disneyfan707 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I'm Ashley, and I'm 29 years old (for another couple months anyways), and I'm what you could call a 'floater' nerd. I like a little bit of this, a little bit of that, but I'm only a pretty hardcore fan of a few things. Buffy is my favorite show, pretty much of all time. I'd seen the original movie when it was in theaters and I loved it. I was only like 10 at the time, but I had so much loyalty to it I was actually pretty mad to hear they were making a tv show. Oh, the laughs I have about that now! I watched it from the first episode and was hooked! I probably wouldn't have made it through high school without that show, and bits of Angel (which I have yet to actually watch from beginning to end). Eventually I was introduced to Firefly, which like Buffy was a life altering experience, and quickly became the second show I developed an unwavering loyalty to.

Aside from that my nerd creds are pretty standard, and here comes the 'floater' part. I grew up with a hardcore Trekkie, but was always more drawn to Star Wars. I'm a fan of Star Trek, The Original Series and Next Generation almost exclusively. As to Star Wars I went through a very hardcore period of time, but I never got into the expanded stuff outside the movies really. I have yet to watch Dr. Who, but my taste tends to be super similar to Desiree's so I'm taking it on good faith I will love it as much as she does. I'm also a fan of The Big Bang Theory, Supernatural, The Walking Dead, and a few other shows. While I was into comic books while I was younger, I've never really had the financial/ comic book store resources to fully indulge in that vice, but when I do, I prefer Marvel. When I say prefer, I mean I'm rabidly loyal to Marvel over DC, because let's be real- Batman is a Sith.

Some of my less 'nerdy' hobbies include shooting, camping, hiking (when everything works in favor of it), gardening, reading, learning to crochet, cooking/baking, beating the stuffing out of my punching bag, and fishing. I know a little about a lot and am definitely looking to meet new people as I prepare for the inevitable apocalypse I can only hope I'll be fit enough to survive. Nice to meet ya!
  • disneyfan707
    disneyfan707 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I live with two cats. Well, rather I am butler and manservant for two cats.

Ahhh another servant to the feline master race. Right on! Lol
  • here
    here Posts: 69
    Options
    Hello! I'm 27, I am a professional animator turned graduate student! I love Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse, Firefly, Battlestar Galatica, Stargate Atlantis, Doctor Who, The Walking Dead, and a bunch of other non-geeky shows...including reality tv (eee...).
  • skinnygeekwithin
    Options
    Welcome to the gang!
  • MadMonsterMom
    MadMonsterMom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well, hello. I'm Randi. I noticed that this message board has been kinda dormant for awhile, but thought I'd post anyway. I came upon this group when I was searching to see if anyone had come up with a Buffy Bootcamp, kinda framed around the season 7 potentials (in the backyard). Everytime I see that episode I think, there should be a Buffy Bootcamp. Since I'm on yet another Buffy marathon the thought crossed my mind again. I noticed that there aren't a lot of season 7 fans though, but I liked it. :)
  • skinnygeekwithin
    Options
    Hello and welcome Randi! I don't check in as often as I should but I'm still around! There should be a Buffy Bootcamp. That is an awesome idea!