How to approach doula "interview"?

Options
TheLaser
TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
Tomorrow I am meeting two potential doulas for the first time to potentially contract one of them for my labor and delivery. I have spoken with one of the phone, but even after looking at the DONA International website for potential interview questions, I still felt like I was not sure what to ask or how I will go about making a final decision. With other things, I usually feel like I have a good sense of what I'm looking for and how I will react. But with this whole birth thing I feel totally out of my element. The pregnancy has surprised me in so many ways that I feel like I don't know myself any more and I can't predict how I will react to labor. And how do I select someone who is basically a stranger to help me through one of the most intimate and difficult experiences of my life?

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'd guess you'll probably get a gut feeling. As for other suggestions, I can't say, but if it were me, and all of her qualifications were good (and she answered all my questions appropriately), I wouldn't hire her if I didn't feel like I could connect with her.

Hopefully the ladies who've done this before have more concrete advice!
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    Well, Your Doula is there to support you and to make you feel at ease. I'm sure you will be able to tell by meeting them in person if they can accomplish that. Ask about their job experience, training, what they love most about what they do, their rate, what you get for that rate.... I bet it will be an easier conversation then you think!
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Are you giving birth in a hospital? If so, does your doula have a relationship with that hospital? What techniques will she use to comfort you in delivery? Will she assist your partner as well? Does she offer any postpartum services? What do her fees include? What happens if shes not available during your delivery? etc. etc.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Update:

Thanks for the suggestions and advice, everyone! (Those were great Q's, Jaimemariel) I met with the first doula (the other one had to cancel) and I liked her a lot. It turns out we had covered many of those technical questions over the phone and email, so this was to see if we "clicked," which we definitely did, and to follow up with some of my & my husband's specific concerns (e.g. what does "support" exactly entail and when). I love that she came prepared also with questions for me. Now I'm worried I'll like ALL of them and won't be able to decide!
  • misskristy30
    Options
    I went in with nothing...LOL. And I'm usually prepared, too. But as we talked I just knew I wanted her to be my doula. She was so passionate about it and just so sweet. I hope yours go (went?) well. :)
  • misskristy30
    Options
    Just saw your update! Glad it went well and hopefully you'll be able to decide on one. ;)