Doing 12 tomorrow...

ValerieMomof2
ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
I seriously swore for years I would never run over a 10K and now that I decided to do the 1/2, every time I go more distance I get very anxious. We have a group going out to do a very hilly 12 miles and I just can't imagine running that. Anyone else going through this same anxiety!?!? I know I put way too much pressure on myself to run it all so I need to relax.

And on a side note, I got fitted for new shoes yesterday and they said to go ahead and run in them so that will be interesting!

Replies

• jon1289
    jon1289 Posts: 24 Member
    Well Valerie, When I met my new partner in July 2011 I never dreamed I would be running a half marathon this month. (March 17)

In preparation for it we started late November last year and have built up which included long runs of 10, 11 and 12 miles. So long as you have some shorter long runs behind you, I am sure you will stroll this 12 miles - not literally mind you!

Yep! It will be tough. However you CAN do it. Try breaking the run up into smaller parts in your mind. So when you have say 3 or 4 miles left to run you can tell yourself "it's just like my regular short run". I think it's important to get into the mindset of 'running the mile you are in'. Just concentrate on that mile, then the next, then the next.....

I was very anxious about entering this half marathon before I began training. I really wasn't sure I would complete it. Now I know I WILL complete it next Sunday (Barring serious injury) and not only that I know I am in for a good shout of beating the 2 hour mark. If I don't manage that then that's ok but it would be the icing on the cake....and maybe afterwards I can eat lots of it too!

Good luck with your 12 mile run. If you have posh new shoes you will find they will speed you along too.
  • ValerieMomof2
    Thanks! It actually went well and I was able to run every step--even a hill I hadn't ever been able to make it up when we only were doing 4-5 so I am very pleased!
    Sounds like you are more than prepared for Saturday and hope it goes fabulously!
  • jon1289
    Brilliant! Thats great! Well done :)

Thanks for your good wishes too. I'll post back and let you know!
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Great job!
  • ofccat
    My anxiety comes on race day. When training even for 5 and 10k and this 1/2 I've been fine. But come race day I always go I to panic attack mode :-/
  • jon1289
    Well my race was completed last Sunday (thankfully as today there is deep snow all over!) Had a fantastic run and just missed out on a sub 2 hour race! Time in was 2 hours 2 mins! Pretty good for my first race.

Felt very good up to 11 miles then my legs felt quite heavy. I think that was down to maybe not running more longer runs - missed a 13 mile trainer - however still good at the end of the day.

My split times were great for the first 5 or 6 miles. Probably too fast in hindsight but it wasn't because I was pushing it...more that I was running quite happily.

Had gel at 4.5 and 9 miles and water at 9 miles. The gels worked a treat!

My times: 9:17, 8.33, 8.52, 8.43, 8.41, 9.15, 9.37, 9.06, 9.36, 9.31, 9.54, 9.54, 10.27, 9.57 Average: 9.21

So going to work on some technique to even out the times though there were some hills in there hence the slower mile 6-8
  • ValerieMomof2
    That is awesome! You should be very proud!
  • jon1289
    I am Valerie! Thankyou :) Can't wait for the next one now.....
  • ofccat
    Wow awesome job!
  • jon1289
    Thankyouuuu....We enjoyed it so much we now have to do another one!! And have one in mind for June though it'll be a lot tougher as it has some decent climbs especially one at 12 miles! So I'll be posting again on my progress to Race Number Two!