Hiking?

Options
Does anyone here know of good places to hike? Preferably places near central indiana for transportation reasons. But spring is coming and hiking is one of my family and I's absolute favorite things to do. Ease or difficulty isn't an issue, they're all fun- particularly the more challenging trails. Thank you! :3

Replies

• rjneeley
    rjneeley Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hiking in central Indiana can be challenging, not knowing how far you are willing to go. I lived in Hendricks county for awhile, and we liked to go to McCormicks Creek state park. We now live in Columbus which is more south central so we go to brown county state park, hardy lake, Clifty Falls, etc. If you like a long challenging hike, try the Morgan Monroe state forest south if martinsville; there are 2 ten-mile trails there. Maybe you could get the book Hiking Indiana for more trails. Sycamore Loop, Charles Deem Wilderness - there are tons of parks and trails around! Let me know where you are and I might have more suggestions :)
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You could go to Morgan Monroe State Forest. It has 2 10 mile trails that are most worthy. It's about 60 miles from Indy. As far as transportation goes there's the Indianapolis Hiking Club. You could share the ride. Also they have several hikes daily and locally.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Fort Benjamin Harrison State Park is an excellent place to hike.

Also, what about Eagle Creek?
  • DargDog
    DargDog Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It may be a little farther than you wish to drive, but both Shades State Park and Turkey Run have excellent trail systems. Personally, I prefer Shades because it doesn't seem to be nearly as crowded on the weekends and there is a very nice Nature Preserve adjacent.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    It may be a little farther than you wish to drive, but both Shades State Park and Turkey Run have excellent trail systems. Personally, I prefer Shades because it doesn't seem to be nearly as crowded on the weekends and there is a very nice Nature Preserve adjacent.

said Nature Preserve, Pine Hills, rocks!! especially Devil's Backbone... but don't spread the word too much... I like it nice and quiet there ;)
  • DargDog
    DargDog Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I hear what you are saying Coolhand- it is about 15 minutes from my house :)
  • npeery
    npeery Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Check out Mounds Park in Anderson