Team Twilight Mojo-Vator Challenge 3-11/3-17

Options
surfrgrl1
surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
Ladies, its time for another Team Twilight Weekly Challenge......this week's theme is 'What's your Walking Mojo-vator?'

I always enjoy looking for inspiration for my continued healthy journey. As a result of school fundraiser, I recently resubscribed to Weight Watchers magazine. While I am, and always will be, a calorie counting Gal, I enjoy their articles. Our challenge this week is borrowed from an article in the March/April issue which is paraphrased below.

Experts say the key to getting and staying moving is to focus on the aspects of your workout that makes you happy 'RIGHT NOW'. Whether its the whiff of a neighbor's lavender garden or confiding in a friend while tackling a trail.
These IMMEDIATE benefits are far more motivating than down-the-road ones, like decreasing the risk of health problems, etc.

5 Mojo-Vators

Fresh Air-
Walking in a natural outdoor environment can decrease stress levels by up to 50%, help you sleep better, and decrease mild depression better than indoor activities. Pick a pretty street or park, or walk at your favorite time of day.

Tuning into Success
Make a feel good playlist on your iPod, the right music can make your workout longer, more energizing, relaxing, etc.

Companionship and Conversation
Walking with your spouse or a friend is healthy for your relationships and waistlines.

'Lightbulb' moment
The solution to a stubborn problem could be a short walk away.

Smell of Victory-
Aromas are powerful and can conjure positive memories.
Scent of pine needles might make you think of a merry Christmas and take your focus off of how long you have been walking... You can challenge yourself to identify 3 scents on your walk, making it feel like an aromatherapy session!

:smile: :smile: This week our Mojo-Vator challenge includes:

:glasses: 60 minutes OUTDOOR activity
Focus on the 5 Mojo-Vators or your own Mojo-Vators, and report which ones you tried out and what worked for you.

:drinker: H20 8X8 daily

:blushing: Strive for 5 veggie/fruit combo daily

:flowerforyou: Check in.....give the group a recommendation for a food you have discovered during your healthy journey, what you like about it, and how you eat it. (Food prep ideas)

I wish you all a great week ladies, and I really look forward to seeing everyone's accomplishments throughout the challenge!!
XXOO
Surfrgrl1

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Yvonne! I'm definitely in, but it will be easier for me to get out than the folks who are still slogging through snow.
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Great challenge, Yvonne!:flowerforyou: I definitely need to find my mojo. :grumble:

I know we're going to have quite a bit of rain this week, but with the longer days hopefully I'll be able to fit in some outdoor walking. I know I MUCH prefer walking outdoors in my neighborhood to walking inside or even on a circular track.

Hope everyone has a great week!:flowerforyou:
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    Gosh, I failed to list anything Twilight related for our challenge.

...one Mojo-Vator I had a few years ago when I first got the Twilight bug, was to imagine that Edward was jumping from tree to tree along my walking path, keeping an eye out for me. If the wind was blowing, the treetops were swaying, and it helped fuel my imagination. It kept me smiling, that's for sure!
  • ScarlettVamp
    Options

...one Mojo-Vator I had a few years ago when I first got the Twilight bug, was to imagine that Edward was jumping from tree to tree along my walking path, keeping an eye out for me. If the wind was blowing, the treetops were swaying, and it helped fuel my imagination. It kept me smiling, that's for sure!

Technically everything you listed can be Twilight related which means you get an A+ on this week's Team Twilight Challenge!

Fresh Air - We all know how vampires and wolves enjoy being out in the fresh air and feeling the wind in their face as they run. Bella enjoyed the rare sunshine in Forks, and she and Edward both enjoyed spending time in the fresh air in their meadow.

Tuning into Success - Edward has a vast and varied music collection and was listening to music in his car and in his room. Alice also loves music and at the graduation party had to decide on familiar music or something that would "educate" her guests.

Companionship and Conversation - The Cullens had no friends at school, but enjoy each others company. When Bella comes along, Edward has a companion and someone he can converse with outside of his mind and his family circle. In New Moon, Bella turns to Jacob for companionship and conversation that doesn't cause her more pain.

'Lightbulb' moment - Bella has these throughout the Twilight books where she suddenly figures out the answer to a burning question, such as when she figures out that Edward is a vampire and that Jacob is a wolf, or when she connects Seattle's newborn problem to Victoria coming after her.

Smell of Victory - Scent is present throughout the Twilight books as the vampires and wolves have such a keen sense of smell. The scent of Bella's blood is so potent for Edward that it "sings" for him. The "sweet" scent of the vampires burns the wolves' noses. The "stink" of the wolves is unpleasant to the vampires.
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'll try my best this week. The outdoor activity may or may not be possible depending on mother nature who apparently is having whiplash inducing mood swings this week. It was 70 yesterday, then supposed to snow by wednesday
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options

Technically everything you listed can be Twilight related which means you get an A+ on this week's Team Twilight Challenge!

Fresh Air - We all know how vampires and wolves enjoy being out in the fresh air and feeling the wind in their face as they run. Bella enjoyed the rare sunshine in Forks, and she and Edward both enjoyed spending time in the fresh air in their meadow.

Tuning into Success - Edward has a vast and varied music collection and was listening to music in his car and in his room. Alice also loves music and at the graduation party had to decide on familiar music or something that would "educate" her guests.

Companionship and Conversation - The Cullens had no friends at school, but enjoy each others company. When Bella comes along, Edward has a companion and someone he can converse with outside of his mind and his family circle. In New Moon, Bella turns to Jacob for companionship and conversation that doesn't cause her more pain.

'Lightbulb' moment - Bella has these throughout the Twilight books where she suddenly figures out the answer to a burning question, such as when she figures out that Edward is a vampire and that Jacob is a wolf, or when she connects Seattle's newborn problem to Victoria coming after her.

Smell of Victory - Scent is present throughout the Twilight books as the vampires and wolves have such a keen sense of smell. The scent of Bella's blood is so potent for Edward that it "sings" for him. The "sweet" scent of the vampires burns the wolves' noses. The "stink" of the wolves is unpleasant to the vampires.

boo-ya, b1tches! twi-journey just knocked this one out of the park! <not even jasper could catch it> well said!
    *edited to uncensor my potty mouth*
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    got in my fresh air today listening to muse and imagining that i was victoria tracking someone to play with and eat! but then i broke into workout/circuit mode and pretended that i was training for some knock down on the volturi - 90's grunge, of course. and it's a twilighty day here - imagine - 60 degrees, light breeze, gray sky - and it smells like rain!
  • w8sarge
    w8sarge Posts: 3,812 Member
    Options
    Sounds like such a great challenge, Yvonne! I need to find my mojo-vators for sure!

Twijourney, you said it so beautifully! Chantriste is right, you totally hit that one out of the ballpark (or meadow, shall we say!)

Going to go weed in a bed that has yellow, white and purple flowers, hmmmm, nice!!
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    LeighAnn what an awesome way to sum it all up! Thank you for rekindling my Twilight romance!

Monday report out:

S45: strawberries, peaches, blackberries, lettuce, potatoes, apple

H20: 5 glasses and counting

Cardio: 40 minutes walking, of which about 10 minutes was spent outside. . I had meetings in 2 different buildings today and parking is never close. after my tunnel lunch walk, I took an outside route to cool off.

Mojo-Vator: I did my tunnel walk with my coworker, I sure felt less stressed when we were done. I thought about Stacy asking once if I had run into bad vampires in the tunnels, which made me chuckle! No vampires or unsavory characters today.

:flowerforyou:

Edited to list a favorite food. I really enjoy pistachios. Walgreens has had their snack size bags on sale 2/$1 and I have been stocking up. Crunchy, salty, tasty, plus they are really good for you too!

http://www.pistachiohealth.com/consumer/nutrition
  • 77tes
    Options
    Day 1 check in

5 Mojo-Vators

Fresh Air- I went out in the backyard and pulled weeds for an hour. :)
    Tuning into Success - Oops! I forgot to listen to music while I pulled those weeds.

Companionship and Conversation - I actually did this alone, but Susie and I had a great gab /exercise session in the morning.

'Lightbulb' moment - I figured out what to do for dinner this week. Does that count?

Smell of Victory- The damp dirt has a nice "earthy" smell. And my citrus trees smell wonderful!

This week's Mojo-Vator challenge
    60 minutes OUTDOOR activity - got that Done!
    Focus on the 5 Mojo-Vators what worked for me? Outdoor exercise!
    :H20 11X8 today
    Strive for 5 - raisins, celery, carrots, orange, banana, salad greens, avocado.
    Check in.....give the group a recommendation Plan your snacks and don't get too hungry.
  • Shell_7609
    Options
    5 Mojo-Vators

Fresh Air- Not much today, I got a good after-work walk in yesterday, but I woke up this morning & was pretty sure Akron Ohio had turned into Forks overnight - grey & raining all day - but no vampires or wolves

Tuning into Success - I fine-tuned my workout playlist to include more songs that keep me going

Companionship and Conversation - not too much today, I was tired of my co-morons today & pretty much tuned everything out

'Lightbulb' moment - nothing today

Smell of Victory- Just the smell of coffee is almost enough to get me up & moving, although the way today was going, just smelling wasn't enough

This week our Mojo-Vator challenge includes:

60 minutes OUTDOOR activity: 0/60 - this one might be hard here, cloudy tuesday, inch of snow wednesday, 34 thursday, 44 friday - all this after 70 degrees on sunday

H20 8X8 daily : 8/8

Strive for 5 veggie/fruit combo daily: got 5 in today: grapes, apple, carrots, lettuce, tomato, dried cranberries

Check in.....recommendations, Kind bars, Im not going to recommend a particular flavor because I've yet to find one I didn't like, but Dark chocolate cherry cashew & dark chocolate cinnamon pecan are AMAZING - 100% natural ingredients, around 200 calories each & many of them have added protein or antioxidants and the best part is that you know what everything in the ingredients are
  • ScarlettVamp
    Options
    Day 1 check in

5 Mojo-Vators

Fresh Air - Walked outside with a co-worker for about 5 minutes because she had to go down the block to make an appt.

Tuning into Success - Listened to Maroon 5 radio on Pandora at work to keep me from losing my sanity, but that's it.

Companionship and Conversation - Spent my lunch hour chatting with a friend/co-worker including during the little walk outside.

'Lightbulb' moment - I realized that if I don't get my carb/sugar addiction under control I'm going to be 273 lbs again in no time.

Smell of Victory - Made spaghetti with Italian sausage for hubby and the sausage smelled SO good. Though I didn't succeed in staying away from too many carbs, I did replace the sausage on my pasta with chicken.

This week's Mojo-Vator challenge:

60 minutes OUTDOOR activity - 5/60
    Focus on the 5 Mojo-Vators what worked for me? Lightbulb moment.....must CHANGE current habits to succeed again
    H20: 8 x 8 today
    Strive for 5 - lettuce, tomato, cucumber - more than one serving of each though.
    Check in/recommendations - Spring is almost here and produce is plentiful - salads are a great calorie saver
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    TEAM TWILIGHT IS THE BEST!!!!!:heart:
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    Tuesday check in:

15/ 60 minutes OUTDOOR activity
    Focus on the 5 Mojo-Vators or your own Mojo-Vators, and report which ones you tried out and what worked for you.
    *Listened to music after work to sooth the savage beast. Rough day at work.
    * briefly got outside, very Windy out, so there weren't any smells lingering!
    *no partner walk today
    *lightbulb moment....work stress...surely can't last forever right?

H20 5 and counting

Strive for 5 veggie/fruit combo. My lunch was cut very short and I didn't get to finish all of my salad. :-(.
    Lettuce, tomatoes, olives, peppers, freeze dried berries,

Food recommendation...tonight I made Jamie Eason's recipe for chocolate protein bars substituting vanilla soy protein powder in place of whey. Darn they are good. Very much like chocolate cake but with way fewer calories. 2 bars are 96 calories and 1 gram fat and 10 grams protein. Yum! Here is the link in case you want to check them out.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-chocolate-protein-bars.htm
  • ScarlettVamp
    Options
    Day 2 Check In

60 minutes OUTDOOR activity - 10/60 - another 5 minute lunch time walk...with a different co-worker this time... to pick up lunch

Mojovator - Tuning into success - Danced around to some Maroon 5 in my kitchen

Strive for 5 - lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrots, cauliflower, sugar snap peas

Check in/recommendations - Maple Grove Farms of Vermont Honey Dijon Fat Free Dressing - 35 calories for 2 tablespoons - a bit sweet, a bit tart and perfect for salad or as a dipping sauce for chicken
  • Shell_7609
    Options
    5 Mojo-Vators

Fresh Air- Not much today, only walking from the car to where i was going: grocery store, gym, dinner meeting

Tuning into Success - used my workout playlist to get through a workout & avoid the tweens at the gym, especially the high school age boy wearing a "I <3 Stifler's mom" tshirt staring at my fat backside while I was on the leg curl machine.

Companionship and Conversation -some, had a few conversations with a good friend who supports my journey

'Lightbulb' moment - successfully completing 3 sets of 12 reps of smith machine bench presses

Smell of Victory-

This week our Mojo-Vator challenge includes:

60 minutes OUTDOOR activity: I'm going to say 10 minutes, mostly spent walking from my car to the various errands I had today

H20 8X8 daily : 8/8

Strive for 5 veggie/fruit combo daily: Pear, orange & yellow carrots, lettuce, green beans, pineapple, some overcooked broccoli (work related buffet dinner) and can I count the carrots in the carrot cake?

Check in.....recommendations, 2 breakfast Ideas from Fred (my trainer) A Clif bar with 1/2 cup of grapes, or take 8oz Fage 2% yogurt, add 2 tbsp preserves and 1 tbsp sliced almonds. both surprisingly filling, and the fage yogurt is very high in protein
  • 77tes
    Options
    Day 2 & 3 check in

5 Mojo-Vators

Fresh Air- Tuesday I walked a 45 min. hilly walk on campus before going into work. Wed.a slow 45 minute walk with the hubby.

Tuning into Success - Listened to music during my lunchbreak today. "White Demon Love Song," "Sattelite Heart, and "I belong to You" :heart:

Companionship and Conversation - I talked to my daughter on the phone as I walked on Tues and to the hubby on Wed.

'Lightbulb' moment - I think my daughter and hubby got some inspiration from the walking/convo

Smell of Victory- The air has been so lovely and fresh and full of spring scents.

This week's Mojo-Vator challenge
    150/60 minutes OUTDOOR activity.
    Focus on the 5 Mojo-Vators what worked for me? Talking and realizing that not all exercise has to be about calorie burn, it is okay to go out for a slow walk and talk with hubby. (He really does walk SO SLOW, though).
    :H20 10X8 Tues. and so far 9X8 today
    Strive for 5 - celery, carrots, orange, tomato, zuchinni, & avocado Tues. Today, almost the same but the veg for dinner may be different (hubby will surprise me) and I had raisins with my breakfast oatmeal.
    Check in..... Recommendation: Find ways to incorporate family favorites (with portion control) into your diary. Tonight, I'm eating Mac and Cheese with no shame.
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    :smile: 20/ 60 minutes OUTDOOR activity Took the tunnels at work again today for 30 minutes with a small detour outside to cool off. The wind was chilly but tomorrow and Friday will be much better for walking outside.

:bigsmile: Companionship- Walked with my coworker. Lots of discussion as my company is terminating a lot of people without warning. It is freaky. It helps to have someone to share, vent, listen, and generate ideas with!

Lightbulb....stress creates the need for me to walk, and walking gets rid of the stress. I want to walk for fun, and not because I have work stress. some day!

Listened to music on the radio on the way in to work. But not while exercising.

H20 6 of 8 so far

Strive for 5 Lettuce, tomato, peaches, blackberries, strawberries, apple

I took some of my chocolate protein bars to work and shared with my cube mate. She really liked them. They are such an awesome chocolate fix. For my food recommendation today, I love fresh strawberries, one of my favorite fruits. I like to slice them in halves and take them in my lunch. I find that it is more convenient for me to have finger food in my lunches, easier to throw back in the lunch bag when I get interrupted. No reheating required.
  • ScarlettVamp
    Options
    Day 3 Check In

60 minutes OUTDOOR activity - 15/60 - I was late for work today and had to park in East Egypt which meant a hike up two hills and across 2 parking lots to get to the building and the reverse to get back to my car. I called it 5 minutes to be fair.

Mojovator - Tuning into success - Listened to Maroon 5 and had a great daydream starring Adam Levine....that was rudely interrupted by a coworker!:grumble:

Strive for 5 - broccoli only but at least it was more than 2 servings.

Check in/recommendations - Boiled eggs are a great take along breakfast or snack when you're trying to up your protein intake.
  • 77tes
    Options
    Twilight related - the young tutors at the lab were discussing how they went to school with Taylor. :happy: