Anyone training for their first Marathon this year?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am also doing my first marathon in October and following the Hal Higdon plan. I'm running the marathon with a charity group, so I will do the weekend long runs with the group and the rest on my own.

Feel free to add me! The more support, the better!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am planning on running my first full this Fall with my husband and one of his friends. The friend is running a full in every state and this will be his very last one to do. My husband has run two full marathons already. I have completed two half marathons and a bunch of smaller races so I am really looking forward to doing this...I think. I have heard so many horror stories about the training and hitting "the wall" and all...but with those two guys to help me around any obstacles, I am enthusiastic about this! I have always used Hal Higdon programs in the past and am planning on utilizing them again.

Words of wisdom are always welcome!!!
  • MarshmallowLegs
    MarshmallowLegs Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I may be crazy.... I just ran my first 5K and I am hoping I can get trained up for the Seattle Marathon on Dec. 1st..
  • cynthiatwayne
    Options
    Did my first full in 2011 and had to defer my second in 2012 but going back this year to run that one so will be training for the 2nd but almost feels like the first since its been a long hiatus.

Just finished my 8th half last Saturday and training for halfs 9 and 10 which are in the next few weeks. My 10th will be the Boston Run to Remember on Memorial Day weekend and given the events in Boston recently and the bravery of all involved, it will be a VERY emotional event and I feel very blessed to be able to honor all on that day.

The thing that resonates with me every time I am involved or with a bunch of other runners is what an amazing community this is that I am part of.....runners really ROCK!!!!

Cyndi
  • tniemeyer
    tniemeyer Posts: 321
    Options
    Yes, I have my first full in October. I just did my first half a couple weeks ago and have a little over a month till training starts in June. Thinking about some of those long runs can definitely be overwhelming but I'm still excited. Thankfully I'm training with a group and have a couple friends in the group too.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I ran my first full last fall and am in training for my second with a third scheduled for later this year.

Training is going much easier this time around! Whew! I am up to 18 miles and am generally following a combination of Hal Higdon Novice 2 and Intermediate plans.

For my first marathon I trained in a group with coaches and it was INVALUABLE! If there are any group training programs available to you throuhg a local running store, the race organizers or local running/track clubs I highly encourage you to check it out. The support, structure, advice and company on those long runs was amazingly helpful and reall helped prepare me.

I am training on my own now but becuase I became friends with several of the members of my training group I still go on lots of informal group runs and have been doing part of my long runs with company. So the training group is still paying off!

Rest. Eat well. Rest. Seek medical advice right away if get injured. Get massages after the 20 milers. Foam roll. Stretch. Rest.

Good luck and take good care of yourself.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I may be crazy.... I just ran my first 5K and I am hoping I can get trained up for the Seattle Marathon on Dec. 1st..
    You aren't crazy, the people who will be running Seattle as their 4th marathon of the weekend are crazy
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first marathon in November. Originally signed up to do the half that weekend, but then I've decided I have enough time to train for the full.

I was training for a 10 miler that happened this past weekend, but I injured myself in Feb. so did the alternative 4 miler. On now to marathon training with little to no injury (I hope!). Anyone feel free to add me!
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I completed my first full 2 weeks ago :drinker:

I haven't run since :sad: Lets not talk about that ha! injured :mad:

Feel free to add me!
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Congrats and best of luck.

I am also running my first marathon in Sept of 2013, Erie, PA. I have decided on a Hal training program as well the 18 week, advanced 1. It seemed to offer some nice variety and matches my schedule of running a 10k in June, half marathon in July and the full in Sept.

I have only run a few 5k's and thought I had topped out there until I spent a couple of weeks examining my running style and realized that I am more of a glider than a gazelle. Since switching to that style and turning a 3 steps per second cadence, midfoot strike, I have shaved one minute of my mile pace for a 5k. Re energized to say the least. Tomorrow is my first 10 mile run.

Would love to have more running MFP friends as well. Good luck to all.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Marine Corps Marathon on Oct 27th, and ramping up my running. I've done several halves, but ran my first 13-miler last week. I had some soreness in my knee (patellar tendonitis), but I bought a strap and iced it for a day, and it feels perfect again not even 48 hours later. I'm hoping to finish at the 4hr mark, but I'm sure I'm in for a surprise or two :)