Oversupply? Help?!

Options
Jenny_Rose77
Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
Hey moms, did any of you have problems with oversupply/overactive letdown? My son is 10 weeks yesterday, and I feel like my supply has calmed down somewhat...but I am still producing way more than he needs, and the only way he can comfortably nurse is in the side-lying position. This makes it so hard to go places with him because nursing in a sitting position is always a bit of a spectacle with him pulling off and milk going everywhere. Ugh! Somebody help me. What can I do to slow it down? We're going on vacation in a few weeks and I am dreading trying to feed him in the airport/on the plane/in transit to the hotel...Erg.

Replies

• redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My daughter is 11 weeks and I my oversupply and over active let down is actually worsen in the last few weeks. I think because my baby has a very string latch and suckles very strongly the milk just pouring and she can not swallow that fast. Plus I have way too much milk, she never can empty my breast , which cause engorgement and it actually became mastitis in the last week. Not fun!
    I talked to the nurse at the 2 months immunization appointment and she gave me a few tips:
    Try to feed in position when the breast and nipple is not hanging downward . Of course the best is laying down on your side, but that is not always an option.
    Elevate the baby head an try to hold the baby at an angle position, so gravity helps her to swallow faster. When I am BFing her outside our home I sit with my leg crossed and try to keep my knee up as high as I can. I support the baby head with my knee and she is in an angled position al ost 45 degree. I hold my breast with my hand and slightly tilt the nipple upward. It seem to help a bit.
    The nurse also said to burb the baby often even during the feeding, becaue the fast swallowing makes them swallow a lot of air too.

All of this may help a little bit, but I just hope that over time my supply goes down because this make BF a battle.
  • dinomomma
    dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Try block feeding, that helped us.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hi! I struggled with oversupply a couple months ago and found that block feeding helped us a lot. Even though it left one breast horribly uncomfortable. I did 4 hour blocks and after about 2 weeks o f that my supply went back down. I was very scared of getting mastitis but it never happened. Good luck to you!!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Options
    Hi! I struggled with oversupply a couple months ago and found that block feeding helped us a lot. Even though it left one breast horribly uncomfortable. I did 4 hour blocks and after about 2 weeks o f that my supply went back down. I was very scared of getting mastitis but it never happened. Good luck to you!!

I am so scared of getting mastisis!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I am giving block feeding a go. My boobs hurt so much. Lol. Sigh.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Just going to add that I was engorged for a good while, like 2-3 weeks and didn't get mastitis. So I think it takes some time. Best of luck.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Block feeding. Worked for me. I also used the oversupply in my favor before I went back to work. I pumped between feedings to get a huge supply of frozen milk. Never had to stress about supplemental pumping.
  • mommamellymac
    mommamellymac Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Try that block feeding..! Take a good shower and massage to try to avoid mastitis! Good luck!