Advancing weights when you are struggling?

Options
weese17
weese17 Posts: 236 Member
This is probably a dumb question, so I apologize in advance.

So. I'm hitting my reps for the squat at 55kg, but on some of the reps, I'm REALLY struggling. There have been a few times when my shrieks have reminded me of childbirth. ;) So -- should I advance to 57.5? Or should I stay at 55 until all my reps are perfect and I'm not nearly missing some?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify: Are you getting all 5 reps of all 5 sets? Or is it more like 5-4-4-3-5 (as an example)? You're going to have sets or reps where your form is off or you struggle to move the weight, especially as you progress. I, personally, don't up my weights every workout; I do every other one to give myself an opportunity to make sure my form is good before moving on.

Do whatever you're comfortable with. You can give the 57.5kg a shot. If it's too much of a struggle, you can drop back down to 55.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I add weight to my squats once a week instead of each time. I'm progressing slower, but I'm concentrating a lot on form, and want to make sure I have it before I go up in weight. It's kind of up to you. When you are struggling, how is your form doing? If there's form breakdown, it's pretty much the same as failing. (If you were to consider what you're doing like failing, you'd repeat it up to two more times, and if you can't get it, then deload 10%; at least, according to program).
  • weese17
    Options
    Thanks, you guys. I'm hitting all my reps and sets, but yeah, form is breaking down. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one not able to advance according to the prescribed schedule! Makes me feel like a bit of a loser, which I know is silly but I feel that way regardless.

appreciate the input!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I repeated weights when I felt my form was just not right. It seemed better than increasing and stalling too early or getting injured.

Honestly, form seems more important than the increased weight and when I've repeated a weight to concentrate on form I find the next increase is easier than I expected.
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I repeated weights when I felt my form was just not right. It seemed better than increasing and stalling too early or getting injured.

Honestly, form seems more important than the increased weight and when I've repeated a weight to concentrate on form I find the next increase is easier than I expected.

Pretty much what everyone has said, especially this one. I think form is more important. I didn't add weight last week just so I could work on form. My form is so much better on squats now and will probably up my weight this week.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Always choose form over weight, and it's perfectly fine to increase weights fractionally as long as you do increase over time, even just a little bit. I don't increase every workout, but I do increase regularly because I'm here to build me some muscles and gain strength. :smile:

I'd rather do my sets cleanly than risk injury, and I start everything, every time, with the empty bar and focus on form for the first few reps before I start adding plates and go up to my working sets for the day. That's all part of building muscle memory.

If your form is crappy with non-work sets then it makes no sense to go to work sets and push yourself. We all have off days when we're tired or not so focused or whatever, and we all progress a little differently, so it's perfectly fine to scale back a little and be patient with yourself and your progress.

Having said that, strive for a solid form that works for you and your body; the basic guildelines for form apply to everyone, but there's variations also because we're not all the same and don't all move the same.
  • weese17
    Options
    Thank you SO much, everyone, for the feedback! You're all basically saying what I was thinking (form over progression), but it definitely helps to have that POV reinforced. :)