Just a note to my friends here!

Options
lself0924
lself0924 Posts: 113 Member
Good morning to all, I hope everyone is doing well!

I wanted to take a few minutes to share what's on my mind with you all. Hopefully I can offer something positive that may encourage you.

I've struggle with my weight my entire life (although I look back 25 years ago, I wasn't as fat as I thought I was). My first diet was at 12 years old. I had to lose weight to play football (go figure). There was a 110 lb. weight limit and I had to lose 12 lbs to play, I lost 14, but I did miss the first real game because I missed the weigh in by 1/4 lb. Yes that's right ... point 2 5, ... 4 stinking oz.

Because of the image I had of myself (believing I was fat) it stirred a lot of different emotions with me and I behaved accordingly. I was/became an emotional eater. Eating made me feel good, my taste buds were very powerful, they could overcome a good portion of other negative feelings.

All that to say, January of this year something click with me and I'm grateful that it did. These changes I've made started about nine days before I even knew MFP existed. I had made a decision to "eat less, eat better and move more". The best way for me to do that was to journal everything I ate and all my exercise, so I wrote an Excel spreadsheet and I logged everything. Then I found MFP, MFP made that a lot easier.

I don't believe that MFP is a silver bullet, but I do believe that it is an incredible tool if someone is truly ready. In my case the student was ready! I say student because I've also committed myself to learn all I can about losing weight mainly because I want to help people and secondly to debunk all the non-sense theories out there (if they are non-sense).

I took the time this weekend to input all my MFP logging into another spreadsheet I created. Why? I was looking for pattern in my weight loss that would coincide with different eating habits, exercise habits, sodium intake, etc. I really didn't find any, except calories, calories, calories. Three months does not make for conclusive research but it's a start.

Two reasons I'm making this post!

1. I want to encourage you to keep going! I want to encourage you to go to the community forums and read post in the "Success Stories" category. They keep me really focused!

2. I want to ask if any of you are willing to let me put your info into my spreadsheet. I would like to have more information to draw from and I would love to share with you what I find.

Below is what mine looks like. Let me know if your interested.

afe217b0-32f3-45b6-b6ea-40c486bc62a1_zps340bfb29.jpg

Replies

• jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You can do mine if you like it is about the same time frame as yours also.
  • lself0924
    Options
    Wow dude, 30 lbs, that incredible!
  • Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to do mine too! I started 1-1.
  • jriehl08
    Options
    Thanks I have literaly been working my butt off....lol Im shooting for another 6 lbs this month. That will put me past half way on my goal.
  • that_Va_chick
    Options
    Please do mines..I started on 1/16/2013. Would love to find out your findings
  • lself0924
    Options
    I almost got Josh's done tonight. I'll work on everyone else's too. Thanks for letting me do this!
  • jriehl08
    Options
    I almost got Josh's done tonight. I'll work on everyone else's too. Thanks for letting me do this!

Hurry up man this is killing me...lol I cant wait to see the findings but I kinda have an idea. Lets see if your numbers equal what I think I know.
  • lself0924
    Options
    10a3c081-afad-4400-884f-79f91c118e98_zpsea78e80b.jpg
  • lself0924
    Options
    BTW Josh, you lost 7.85 more pounds that my spreadsheet predicted.

I lost 1.5 +/- less than my spreadsheet predicted.
  • jriehl08
    Options
    Thanks you. So Im doing good. I just need to get closer every day on my macros to keep losing the weight.
  • lself0924
    Options
    0ab141ca-5007-4793-937b-4933788fa5bb_zps41ac39a6.jpg
  • lself0924
    Options
    Thanks guys for letting me experiment with y'all. I love creating spreadsheets and I love crunching numbers. I also want to learn all I can about losing weight and how our bodies react to different scenarios. I know my experiment here does not make for an official clinical study but I hope that we all can learn something.

Thanks again!

Also when I'm done tweaking, I'll post all tables together and I'm thinking I will post documents on Google Documents so you all can have access to a printable version of your results.
  • jriehl08
    Options
    Thanks for all your hard work. I am glad to have you as a friends on here. I have a few out of all on my list that I actually think are doing this for the same reasons and with the same effort as myself. Together we will reach our goals and more. Have a great day.
  • Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the hard work on this...I do see that I need to start watching my sodium a little closer...Yikes!

Just curious: How did I do compared to what your spreadsheet predicted?
  • lself0924
    Options
    Thanks for all the hard work on this...I do see that I need to start watching my sodium a little closer...Yikes!

Just curious: How did I do compared to what your spreadsheet predicted?

Yours was only about 3 lbs different from my spreadsheet. the spread sheet predicted 37.4 and your actual was 34.3. My spread sheet has everyone burning 10 calories per lb./day.

What this tells me is that Josh's number is higher than 10. It appears that what he is doing is increasing his rate of "burn". What I don't know, is that food, activity, or just his genetic make-up.

Still good stuff!
  • lself0924
    Options
    Tomorrow is weigh-in. Y'all ready?
  • jriehl08
    Options
    Oh yeah I forgot about weigh in Im sure Im stuck at last weeks weight again....lol Good luck everyone and yeah I have always been "special" with everything that I do...I don't know why my number is higher then everyone elses. Hope I can keep it up and work it out like a mad man.