MTB Southwestern PA

Options
patrickblo13
patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
Can anyone suggest good trails in the greater Pittsburgh area? I travel for work all the time to Greensburg and would love to get some riding in while I am down there.

Replies

• ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Welcome to the area. There are literally TONS of awesome trails in the Greater Pittsburgh area. Here are some I regularly go on:

Montour Trail - a rail to trail project about 50 miles long going all the way around the city. Mostly gravel, flat, countryside

North Shore Trail - about 8 miles along Ohio and Allegheny Rivers - concrete, city views, no cars but gets crowded with pedestrians in nice weather, especially during a game, very scenic. Tip - Red Fin Blues restaurant at Washington Landing is a nice half way watering hole.

The Panhandle Trail - starts from Carnegie, rail to trail, gravel, flat. I only have done about 10 miles of this but it's supposed to go all the way to Wheeling, WV. Very scenic and pretty

Youghiogeny River Trail, AKA The Great Allegheny Passage - 400 miles rail to trail project going all the way to DC. This is by far my favorite. There are campgrounds along the way. Very scenic.

North Park loop - 5 miles around the lake, concrete (designated bike lane)

Riverview Park loop - 2 miles, concrete, bike lane (rather steep incline)

Let me know if you have questions or would like to get together for a ride one weekend.

Alex
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I am looking for singletrack mountain biking. I visited the PORC website and I was seeing what trails people prefer. I would like to get 10-20 mile rides in after work but not a bike path
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Oh ok. Not sure about those