Newbie - still pre-op

Options
kc82
kc82 Posts: 65 Member
Hi there! I'm new here to the group and just wanted to introduce myself. My name's Kari and I'm 30 years young.

I'm currently going through the pre-op process to get sleeved! I started this journey in January 2013 and as of right now, I'm looking to have surgery some time in May. (So close, yet so far!)

My insurance is wonderful and I've been lucky that I do not need a pre-approval for surgery. Also, my BMI is over 50, so they waived the 6-month monitored diet that many are required to do.

I've completed my required class with the bariatric nurses, met with the nutritionists, met with my surgeon, had my psych evaluation, and completed the exercise class. The only things left to do are to have my cardiac clearance (April 2nd) and meet with my surgeon again on April 12th. That is when I will get my surgery date.

I'm nervous about what's to come, but I've been researching, reading, and learning everything I can! I could definitely use some VSG buddies along the way, so if you'd like, please add me as a friend!

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Replies

• JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You're in the right place! Lot's of "sleever's" on MFP and you'll find lots of great support here. I "only" have about 90 pounds to lose, but SO glad I did this. It's an awesome tool and I've already managed to get off all meds for issues like high BP, sleep apnea, etc. If I never lose another pound (and I know I will!) it's already been worth it.

Honeslty, I had no problems. There's just some good, basic advice to follow and I think most have no real issues. Start working out before your surgery, follow the pre-op diets, stay hydrated after, get up and moving asap, chew, chew and then chew some more, and don't be a slave to the scale. Measure yourself before - you will see changes in your shape even if the lieing scale says otherwise!

Just stay plugged in here and you'll rock this! Best wishes and friend me if you like!
  • kristina509
    kristina509 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! It can all be so overwhelming and exciting at the same time. I started the process in June of 2012 and had surgery 12/19/12. I am 14 weeks out and down 75lbs total since the start and 64lbs since surgery day. If you have any questions or anything, feel free to ask!
  • tagman25
    tagman25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I am having surgery June 10, 2013. I am pretty nervous. Anyone have any words of wisdom? I have lost 35 lbs, pre surgery and need to lose about 130 more to be at desired weight. Thanks in advance.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Good luck!