Shopping Without a List - A Good Thing

JoanB5
JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
Shopping without a list can be disaster, but this time, it was a good thing! A lot of healthful products have hit the shelves since I last looked for them. And I even switched primary stores today to get some different foods on our shelves. Burn-out is no good with all the great foods out there to eat! I don't get hungry for other people's fattening choices as long as I have new choices of my own that I am looking forward to!

First, I went fed, right after breakfast, and I meandered. I wasted time. I walked through healthy sections. I looked for lean meats, seasoned turkey for sammies instead of the same brand I've been eating for two months, whole chicken breasts instead of the fingers the kids love. I found one person sized tilapia, individually shrink wrapped. I discovered fast, microwavable healthier rices I thought my husband might also like. I found some new salsa with beans and corn. It looked good for seasoning sandwiches and salads and eggs. I miss Tortilla chips, but at 25 calories a chip? No thanks. I can eat my salsa elsewhere! Have you checked your chips? That was the most startling find for me since I've started this!

Frozen and fresh fruit graces my frig. for snacking and smoothies. I found some smaller yogurt sizes that have the granola pre-packaged. Sometimes a large serving is too much for the snack I need. THRILL! I've not had cottage cheese in too long...bought some! I found crunchy salad fixin's for my salad day. I restocked granola bars. The kids are running through them! The new "dips" are a new favorite chocolate snack indulgence of mine!

I couldn't believe how many healthy items I stacked on my counter when I got home! It all looked so yummy I couldn't wait to dig in. My special treat? A $3 box of blackberries. YUMMY! I had 10 for 30 calories. Great post-shopping snack!

For lunch the tilapia on the stove with olive oil was YUMMY with some garlic and herb Old Bay seasoning (my new fav seasoning) and some lime and lemon juice drizzled over to keep it moist.

It is quite thrilling going into the third month to have meals to look forward to, fast and easy to fix for the family, and great for me! It's okay to look forward to eating! It's okay to have yummy food around! (It's just not okay to sample it all the minute I walk in the door! LOL) Eating should be a "good" part of our day. It just needs attention to detail and forethought. Moms have to plan ahead for busy days, crazy schedules with kids, and erratic eating times...but we can still make great choices! We can succeed at a personal goal for ourselves!

What was the last healthy food you were truly excited about eating?