Strength training

Options
So, I've joined a gym to use the pool, and I've been swimming regularly.

They have a personal trainer program that they are trying to sell and that emphasizes strength training and how cardio does not burn enough calories, etc.. It just doesn't sound like fun.

I know people have posted on corporette about this. I was just wondering if it is fun for any of you (it is my free time after all, so I don't want to do something I don't enjoy), and if there are any scientific claims for this strength training thing.

I don't want to get bigger muscles, I already feel my arms are getting pretty big from swimming....

Also, I ordered zoomers (fins) to use the pool, I feel like that may be a better fit for me. Anyone use them?

Replies

• Nonnyette
    Nonnyette Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Have you done much reading around MFP? I just joined about a month ago and am astonished at how much I've learned on here, links I've followed, etc. From what I've read, weights really do make a difference, but I think it depends on what you are trying to do. If you are just trying to burn fat, it seems cardio is good. If you are trying to build muscle, you need to do strength training. The other thing I've learned is that it is pretty much impossible for women to strength train and come out looking like the Hulk. We just don't have the testosterone for that. Go to Scooby's Workshop (Google it) and look at what Scooby has to say about strength training for women. It is very interesting.

Anecdotally, I've been doing some strength training myself and feel so much stronger and more energetic than when I was just doing cardio. I started out disliking it, and now I look forward to doing it! There are tons of different ways to do strength training - I use a combination of machines and free weights, and I've gotten to the point now where I actually prefer the free weights. Keep in mind that I am not at all athletic and used to view going to the gym as a chore.

I can't comment on the swimming-specific aspects of this, though...
  • blti
    blti Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks, that was helpful. I guess i need to figure out what my goals are first, and then try to find a way to make it fun. I like things like swimming and yoga, or even a low impact group class or martial arts. I think I'll try the fins when I swim and see how that goes and then see if I need to modify things...