Gym membership

Options
ctyre
ctyre Posts: 11 Member
Hi
Does anyone have any pointers on what to look for in a gym?
Thank you

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I've belonged to the Y for years so I doubt I have an objective perspective.

Figure out what you are looking for.
    Do you want a pool, classes, trainers?
    Then go from there.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    figure out what you want
    If they don't have 24 hour access, are their hours operations going to fit into your schedule?.. I can't always get to the gym during their manned hours, so I wanted a gym that had 24 hr access.
    walk through the facility, do you like the way the equipment is laid out?
  • GetFit1129
    GetFit1129 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What are you wanting a gym membership for? To take classes, to use the gym equipment, personal trainer, pool access, etc. etc. Once you make your list then research a gym that meets all you want from a gym membership.
  • shannonshay1
    shannonshay1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For me I look for a gym that doesn't make you sign a contract and the other is am I comfortable. I checked out a few gyms before I found one that fit my needs.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you don't know what you want, look at several to see what is available.

Don't be swayed by extras you won't actually use, much or at all. Thing like a sauna and steam room are all well and good, but just cost you more for your membership if you don't use them. Same for classes. No need to pay for access to all classes if all you want are free weights and a few cardio machines.

Pick a gym that is close to somewhere that is already on your regular route. Close to work, home or somewhere else you go regularly. It's easier to go if it's not a big drive/walk out of your way.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great replies. I think: look for variety. Your average "Planet fitness" has lots of cardio and machines. That's cool. But if you decide to do some "heavy lifting" the mantra of this joint, then PF isn't gonna work for you.

I'd say the best bet is a gym with variety, in which you don't feel intimidated to stretch and try a few things. One that's in your price range.

Enjoy the adventure!!

ETA: don't sign any contracts until you've had a chance to try it for a few months. If that's not an option, it's not the gym for you.