exercise suggestions

Options
DoreenMartell
DoreenMartell Posts: 10 Member
I have only joined two weeks ago and have been using the recumbent bike for 30 minutes every day - except for one. I have only lost 1.8 lbs. I am looking for low impact exercises THAT WORK! I am assuming that I need to do other things to mix it up and probably need to do more than 30 minutes - any ideas?

Replies

• marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    1.8 lb is a great start!
    I would think that 30 minutes would be enough. Have you seen the video 23 1/2 hours? Some suggestions, though: Try to up the pace, even for a short interval at a time, and when the weather improves, get outside and walk if you can. Add in some resistance training, and you should have an excellent start. There are lots of things on YouTube or other places online like Leslie Sansone to mix it up a bit.
  • DoreenMartell
    DoreenMartell Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it . I don't really know what to do since there is so much conflicting information - I will check this out. Thanks again.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Here's another way to think about it: exercise for the good of your health and to help retain muscle as you lose weight. Eat properly to lose weight. Exercise, unless you are really intense, doesn't burn as many calories as we'd like to think. For example, I spent 35 minutes on the elliptical this morning and tried to keep my heart rate up higher than 125 and up to about 140 for several intervals (I'm 56 and still have 30 lb to lose). According to my heart rate monitor, I burned 192 calories. That's not a lot, but I know it's good for me in so many ways.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I do body pump (high rep strength training) on mon & wed and on fri I do the weight machines. On tues & thurs I do the stationary bike, treadmill or elliptical. If I have time & energy I also do one of those things on my strength training days. I work out between 45 min - 1 1/2 hr. I've been trying to do HIT (high interval training) on the treadmill rather than just "put in my time at a set pace". I'd rather do HIT for 30 min and burn 300 cal than just "be on it" and burn 150 cal for those same 30 min. I guess the key is to find several things you like & mix it up. After all - if you don't like it you aren't going to do it. Good luck!
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have to do low impact---my poor old knees----no jumping for me!

Things I do:
    water aerobics/water jogging
    Just Dance (wii games)
    Leslie Sansone---she makes me sweat!
    Richard Simmons--I like the disco one
    I can even do level one of the 30 day shred, with some modification.

Really, if you can modify ---there are a lot of things we can do.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, the pool is a good idea. At our gym they have "weights" that you hold while in the water to do resistance exercises. The weights are foam and it is a stuggle to move them in the water. And you don't have the pressure on your knees. I agree 1.8 lbs is good for 2 weeks, I've been here for 1 1/5 weeks and lost 1 1/2 lbs. so we are about the same. Of course I'd love to loose more and I'm hoping once my body gets used to the routine of getting more food and me doing strength training on a regular basis it will come off quicker.