beyond fustrated

Options
lilrdbrrn66
lilrdbrrn66 Posts: 7 Member
HI, my name is Michelle. I have been a diabetic for over 15 years. I was just on oral meds, my A1c was always under a 7. But in the past year my pancreas stopped producing insulin.
Since being put on insulin I have been trying to lose weight. But I has become impossible! I see a dietictian every two weeks.
She says I'm doing everything right. I take pilates three days a week, and walk on the days I don't do pilates.
I just understand WHY i can't lose a pound a week. At this point I would take a half pound.
Does anyone have any suggestions.

Replies

• DonnaTolewitzke
    DonnaTolewitzke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle!
    I am also very frustrated with the lack of losing! I exercise and log my food intake... And get so excited when I click on the lil' bar and it tells me I will weigh 'so&so' in 5 weeks! What a LIE!!! I've been diabetic for just over 5 years. When I first started taking the oral meds I lost approximately 50lbs! I was very excited and did pretty good keeping it off until I had to stop taking the Metformin. Anyway, I just wanted to comment to let you know you aren't alone in this! I don't know if anything I've done would be of help for you since it obviously hasn't worked for me :)
    I'm working out 4-5 days a week. Elliptical, jogging/walking..and weights. I have found that unless I get my heart-rate up there isn't any weight loss... Good luck girl!
  • melissam226
    Options
    I feel you! I was steadily losing on just meds but my pancreas is making little to no insulin now. All my fat is in my belly and I'm horrified.

Have you tried the ketogenic diet? OR HIIT training? I saw some results with both--although no carbs at all is VERY hard to maintain.
  • SKRPY
    SKRPY Posts: 12
    Options
    I am right there with you ladies....I was started on insulin in September and by December had gained 33lbs. The scale does not move. A friend told me about Symlin which replaces the stomach hormone amlyn. I have an appointment in 2 weeks with my pcp because my endo does not know me well enough to give it to me. I will let you all know how it goes but it supposedly works very well. One of the side effect is hypoglycemia and the insulin should be cut in half, at least......

There is also victoza but my research revealed that you get better results with Symlin.....
  • kithalloyd
    kithalloyd Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    keep focused!! A diabetics life is going to be hard to lose for most! I tried and tried for years. Id lose then gain. My friends would diet Id try harder and lose 2 lbs to their 20. One day I decided to focus on me and I stepped the exercise up and the calories down! I have lost 50 plus since last august! This can be done. Join our group!! New session starts today! Keep the faith honey! Dont give up keep exercising. If you exercise for 20 or 30 make it 45- 1 hr five days a week. I have been diabetic since 12 Ive never produced insulin. I take symlin as well I started last month. It has helped with levels but exercise is a must and it makes you sick for the first two weeks. The full filling goes away within the two weeks as well however I have noticed that I snack less. I did not cut my insulin in half but Im guessing it just depend on the person and I have only had two lows. I will say be careful to eat a snack before exercise because levels do fall quicker during exercise.
  • FurryLittleBunny
    FurryLittleBunny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ancient bunny secret: eat the vegeterian paleo diet and take Victoza. :) Bunny loses carrot weight quickly and easily. Bunny blood stays even - up hops or drops.
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    Hi All,
    I have been a type 1 Diabetic for 23 years and I am also having a difficult time with weight loss. I just recently found out that I have a low thyroid (hypo) so have been placed on a small dose of synthroid to help get my thyroid on track....yet another obstacle! It's so frustrating when you are on a very strict diet and exercise and the scale isn't budging!!!:cry:
  • gandysweet
    gandysweet Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    how long have u taken victoza? i was wondering about this my doctor recently mentioned it to me