Obstacle Race

DarkAngellEyes
DarkAngellEyes Posts: 317 Member
Just wondering what you ladies think about completing an obstacle race (5k) while pregnant.

I signed up for one in April before I found out I was pregnant and now I'm debating about whether or not I should complete it.... I have still been relatively active (crossfit 3-4 times a week) and I feel like I should be able to complete it without a problem, but since this is my first, I just wanted to see if any of you had experience with races like this in the past. I will be just at the end of my 20th week on race day.

From what I've read, the obstacles wont be anything too crazy because its more of a "fitness challenge" than a race like the tough mudder or spartan sprint, but there will probably be walls to climb, possibly tire flips, pushing wheelbarrows of bricks for a distance, etc.

If anyone wants to check out the specifics, the website is - http://www.fitathlonchallenge.com/

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    I'd really go over the specifics of this race with your doctor. I think just a 'normal' run would not be a problem given that you already have been running, but your doctor may have concerns about some of the obstacles and how they could affect the health and safety of you and your baby.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    I agree with Vim above - also, keep in mind that how you feel now may not necessarily be reflective of how you'll feel at 20 weeks. This is the one time it really is okay to bail if you get closer and realize you're not up to it by then. Fitness will ebb and flow throughout pregnancy.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    I agree with both posters above. I would want to be extra careful because even obstacles that seem rather innocent (like climbing walls) can turn bad if you take a fall. Normally you just have to worry about, I don't know, twisting an ankle or landing badly on a wrist, but now you've got more that you can hurt.

I'm not saying don't do it, but keep in mind that it might not be in your and your baby's best interest to take the risk on some of the obstacles.
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    I would be concerned about a fall or getting hit in the belly.....there's a lot going on at 20 weeks.....I am sure you could handle another 5k...maybe there is a somewhat challenging 5k you can do that won't put you at risk? I know it's hard to step down your activity level, especially when you don't look/feel very pregnant. I did insanity and a lot of running before I got pregnant and now I just jog and walk, and do lighter cardio. I asked my doctor if I can still jog (I'm 31 weeks now and by now I get BH contractions from time to time) and he said he always tells people to do less than you did before....if you were a jogger before, slow it down to a walk, if you were a hard core runner before, then take it down to a jog. Also monitor your body's reaction. So personally I wouldn't do an obstacle race because it just isn't worth the risk....but like the others suggested, talk to your doctor about your activity level and what types of races are ok, if any depending on your specific pregnancy, and for how many weeks into your pregnancy.
  • kristapennie
    kristapennie Posts: 105 Member
    I agree a fall or hit would be most concerning....having done an obstacle race before I know about the mob of people all rushing you and many won't know you can't handle a bump out of the way.
    Something else to consider is all.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    I agree a fall or hit would be most concerning....having done an obstacle race before I know about the mob of people all rushing you and many won't know you can't handle a bump out of the way.
    Something else to consider is all.

Ooh, good call about other people in the race! Heck, I've gotten hit full force with carts on a busy day at Costco while I was visibly pregnant or when I had a newborn in tow (which is plainly obvious). My husband picks on me for being overly conscientious about not getting in others' way, so I know it's not me. People can be dunces when it comes to what's right in front of their faces if they're too focused on what they're doing.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    I would not recommend it. I did Warrior Dash 2 years ago and it's suppose to be low key compared to some of the others out there. I ended up battered and bruised from head-to-toe including my belly. You're trying to get through each obstacle as fast as you can... sometimes at the sacrifice of your body.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 317 Member
    Thanks for the input ladies, you've defnitely given me some things to consider that I didnt think about previously! I'm still on the fence... thinking I maybe could do it just for the 5k aspect and skip most of the obstacles (so the registration fee doesnt go to waste), but I'm going to run it by my doctor first for sure!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    I dont think that running would be an issue for you, even at 20 weeks. I agree falling would be a concern. My concern would be any things that require crawling on your belly. I did a obstacle course race and there was at least 2-3 obstacles that required crawling through tunnels and no way could I not be on my belly.
    That being said, in the race I did, if for some reason (like pregnancy) you couldnt complete an obstacle, you could go around, and I heard a girl telling one of the race directors at an obstacle that she was going around due to pregnancy. I f it was me I would do it if my doc said ok, and just not do any obstacle that seem inappropriate!