Moving to a new apartment...with a major flareup

Options
ARGH!!

We're moving to a new apartment tomorrow and this is the moment my HS starts to flare up again. Of course. I had a couple of spots on my side where my bra band hits that were (are) very painful. I put some gel bandages on them a couple of days ago, thinking they might be a nice alternative to the Tegaderm dressings I've gotten in the past. WRONG. By yesterday, I couldn't wear my bra, and this evening I finally gave in and took them off...OMG, the drainage...it bled and drained like crazy...and the pain is still intense. I also have painful draining sores in various other places, and I feel like I'm going to be just useless tomorrow. My boyfriend tells me not to worry about it because we do have plenty of help tomorrow, but it seems like every time something important comes up, my skin explodes and I'm left sitting on the sidelines. I can't help but feel like people think I'm lazy because of it. BLAH.

Replies

• katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    GAH, what a terrible time to flare :( I don't know how comfortable you are sharing, but most of my friends know about the HS too, so they understand when I can't get out and do something. I know you posted this a bit ago, how did the rest of the move go? Congrats on the new place!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I know that my HS is exacerbated by stress. I'm sure, whether you're happy about this move or not, it brings with it stress. Many times, those of us that are used to dealing with much stress in our life don't even recognize when "all hell breaks loose" stress is added to our life because we're so used to dealing with so much stress... I know that I deal with everyday stress and that doesn't usually affect my HS. But when I get stress on top of stress on top of stress, or something that I even worry about in my sleep, yep, I can expect that I will breakout.

Please check out this blog: www.primalgirl.com. Tara Grant is the author and she is publishing a book entitled "The Hidden Plague: A field guide for overcoming and surviving Hidradenitis Suppurativa". The book is not available yet but that doesn't mean that you can't communicate with her and/or read her previous posts.

It has helped me a lot thus far.

I hope for you that this episode is quickly over and that you are able to get back to "normal" soon.
  • askjeeves
    askjeeves Posts: 2
    Options
    Not that I am any expert on HS, but I would have to agree with Peg.
    It would definitely be logical to say that stress most likely makes HS worse.
    I'm sorry to hear that you had a hard time moving, but really, don't be embarrassed or worried. It's really nice that your boyfriend understood. He knows you didn't refrain from helping because you are lazy, he knows that it's the HS.
    If he had broken wrists, you wouldn't want to watch him struggle with giant boxes and love seats, right? It's kind of the same thing, he's not going to be upset with you about it.
    Besides, if you just powered through it, can you imagine how painful that would be during and after? Resting is sometimes exactly what HS needs, at least from my experience.
    I really hope that your symptoms get better soon.