Running Macros

Options
greypilgrimess
greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
Hi fellow runners!

Does anybody know what a good macro ratio is for a runner?

I need to fix my nutrition, I'm training for a half, atm my average run is 5-8 miles. I think I need to increase my protein, but I was hoping someone would know a good ratio so I can try and work to it.

Replies

• mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I have my macro's at 40/40/30 (c/p/f)
    I am eating more protein, but I find it hard to get up to 40%, I still go over on carbs, but it's better than it use to be.
    And I always have enough energy to get me through my training sessions. I just chose my carbs carefully.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You need carbs for energy! There really isn't a magic formula for everyone, but I use the one suggested by the training program I use: 60 - 70 percent carbs, 15 percent protein (mostly plant-based) and 15 to 25 percent fat, which seems to be working for me at the moment. Carbs are not bad, and for runners, they are essential for maintaining the source of energy that fuels our running: glycogen. Increasing your protein intake is pretty much the opposite of what you should be doing if you are doing endurance training.

I could be wrong, though and would be interested in what others have to say.

Take care,
    Keith
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Ditto on carbs for long distances. I am about 60 on carbs, 20-25 on fats and the rest protein
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    You need carbs for energy! There really isn't a magic formula for everyone, but I use the one suggested by the training program I use: 60 - 70 percent carbs, 15 percent protein (mostly plant-based) and 15 to 25 percent fat, which seems to be working for me at the moment. Carbs are not bad, and for runners, they are essential for maintaining the source of energy that fuels our running: glycogen. Increasing your protein intake is pretty much the opposite of what you should be doing if you are doing endurance training.

I could be wrong, though and would be interested in what others have to say.

Take care,
    Keith

I agree with this... Carbs are essential for energy and protein is essential for muscle repair so try not to go soft on those. A good meal would be the macros found in a slice of cheese pizza (large). Pasta macros are also good....
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, really appreciate the input!
    I didn't realise I needed quite so many carbs (I'm pretty new to distance running), but it makes a lot of sense.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have my macro's at 40/40/30 (c/p/f)
    I am eating more protein, but I find it hard to get up to 40%, I still go over on carbs, but it's better than it use to be.
    And I always have enough energy to get me through my training sessions. I just chose my carbs carefully.

that adds up to 110%

I do about 40 carbs, 25 protein and 35 fat, but mostly because that fits how I eat naturally. I really don't stick to it religiously, but have found that over a week, that is generally where I fall. If I tend to go over in anything it is fat and carbs!

I run about 30 miles per week - with 13+ mile runs on the weekends.
  • KeithAngilly
    Options
    Just to throw this out there, I found the book "Racing Weight" by Mark Fitzgerald to be pretty helpful to sorting some of this stuff out. You can check out the authors website here: http://racingweight.com/

As much as there is a dizzying array of human beings, there is a dizzying array of opinions about nutrition and ultimately, I don't think it is one size fits all. One eye opener for me was the typical diet of a Kenyan runner. It can be as high as 78 percent carbs with very little protein. Now, I am not a Kenyan and I have no intention of emulating such a diet. But, it does show that there are different ways to handle nutrition and also that carbs are definitely not bad!
  • kateroseearly
    Options
    I find it pretty comforting that no one here seems to be advocating some miraculous macro ratio! I've been eating about 50c/30f/20p for the last couple of weeks, and lost weight in addition to increasing my distance AND speed.

Almost two years ago, I lost ten pounds (and I was running shorter distances back then), and have maintained that, eating a much higher proportion of carbohydrates. I also lived on a ship in the middle of the ocean -- which messes with all of a person's habits and routines. I think you've got to experiment. One formula doesn't work for everyone, but it also doesn't necessarily always work for the same person. Your activities and metabolic functions all change, so your nutrition will probably change at times as well.

Another thing is when you eat what you eat. Carbs at breakfast, or for supper? This too probably differs for everyone, but I think it's something worth experimenting with.

And of course for the fats... I hope they're from fishies and almonds, instead of butter and bacon! Who wants to get thin and run a marathon, but still end up with heart problems?
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I just read an interesting article about "proper" carb percentages for marathon runners. The summary is that you should aim for about 65% of your calories from carbs during training until about two weeks prior to the race. 14 days prior to the race you should flip the ratio to 65% fat for 10 days then the last 3 days go back to your previous diet.

http://running.competitor.com/2013/03/nutrition/the-new-rules-of-marathon-nutrition_67841/1
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I just read an interesting article about "proper" carb percentages for marathon runners. The summary is that you should aim for about 65% of your calories from carbs during training until about two weeks prior to the race. 14 days prior to the race you should flip the ratio to 65% fat for 10 days then the last 3 days go back to your previous diet.

http://running.competitor.com/2013/03/nutrition/the-new-rules-of-marathon-nutrition_67841/1

Interesting article. Thanks!
  • KeithAngilly
    Options
    +1 on the article. Thanks David!
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The fat-loading discussed in the article is interesting. During my last marathon I ran about 10 km with a sports doctor. It was great picking her brain. She has a similar believe regarding fat. Apparently it boosts fat metabolism earlier in the race and saves glycogen stores for later.

Apart from the fat-loading she also said that for a regular marathon additional fat wasn't required during your race but for ultras beyond 56 km your race mix has to include some fat. Even something as simple as using a chocolate energy gel as opposed to regular would help as the chocolate flavours generally contain some fat.

As for the ratios I keep it flexible and eat what my body tells me it needs depending on where I am in my training cycle. Two days post-marathon that is generally more protein.