Anyone with multiple foods allergies or sensitivities?

Options
2»

Replies

• MoCrafter
    MoCrafter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for posting in this thread. I needed to read this tonight. I have been feeling sorry for myself because I have to eat gluten free. After reading about all the allergies to food that so many have, I feel really blessed to just have the gluten intolerance. It is time to accept it and embrace all the many foods that I can eat.
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have IBS-D. My body doesn't do well with wheat, legumes (beans, lentils, etc.), whole grains (even brown rice), large amounts of fructose (including many fruits and fruit juices), and possibly dairy. I'm going to do an elimination of dairy and see how that goes.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    I'm Allergic to gluten even the tiniest trace and thanks to my Ibs I can hardly ever eat raw onion,yeast,drink fizzy drinks or eat to many chillies and fried foods
    unforchently if i haven't had a flare up for a long time i forget why i don't eat those things very often and get a fortnight reminer if i have to much.
  • Kristakaylin
    Options
    I have celiac and so does my sister, father, and both my grand parents on my fathers side. My grand parents are the 7th known couple in the entire world to both have it. SO I was "doomed" I say from the get go. I'm GF but still have a really hard time digesting raw veggies and a lot of dairy; I've switched to Silk for any cereals and anything that requires milk as much as possible because I LOVE cheese.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm not diagnosed with any intolerences but removing grains from my diet has been an eye opening experience. I originally did this to keep my carbs under control b/c of high blod pressure. As I googled for low carb recipe's I ran across of few blogs like Wheat Belly, Maria's health blog & Marks Daily Apple which helped me verify that I have some kind of issue's with a lot of the foods that I've been eating. It's been a chore trying to give up things like pork (especially sausage & pork chops), wheat & dairy for the most part but I'm also working hard to give up eating corn, rice, soy, canola & oats. I noticed when I eat pork (not bacon) especially if I eat it too many day's in a row I get stomach pains & milk does this to me too. If I eat cheese/dairy &/or grains I break out on my arms w/itchy bumps &/or psoriasis/eczema flare ups. I am still a work in progress but am finding some alternatives for some things & yes it's been hard.
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I originally eliminated gluten for my son who was still breastfeeding (he started having silent seizures and I found that at least 33% of silent seizures can be linked to gluten so I took it out of his diet immediately and he hasn't had a seizure since). We never were tested for a sensitivity but now my whole family is gluten free and I don't need a test to see the difference because it is so drastic and positive. However, I have now developed an allergy to peanuts and tree nuts which stinks since I LOVE peanut butter.

While not intolerant to soy (at least not that I know of) I am trying to avoid it as much as possible because of how it isn't really a good food for the body.

We have also been cutting back on dairy (tried casein free for just my youngest son and myself but that wasn't easy, so now I just limit dairy for him and I the most, and for my other children I have definitely limited their dairy intake. I also buy organic, Omega 3 rich, milk now which I have noticed an improvement with the switch. The family didn't take too well to flax milk, almond milk, nor coconut milk, but do like rice milk in cereal only, or as horchata. Dairy free cheese was a disaster. However my husband and the son whose dairy I am limiting LOVE coconut milk yogurt, so that is almost a daily staple in their diets.

The other thing I have noticed (and I had to look it up to see what it was) was that I was having the tightening of the throat after eating pears. I looked up what may cause this and discovered something called oral allergy syndrome for those who have certain pollen allergies. Sure enough, some of the produce I've been having a problem with have been on the list. So now I either avoid those foods that trigger oral allergy syndrome (for me it's pears, kiwi, corn, peaches, and oranges) or cook them before eating (in the case of pears). For corn I just avoid it during grass pollen season. Needless to say, my outdoor allergies are pretty much anything and everything you can think of and always has been. So it was so nice to find out about oral allergy syndrome so that I don't have to eliminate some of my favorite produce all the time, just some of the time.

Also, something that many forget, look into your other non-food products. Many have gluten in them. I switched to gluten free shampoo, conditioner, soap, facial cream, lotion, toothpaste, etc. and have noticed an even bigger improvement in my skin, especially my scalp which usually had itchy scabs all over it and now they no longer are there. This gluten thing has definitely opened my world to more and more natural products and for that I am grateful!
  • sbarnhill99
    sbarnhill99 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a gluten allergy and also alergic to Eggs as well.
  • jewelsbehm
    jewelsbehm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just received the results of my food allergy and sensitivity testing last Saturday. Turns out I'm allergic to pork. I don't eat beef or chicken, so now pork is out, too. Thank God fish and turkey were okay.

The test for food sensitivities showed that I'm sensitive to amaranth, asparagus, avocado, carrots, cauliflower, cocoa, coffee, lettuce, malt, mustard, nutrasweet, oranges, oregano, poppy seeds, black pepper, safflower, sesame, teff, tumeric, baker's and brewer's yeast, and all dairy. The gluten test wasn't positive, but then I've been gluten-free since February, so that wasn't a surprise. I'm still going to keep it from my diet because I do react to it when I eat it.

I started an elimination diet yesterday. I'm so thankful that I love to cook, otherwise this would even more traumatizing! I'm discovering that even staples like veggie or chicken broth are things I have to make from scratch now. After searching the shelves of four different stores, I couldn't find a broth that I can have. Saturday will be my first time dining out on this diet and I'm dreading it. Thankfully it's with my best friend who is so supportive.

I do plan on getting the allergy tests for non-food items done in the future. After the surprises found for food tests, I"m a bit nervous about it though! It's all worth it. Just the major improvements in my health from eliminating gluten have shown me what a difference it can make.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I haven't found a safe veggie broth yet either. There's just one that I can use in a pinch, but it's not great for me and my allergic friend can't have it, so I generally don't. Luckily veggie brother is easy to make, or else you can use water and punch it up by adding celery, onion, and salt to the recipe.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for posting in this thread. I needed to read this tonight. I have been feeling sorry for myself because I have to eat gluten free. After reading about all the allergies to food that so many have, I feel really blessed to just have the gluten intolerance. It is time to accept it and embrace all the many foods that I can eat.

People always wonder what I eat, when I'm gluten sensitive, lactose intolerant (mostly milk that gives me issues - cheese and yogurt are ok), allergic to shellfish, and don't eat a lot of carbs. I don't even think about it anymore and enjoy all the foods I eat!! It's different when I choose not to eat something, vs thinking I CAN'T have something.

PS - my little sister grew up with a ton of food allergies - wheat, corn, nuts, chicken, eggs, dairy were the big ones. So it wasn't a huge change for me as an adult, I learned to read labels young.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Veggie *broth*. What's with my fingers today?
    Yeah, I haven't found a safe veggie broth yet either. There's just one that I can use in a pinch, but it's not great for me and my allergic friend can't have it, so I generally don't. Luckily veggie brother is easy to make, or else you can use water and punch it up by adding celery, onion, and salt to the recipe.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    For me it's no wheat, corn, soy, dairy, and eggs. :sad:
  • Weeblessings
    Weeblessings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac, am casien free, allergic to jalenpos. My daughter is at least gluten intolerant (No confirmed Celiac), and casein free. My 3rd child is casien free, NO HFCS (unless you want him to become a demon child), youngest son is gluten intolerant (No confirmed Celiac), and casein free from birth, found out at 9mos he was allergic to eggs and peanuts (more then likely from birth as well, since he's never had either), he's now 3yrs old. We also follow the feingold diet which elminates Dyes like Red#3, No artifical flavors, colors anything, No preservatives either.

So yep we are a multiple food allergy household.