What's the difference?!

Options
Rhunt24
Rhunt24 Posts: 42 Member
Last week my long run was 7 miles. I felt awesome and I ran it in exact time I wanted, even with several big hills. Today, I ran a flat 8 and it was the complete opposite! My knees and hips hurt almost the whole way and I felt like I was dying pretty much from start to finish. Weather was comparable both times, my sleep has been the same. Suggestions on what to do to see what makes or breaks my runs? I already log my food, (well yesterday I didn't). What sorts of things of things should I be looking for in my diaries? Thanks for any advice you may have!!

Replies

• miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    This may not be the kind of help you're looking for, but sometimes you just have one of those runs. I've found that from day to day unknown factors can lead me to have the most amazing runs, where I feel like I'm flying and can go forever, and then the next day (or the next week with long run) it can be a total slog fest where I feel like my legs are filled with cement.

The trick is just to be consistent. Listen to your body when it says "I am not happy" and accommodate. And when there is pain make sure you take some time to analyze if it is something that is easily treatable (with rest, ice, stretching etc) or if it's something that you may need to get checked out.

My only real advice? let the bad runs go and don't stress about them, your next good one is likely waiting just around the corner!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    This may not be the kind of help you're looking for, but sometimes you just have one of those runs. I've found that from day to day unknown factors can lead me to have the most amazing runs, where I feel like I'm flying and can go forever, and then the next day (or the next week with long run) it can be a total slog fest where I feel like my legs are filled with cement.

The trick is just to be consistent. Listen to your body when it says "I am not happy" and accommodate. And when there is pain make sure you take some time to analyze if it is something that is easily treatable (with rest, ice, stretching etc) or if it's something that you may need to get checked out.

My only real advice? let the bad runs go and don't stress about them, your next good one is likely waiting just around the corner!

Well said.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. Could be you have a really mild virus or your sleep hasn't been of the same quality. It will go back to normal next time.
  • Rhunt24
    Rhunt24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Thanks!! I will keep all this in mind!
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My runs depend on a few things:
    1) Diet is the biggee. I can tell when I haven't eaten like I should--like more sugary junk foods or fast food. On weeks when I eat on the run, I can really see how it affects me
    2) Surface--I ran 12 miles at a 9:30 pace with hills and felt pretty good (well, for running 12 miles) and then the next run was a short 3 miles on grass and I couldn't get under 10 min. It was ridiculous. I am the same way on gravel roads too.
    3) What else I have been doing for exercise. I tried to run after doing Insanity a couple times a week and it was a disaster. The fatigue from hard workouts made a good run impossible

But yes I agree, sometimes you just have a harder day and you just have to move on. Good luck with your next one!
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said. But also, (I don't know if this is even helpful) I have had runs seriously affected by my carb intake. I started eating paleo with my carbs at 20% fat 50% and protien at 30% and all of a sudden my short runs(3-4mi) were sooooo hard! I would have a 'cheat' day where I could eat pasta and bread and rice and then my long run(12-14mi) the next morning would be a breeze. I have a huge reaction to carbs. Now that I've figured out the problem, I have tried to eat more carbs in the paleo diet but I am having a hard time getting a strong run without cheating on my diet.
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options

Totally agree. If you are anything like me, you can expect to have one "bad run" (is there really such a thing??) in maybe six runs. No logical reason is required, it just happens sometimes. Accept it and move on. The good news is I find that the next run (after a bad run) is often an absolute beauty!