Help have to go gluten free new direction

Options
Justacoffeenut
Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
I really am at a loss. Have to go gluten free and feeling overwhelmed with this new direction my weight loss goals have to take. Any help, ideas, recipes would be of great benefit. Thanks for your input.

Replies

• laceylucas86
    Options
    IT'S KIND OF A GOOD THING FOR YOUR WEIGHTLOOS, FOR ME IT IS ANYHOW, BECAUSE THINGS LIKE CUPCAKES, DONUTS, BREADS, CHOCOLATE ETC THAT I NORMALL CANNOT RESIST NOW I WILL BECAUSE I KNOW THYE MAKE ME SICK AND ALSO IT FORCES YOU TO EAT MORE FRUITS AND VEGGIES ETC SO IT CAN BE A GOOD THING FORY OU DIET ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT AND FIND SOME NEW GO TO RECIPIES :) GOOD LUCK! BEST WISHES~
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    What do you like to eat?

What foods do you eat that are already naturally gluten free?

Remember that whole foods - fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, etc. - in their natural state do not have any gluten. It is only once they are processed that gluten is added in. There are lots of things that you can eat.

But what are you missing? You need that one really good __________ recipe, and then you can survive it?
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    What do you like to eat?

What foods do you eat that are already naturally gluten free?

Remember that whole foods - fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, etc. - in their natural state do not have any gluten. It is only once they are processed that gluten is added in. There are lots of things that you can eat.

But what are you missing? You need that one really good __________ recipe, and then you can survive it?

I have times I want baked goodies and such, but not to much. My husband (who also has to go gf) however is the carb king. Bread, pizza, cookies, cakes the like. So I'm overwhelmed also for him. How can I keep him happy while keeping him GF. I am so in need of great yummy GF recipes.

Any good web sites or books and such? What are the good gf stuff and the ones that just are not worth the money?

Thanks again for any information
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    :sad: I'm ready to just deal with the pain. Since going GF I've gained 6 lbs. I don't get it. I always stay in my calorie range and for the most part my other food goals are fine. Salt hardly over. Carbs been under. Sugar is the only one I've been going over in.

I'm mean since I have all the symptoms of celiac but not been tested for it is it really worth going off if I'm only going to keep gaining? My husband has been tested and does need to go off however. I wanted to be supportive of him. Now not so sure I want to be fully supportive.

I'm sure this will make done unhappy and I'm sorry. Just completely frustrated. My weight loss journey has been a struggle for the past several years. And I can afford to loose so much ground so quickly. At this rate I will end up higher then I started. And I need to lose this weight for other health reasons.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    :sad: I'm ready to just deal with the pain. Since going GF I've gained 6 lbs. I don't get it. I always stay in my calorie range and for the most part my other food goals are fine. Salt hardly over. Carbs been under. Sugar is the only one I've been going over in.

I'm mean since I have all the symptoms of celiac but not been tested for it is it really worth going off if I'm only going to keep gaining? My husband has been tested and does need to go off however. I wanted to be supportive of him. Now not so sure I want to be fully supportive.

I'm sure this will make done unhappy and I'm sorry. Just completely frustrated. My weight loss journey has been a struggle for the past several years. And I can afford to loose so much ground so quickly. At this rate I will end up higher then I started. And I need to lose this weight for other health reasons.

1. many gluten free foods that substitute for non-GF stuff (bread, baked goods, sauces, etc) have added sugar and fat to make them taste and feel like the gluten version. MANY people don't realize this and end up gaining weight. Check your macros, if you're over in sugar then how can you be eating low carb? How's your protein, how's your fat?

2. Remember that going GF is a process, a process of healing. Yes, there are some immediate benefits to it, but it takes time for your systen to heal and normalize. Your body has been starved of vital nutrients because of the damage done from gluten. Think of it like starvation mode. Now that you're eating healthy foods your body says "YUM! This is great, but what if she decides to just deal with the pain? Guess I should hold onto some extra just in case..." It takes time for your body and metabolism to normalize. And you might gain more than 6 lbs so be prepared. If you're making sure you're meeting your macros and you're eating within your calorie range, then you're doing everything right.

3. You have all of the symptoms but haven't been tested. Get tested.

I feel your pain, I really really do. I'm to a certain degree in the same boat as you (up 8 lbs since going strictly gf) and I saw the same thing happen with my brother when he was dx and went gf. But he lost it and I trust that I will too. Oh, and I was diagnosed at 23, but am only now REALLY committing to the gf lifestyle at 32. I feel great for the first time in as long as I can remember. How did I do it? I started eating paleo and went cold turkey on grains (even gf ones), dairy, sugar, artificial junk/sweetner. It naturally cuts out gluten and as I broke my sugar addiction I found it was easier to pass up the bread, etc.

The pain isn't worth it.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    I want to be tested but my doctor wont get me tested. And since I have already started the GF diet wont that mess me up now if I am tested?
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes, technically you need to be actively ingesting gluten for a blood test to register. However it might still work if you just recently gave up gluten. It takes 2 weeks for all of the gluten to leave your system.

Find a new doctor if you want a definitive diagnosis or push them for the testing. Take charge of your health.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    Thanks everyone don't mean to sound whinny. Really am overwhelmed with all this. And we live in an area where GF things are not in large supply. I have to travel over an hour to find more then a couple things. And almost 2 hours to find a good amount. So trying to gather as much information as I can. I need to make a trip soon to get some more. What we have we have almost eaten.

Thanks again everyone for your information, support and encouragement
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    My favorite bread and pizza crusts are Udi's. If it's something I have to bake I use Pamela's gluten free baking mix.

I usually only use gluten free substitutes as occasional treats and just try to omit the bread most of the time. It kind of helps if you omit them for awhile...at least until you forget what real bread tastes like.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I occasionally bake GF bread (my favorite mixes are from Gluten Free Pantry), but mostly I use "substitutes" that are "naturally" gluten free. I'm learning to love rice cakes and tostadas make a reasonable base for an open faced "sandwich". I've been more or less GF for 1.5 to 2 years, but just started working on weight loss. What helped me most (for weight loss) was just paying attention to what I was eating - mindlessly munching on GF snacks while commuting to and from work was probably my main downfall. I eat 5 or six small meals a day, so I'm rarely hungry. Fortunately I like a lot of healthy (and sometimes weird) food items and have never been fond of heavy sauces. I find it interesting that my bread "cravings" have gradually gone away as I eat better and healthier. It's funny how one's body seems to crave those things that are most bad for it.

I've never been officially diagnosed, but had enough symptoms to suggest gluten intolerance or celiac that I figured trying to avoid gluten was worth the "pain". I actually have less "pain" now (especially in terms of GI unhappiness) that the "sacrifice" is well worth it. I know within 24 hours or less if I have "oopsed", so keep getting proof that gluten is bad for me, regardless of the root cause.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I rarely buy anywhere other than at my grocery story. My son and hubby do commercial gluten-free products like bread or bagels, but I too just try to eat whole foods that are gluten free. Quinoa, potatoes, buckwheat, fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans & other legumes.

I did gain weight when I went gluten free. I blame a lot of it on the fact that it was before Christmas, and I was testing out all kinds of cookies and other gf baking recipes so that hubby and kiddo could have a nice Christmas in spite of being gluten free. But part of it also is that your body has been starving, unable to get the nutrients you need, and it just sucks it all up when it starts healing. My dad was wasting away, couldn't put on any weight, and his first month gluten free, he put back on about 30 pounds. In his case, he needed it. In my case, I didn't!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    I'm still up and down with the scale. I really am not liking this at all. But today I found a place to buy gf flours in bulk. Bought $78 worth. Basically our full grocery money for the next two weeks. So guess that's it other then any gluten projects still in the house.

Thank you everyone who has responded. Nice to know I'm not alone in this though sometimes I feel it. I just hope my body equals out and starts going the right way again soon.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed. It can feel that way, especially at first. ((Hugs.))

Why won't your doctor have you tested? If you have many symptoms, then it would be best to have a clear diagnosis. And yes, it IS worth it to go gluten-free, even if you gain weight. Pain is not the only issue. Even if you had no pain and no symptoms, your body would continue to destroy the inside of your intestine. This leads to all sorts of future problems, and a much higher risk of certain cancers, as well.

I would say, try not to feel like you have to figure it all out all at once. There are many, many resources out there and it is much easier to be GF than it was 15 years ago. And many of the products they have out there are very good as well.

In general it is easier to bake as many things as possible from scratch. (Good old meat and potatoes meals, for example. Or meat and rice and a veggie.) We also have tacos frequently (use your own combo of spices to season the meat, and only use corn taco shells or corn tortillas.) Then, once every week or two, experiment with trying something new. Pizza is one of the first things I tried, as the pizza crust is not the *star of the show* in my opinion. We've tried many different pizza crust mixes and they're all pretty good. And the kinnickinick frozen pizza crusts are probably my husband's favorite. Udi's pizza crust is good if you prefer a thinner crust.

Be patient. Give yourself time to build up a repertoire of recipes. Even if it turns out that you do not have it, you will be doing this for your husband, so it will be a long-term thing. One recipe at a time, one meal at a time, one shopping trip at a time.
  • jryan83
    jryan83 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I either have Celiac or a Gluten intolerance. Dr. Visit is not for a long while though so I'm giving it a try for a few weeks. I found this website. They have a lot of information and best of all a G.F. shopping mall. I plan to buy all my supplies for the next three weeks from there.

http://www.celiac.com/glutenfreemall/

Prices seem reasonable and more importantly they have a really vast selection of stuff. And if your not in a heavily civilized area it won't matter cause everything gets mailed to your door.
  • MoCrafter
    MoCrafter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a book for my Kindle. I think it cost me about $1.28. It is called 'You Can Eat This: 22 Gluten Free Comfort Recipes' by Tam Linsey. I tried the bread machine bread recipe today and it is awesome. For the first time in quite a while I was able to eat a sandwich. My husband sliced the loaf into about 18 slices. It is fairly high carb and calorie at about 138 calories per serving, but it actually tastes like bread. It is a little different, but really held together for my sandwich. She has some other recipes that I am anxious to try out. I suffered for almost a week the last time I gave in and ate gluten. No more of that. Good luck. It isn't easy, but is necessary for some of us.
    Winona