Relocate for Love?

Options
LGrill27
LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
This was stolen from another thread. Thought it would be a good topic in Single peeps.

Have you done it?
Would you (re)consider it?
Is long Distance a deal breaker?

As for myself...

I've never relocated for love. I've lived in numerous foreign countries and have traveled to all 50 states but always for work and never for love.
Would I consider it? Most likely. It gets more complicated when children will be effected, house, established in a career etc. not to mention the other person may have similar situations.
What exactly is long distance? 1hr. 2hrs. 4hrs. 45min?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    If I thought the guy was the love of my life, I would in a heartbeat. If I knew it wasn't forever I wouldn't.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it, I only would if we were engaged and actually planning a wedding.

Long distance isn't a deal breaker for me - he needs to be within driving distance, and there should be a plan for us to be in the same place eventually, it has to have an end date you know?
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I never have, but I definitely would. I like to move around a lot, so it wouldn't really be much of an inconvenience.

As far as the LTR... maybe. I spend a week or more a month out of state for work, so if the person happened to be where I travel to that could work. Sort of like a part time job, right? ;)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I haven't don't it, I only would if we were engaged and actually planning a wedding.

Oh yes agreed, should've added that...I would only move if we were set to be married. I really don't want to live with a guy before we marry, but that might be the only exception (if it was not feasible for me to get my own place in a different city before our marriage).
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Have you done it?
    Not for a dating relationship, but I was married to a soldier.... we lived in NY, AK, TX & HI during our marriage (10 years). Each time I had to quit my job and start over. Even though it's not the same as starting a new relationship, I would say it gives me a different perspective than most and makes me a little more open to the idea.

Would you (re)consider it?
    For the right man, yes. But, the circumstances would have to be right. I'd have to know it was the real thing and forever.

Is long Distance a deal breaker?
    No, but again the circumstances would have to be right. There would have to be travel between and a lot of open communication.

I do have issues to think about with relocation (selling my house, finding a job, my kids). My ex is in FL, so he wouldn't have issues if I moved south. However, I'd have to figure things out if I were moving elsewhere. So, it's a bit complicated.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it, but honestly now that I am a single mom, I don't think I could.
    Maybe if it was a couple hours away - tops - but their dad has every right to them and I don't think that is fair to him or the kids.

ETA: and if I was to do it, I would have to be married/engaged. With having the kids and alot more at stake things would have to be a forsure, not a maybe.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I prefer to think that I am so awesome, the woman would relocate to me. :wink:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I would not move anywhere for a boyfriend. If we were getting married, then we would decide together where to live, and that may very well include moving somewhere else. That's fine. But I would not even entertain the idea of moving my entire life for a boyfriend.

I've been in 4 long-distance relationships in the past 8 years. I would do it again, for the right guy, and for a short time (i.e. months, not years). I am no longer at a point in my life where I am willing to be someone's long distance girlfriend indefinitely.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it, but honestly now that I am a single mom, I don't think I could.
    Maybe if it was a couple hours away - tops - but their dad has every right to them and I don't think that is fair to him or the kids.

ETA: and if I was to do it, I would have to be married/engaged. With having the kids and alot more at stake things would have to be a forsure, not a maybe.

I'm having to agree with this. As a single mom I don't think I ever could either because my child's dad has the right to see our daughter and she wants to see him. Yes he only sees her every other weekend, but still I would not move more than a couple hours away as that trip would have to be made twice each time she visits him.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I could do long distance romance so I don't know that I would have reason to relocate. If I was with someone, and he got transferred, it would depeond on where we were in our relationship if I would go. Most of my family is in this state, so would have to think about it. But, I was married to a Navy guy and we had to move--thankfully only once in the 8 years we were married--that was bad enough-to WA state and then back 10 mos. later!
  • fullofwhimsy
    Options
    I could much sooner relocate for love than deal with a long distance relationship. I like living in different places (lived in Asia for 6 years) and would have no issue doing so again for a good reason.
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I just moved back home almost a yr ago. I do not want to stay here forever. I will either move back to Austin or move somewhere else. So yes, I'd relocate for love but it'd have to be super serious (getting married soon).
  • nhsoprano
    nhsoprano Posts: 129
    Options
    I am not sure. I hope to live in quite a few places over the next decade or so, so maybe instead of relocating, I'll just decide to settle down for love?
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Too many variables! I would have to consider it when the time came.
  • ndev777
    ndev777 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Considered it, accepted the idea, bought the engagement ring, only to be refused saying "I can't and WON'T let you leave everyone behind for me, you would be unhappy and I would be unhappy that I've let you"... A fair concern, but never gave me the chance..

The distance couldn't have been any longer, Melbourne Australia to Louisiana.. But I wanted to, she wouldn't have it and broke it off with me...

Now, would I consider it again, yes... Because for the right one, the "RIGHT" one, I believe real love has no bounds... But hey, that's maybe just me...
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Now that my kids are pretty much grown, I would in a heartbeat.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it, I only would if we were engaged and actually planning a wedding.

Long distance isn't a deal breaker for me - he needs to be within driving distance, and there should be a plan for us to be in the same place eventually, it has to have an end date you know?

this :)
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I've done the long distance relationship thing...I wouldn't go into a relationship to where we already lived apart...even if we were an hour or two apart. My time is at a premium and I'd prefer her to be nearby.

That being said, if it was an existing relationship and one I felt was going somewhere, I would find a way to sustain that relationship and hopefully reach a mutual agreement of who would relocate. Many variables as said before, but I think we all value a good relationship.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I love an adventure, and I love moving to new places. I'm extremely unsettled, and up and move anyway, so why not?
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    ... Because for the right one, the "RIGHT" one, I believe real love has no bounds... But hey, that's maybe just me...

And me!! :bigsmile: