Exercise recommendations

thomsann
thomsann Posts: 2 Member
Something similar has probably been posted before, but as I'm still trying to figure this forum out I hope you'll forgive me!

I met my husband when I was 23 and about 125 lbs (I'm 5'2" and was doing martial arts nearly everyday). Over the next 4 years, I gained a lot of weight. My husband was thin and we began a crap diet of fastfood and general laziness. We both quit karate for various reasons (we attended different schools/classes). I was 148lbs when I got pregnant. The Wic office here kept telling me how overweight I was and got "mad" when I gained too much weight (I gained about 30lbs while pregnant). Now, my son is 4 months old and I'm stuck at 158 lbs.

I have problems with my body image and with food. I've been this way since I was a teen, though I was never anorexic or anything. With my postpartum body and all these lovely hormones my body image and confidence have dropped. I am breastfeeding exclusively and on-demand. I am eating around 1600 calories per day if I'm being honest and adding everything into the tracker, and I'm not losing weight.

I realize I need to get more active, but I have a bit of the post-partum blues coupled with anxiety about doing anything in front of people. I like the idea of dance or zumba (I even belly danced briefly but quit because I experienced far too much anxiety in the group), but I have the grace of an elephant and cannot do it in a group. Going back to karate isn't an option for me now, but I felt strong and confident doing it. I feel like the accountability of my karate class helped me stay thin and healthy and as much as I've tried picking up routines in the past I've always failed due to lack of support and boredom.

What sorts of fun, low to moderate intensity workouts would you recommend? Thank you in advance for your help, and I'm sorry to spam with redundant questions.

Replies

• vivian1616
    vivian1616 Posts: 27 Member
    If you don't want to be in front of other people, ie gym or martial arts dojo, there are tons of DVDs you can buy or rent (to try them) and work out at home. Pilates is a great low intensity work out if you are trying to start in slowly. There are also Zumba DVDs, or if you have a DVR, you can find programs on TV and set your DVR to record them so you can work out when it's convenient. (Zumba is higher intensity, but you said you like the idea, and if it's fun for you, you are more likely to stick with it.)

Working out will probably also help with your baby blues. I had a pretty severe case of postpartum depression with my 4th child, and I know that when I was motivated to work out (which wasn't often, granted), it helped me feel better on all levels. If you are looking for some support, please feel free to add me. Although fairly new to the site, I am a daily logger.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    1600 calories seems really low for a breastfeeding mother. That's 500 calories for breastfeeding - you're only getting 1100. Try eating at least another 100 calories - that will probably help with your mood and may help you lose weight.

However, as long as you are nursing I wouldn't focus on losing weight. Just like when you were pregnant, your body is focused on something different now and will work harder to hold on to its fat stores. It will deplete your bones, muscles and organs before it puts the baby at risk. However, exercise will make you feel happier and look better (though I could never figure out how to fit it in until my kids were at least a year old).

I started running with the Couch to 5k program because I could do it with my kids in the stroller. It's just 30 minutes a day, three days a week and did wonders for my body. I don't know if you have or could afford a jog stroller, but it's an awesome investment even if you aren't running. However, I think your baby must be 6 months old before you use one, so you might want to confirm that if you decide to go that route.

Videos could work out really well for you, since you can do them whenever is convenient, however you say that it's hard to stay motivated...I have that issue myself. There are people who post challenges on the message boards or among their MFP friends to do a certain workout for 30 days or whatever. That could be helpful to you.

I am as uncoordinated as you say you are and I just took a yoga/pilates class without looking like a fool, so there are group classes that might be accessible to your level. Do you have the ability to go to a gym? Your baby is about old enough to be going two hours between nursings, so you could fit in a 45 minute session if you had child care - perhaps just weights and the elliptical machine or a beginner class.

Also, 30 pounds is a perfect weight to gain during pregnancy. 25-35 pounds is the range.