Masochistic Routine I Might Start in May/June

Options
chris1816
chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
*kitten* my life.

http://dualfit.com/widow-maker-squat-routine/

“Trust me, if you do an honest 20 rep program, at some point Jesus will talk to you. On the last day of the program, he asked if he could work in. – Mark Rippetoe”

Replies

• sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Will watch this later as going out now. But I have been looking to do widow maker for my badge on Fito, so may give it a try after watching your link.

Thanks Chris.
  • chris1816
    Options
    Not a video, just a description of the routine. Yeah the Widowmaker badge I'd seen before made me consider it but someone actually discussed their six week progress on a post on Reddit and it had me intrigued. Pretty much described it as pure nightmare fuel and seems more geared towards a caloric surplus but I imagine I could still see fat loss/strength gains by just upping my calories.

His comments:

–]SirCaptainMitchPersonal Trainer 29 points 20 hours ago*
    I did an 8 weekWidowmaker routine. -- EDIT (weeks not month)

First, it sucks. It hurts a lot, the slightest touch often made my legs quiver in agony. I started at about 185 and worked up to 315lb x 20. once and have never even come close again.

Second, it will work, but you have to eat such an amazing amount of calories to get through it that it's almost not even worth it.

Third, I say almost because in 8 weeks I have never seen gains like that in my (personal) training experience. I started at 185 and shot all the way up to 315. My current sets are about 400 x 5 and I don't think that I could have gotten there without widowmakers.

Fourth, when I say you need to eat I mean it. Lke 4k cals a day to recoup for the training, it's really not a workout you want to attempt often.

fifth, have someone watch your form it's far to easy to start half-repping on the 15 - 20 reps and then you go nowhere.

1 x 20 Squat
    2 x 20 Dumbell Pullover
    5 x 5 Overhead Press
    5 x 5 Bench (should been Power Cleans, but my gym doesn't have a good spot for them / Idonthaveanyonetotrainmeoncleans.)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I did one day (YES ONE) of 10 widowmaker sets back to back with 10 burpees in between and thought I might die! Got a couple of Fito badges out of it, though.

Haven't widowmakered or burpeed since. :sick:
  • chris1816
    Options
    That sounds frightening like crossfit.

10 Widowmaker sets = 200 squats, that's asking for injury or some kind of problem with your internal organs.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    That sounds frightening like crossfit.

10 Widowmaker sets = 200 squats, that's asking for injury or some kind of problem with your internal organs.

Yes, 200 squats and 100 burpees. I wasn't injured, and had no issues with my internal organs (??). I like to change things up a bit and do a fast workout once a week, as I spend the other days doing Starting Strength and training with kettlebells. I'm not a CrossFitter.

The bulk of those widowmaker sets were with a 10kg barbell, with the last few sets working up to a heavier weight. I don't recall how heavy I got, but I'm guessing maybe 40kg.

It was tough, and like I said, not something I would do more than once in awhile. :smile: