Smoking

Options
Cagsfa
Cagsfa Posts: 10 Member
I quit smoking before surgery but I have recently picked the habit back up. Does anyone know what the effects are for smoking after surgery?

Replies

• meganw5638
    meganw5638 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking before surgery and for about 4-5 months after. It's my understanding that smoking can be very detrimental to the healing process. I'm not a real heavy smoker and have been trying to quit, but I haven't experienced any ill effects.
  • lmwilson
    lmwilson Posts: 1
    Options
    I quit smoking before surgery and then picked it back up about 4 months later... I'm 14mso post op and haven't noticed any ill-effects.. I know in the early stages in can cause blood clots and contribute to infection, but it depends on how far post op you are...
  • babypom3333
    Options
    I had originally wanted to have the bypass done, however I was not able to totally quit smoking before my surgery date. My Dr. said that with the sleeve I would be fine being I was still smoking. So sleeving was my best option, and I stil havent managed to quit smoking. My Dr. said with the bypass smoking can cause the connection to the intestines to get ulcers, but no such risk with the sleeve.
  • JillyInAZ
    JillyInAZ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ....You mean other than the general every day effects of smoking before surgery... such as cancer, lung disease and shortened life span? Yes, I know I'm being jugemental, but it's terrible for you, and WHY on earth would you go through the VSG surgery for your health, and not eliminate the biggest health risk. Stop it. Keep trying to stop it. It takes multiple times, but you have to keep trying to stop. And yes, I'm one of those annoying reformed smokers.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    After many years of failed attempts I quit smoking and drinking cold turkey almost 4 years ago for my health. I knew I needed to start somewhere. From there it was numerous failed attempts to lose weight. I finally decided to have VSG last August which I just had 11 days ago. When I went my info session at the hospital my doc said that if anyone was still smoking or drinking he would absolutely not do the surgery. When asked why he said that quitting smoking and/or drinking was so much easier than having long term successful WLS results. He felt that if one cannot commit to that he would rather devote his time and efforts to those who could and help them achieve long term success.
  • koalajazzie88
    Options
    Whew! You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that you can kick this habit. I was a smoker for a long time but finally quit 2 years ago. Its not easy at all but it is worth more then winning the lottery, or being skinny! Smoking is terrible for your body ...... good luck my friend!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I would have to say chronic bronchitis and/or emphysema and possibly cancer are the effects of smoking after sleeve surgery.

I do tough love when it comes to smoking. You need to quit.