Deep Water Running

Options
This is a great workout. http://www.active.com/running/Articles/The-Benefits-of-Aqua-Jogging

You can also see a youtube video just search deep water running.

For when you need to be off your feet :)

Patsy

Replies

• trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I did this for about 6 weeks after my latest slip and fall hamstring injury (unrelated to running, totally related to me not paying attention to wet slippery concrete). It was incredibly mind numbing. I did interval workouts and had a waterproof iPod, which helped. It chilled me to the bone to be in the water for that long (I was usually in a _heated_ pool for about an hour and still was totally chilled when I finished). You have to work really hard to get a good workout.

That said, I do believe it was slightly better than the dreadmill. Slightly. Still, I wouldn't do it again unless I had to! :laugh:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I did this the other day (in a pool) for about an hour following the loss of a toenail. Absent wearing my HRM does anyone know how to estimate calorie burn for this? I cant find any good estimates online. I know my HR was MUCH lower than running so the burn would also be less but I am unsure of how much.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Mine was certainly lower but not as low as I thought it would be (I can wear my HRM in the pool). I'd say it was about 30% less, and that is working really hard (doing intervals). If you were just kind of running at a steady pace, it would probably be reduced a bit more, I imagine.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Check your HRM mine I can use in the pool. Omron I wear the band and leave the watch on the side of the pool. I works for me. I bought it on Amazon for $30.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I understand. I hate cold weather and cold water. But my pool is in the upper 80.s by June and July and Aug the 90's. Love Florida.:bigsmile: But yea when I was on the swim team for HS we had to be in the outside pool and swim 3mi. Not happy when it was Jan and Feb. But that was distance swim so. I am new to deep water running I enjoyed it a lot in July and Aug here in Fl.

Patsy