Meat substitute - Tempeh

Options
Motria
Motria Posts: 54 Member
Hi gang - I mentioned in another thread that I'd made tempeh for dinner and the question was, "what's that?". Well, my friends, tempeh is made from soybeans that are fermented and pressed into a patty. Many people like the hearty texture and nutty flavor.

2008_09_23-tempeh.jpg

I bought some tempeh from Trader Joe's and tossed it into a veggie stir fry. It was NOT good! Turns out you need to marinate it and it also helps to steam it 10-20 minutes to soften it up and let it absorb other flavors better. You live and learn, right? See the below link to learn five different ways to prepare tempeh. If you read down to the comments there are a few great ideas for marinades. With proper seasoning, tempeh can substitute for meat in all kinds of recipes. I'll report back after I get it right. :wink:

http://www.thekitchn.com/five-tips-for-preparing-tempeh-63906

Replies

• stacyhall79
    Options
    lol...thanks for that...for now, I will stick with firm tofu!
  • Motria
    Options
    Okay, I took the leftover chunk of tempeh out of the fridge. I'm steaming it right now, will marinade for 24 hours and eat it with my dinner Thursday night. I'll bet you can't wait to get my review tomorrow!! :bigsmile:
  • Motria
    Options
    I won't keep you in suspense any longer. The steamed and marinated tempeh was MUCH improved. I dare say it was tasty! Nice texture, too.. still had a nutty and chewy element. So I would definitely buy it again, now that I know what to do with the stuff! Maybe photos next time, too.
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    yea! it worked! I'm so glad for you :) Photos would be excellent! What did you marinade in?