ProTips! Add yours!

Options
In order to reduce cravings and to satisfy the ocassional sweet tooth/junk food craving, I try to abide by my own set of rules. I work in an office, and people bring in sweets and goodies all of the times (of course, they set them within smelling distance).

So my rules are:
-No eating before 10am (except for breakfast), or between the hours of 2pm and 4pm, or after 8pm.
-No eating anyhwere but a designated eating area (i.e. dining room, break room), This I find has been the most useful.
-Stop and think: that will put me over my calorite and carb limit (or close to it). I'm going to feel awful about this in about ten seconds.
-Train yourself to drink water when you smell something delicious. "Those fresh baked, giant doughy cookies smell great. And I bet they are. Time to drink ALL OF THIS WATER I HAVE LEFT."

I've been trying to do a form of keto since March 9th- which basically to me has been 'consume less carbs' and trying to stay under 40 a day. My fiancee and I are saving for the wedding, so we were eating cheap (bread, pasta, etc). Turns out, you can still eat pretty cheap without having to have pasta for every meal!

Anyone else have any personal protips they'd like to share?

Replies

• MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    great tips!

For me, tracking makes all the difference. I won't eat sweats b/c I know I have to log it and then see it in my diary and other people will see it!

I also find that setting short, medium, and long term goals really helps me stay focused and keep on track.

for example:
    short term: today, i will eat 2 servings of leafy greens, and less then 20 net carbs
    medium: this week i will lose 1.5 lbs
    long term: this month I will lose 1-2% body fat.
  • aonegirlarmy
    Options
    I am in the office 9-5 setting. People bring in donuts all. of. the. time. I can smell the sugar from my office because it is next to the break room.

The best solution I have found is to get up and walk away until the craving passes. I walk down the hall and ask someone a random question that I don't need to really know, then ask about someone's kid, then walk to the restroom, then get some water and go sit back down. If I still have the sugar shakes, I start re-organizing my entire desk.

It helps me to not allow myself to start the 'just one' argument and reset my state of mind.

Also, my office is now immaculate...
  • RustyDogma
    RustyDogma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    While I realize this is not viable for everyone, I walk to the grocery store daily after work.. takes me about 25 minutes round trip (not including the shopping itself).

1) The walk and hauling the groceries home is extra exercise (I lift weights too).
    2) I don't keep any food in the house. I buy only what I need for a 24 hour period, cook it, eat it, and I'm done until my next trip.
  • fluffcakes
    fluffcakes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found this really reduced my random cravings and kept me full and has really jumpstarted my loss after lagging from the holidays:
    -Big protein/fat breakfast (40-50g protein, 40-60 g fat). Keeps you full for soooo loooong.
    -Only eating every 4-6 hours (no snacking), and no eating past 7-8pm.
    -If you eat carbs (like veggies, low-carb yogurt, some keto-friendly fruit like berries etc), eat it for breakfast or lunch so you can burn it off during the day.

Motivation:
    http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/online/
    Lets you track your weight and understand the peaks and valleys better. You may have suddenly had a whoosh then "stall" for a week and get upset, but this moving trend helps you calm down and realize that you might still be losing! :)