The complete write up on Spiking!

Options
4theking
4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
It’s like a dream right? One day a week to stuff yourself a bit while dieting. It’s what I do every week and have been doing for……………..must be around 4 years or so now. I have always struggled with caving in and pigging out while dieting. I would do great, drop 10lbs, crave a pizza pie, and it was over. Of course, if you have already had a pizza, why not ice cream? The diet is already ruined right? This was my never ending story. Well at least till I ran into a guy named Russ. He had just stumbled across the notion, that allowing himself a day to enjoy the food he loved was actually helping him to lose weight. I quickly became intrigued and starting messaging him. Back and forth the messages went for several months. I started spending every spare minute I had researching the hormones and how everything worked. I shared some of that research with Russ for him to use on his book he was working on. That was probably three years ago or so. He now just completed his second book and it is soon to be released, but back to the original intention of this post………………….

I don’t know anyone that doesn’t love to eat. When you think of dieting you think of restrictions, and starving but it doesn’t have to be that way. I think of my spike day as a Thanksgiving feast once a week. I go to bed on spike day eve and dream of the food like it’s going to be Christmas morning. There are so many reasons to spike other than the fact it’s so fun to eat though.

Hormones: It is debatable on exactly what the hormonal response is to having one day a week to eat at a caloric surplus but there is no doubt you do get a boost. I am convinced there are some things we don’t even know about, that happen when we spike calories. What I do know for fact is the fat hormone leptin, which controls a lot in regards to fat metabolism, gets a 24 hour bump in its production. This bump not only helps with metabolism but also helps to fight cravings. Also, when you go low carb like on your low calorie days, the thyroid hormone will suffer. By having one day a week to eat a surplus of carbohydrates, you increase the conversion of the inactive thyroid hormone T4, to the active version T3. T3 is a powerful fat burner and a regulator of metabolism. When we speak of BMR, T3 is one of the main drivers behind it. One of the problems with the Atkins diet was this down regulation of the thyroid hormone due to little to no carbohydrates. Spike day will help to keep the thyroid healthy and functioning correctly.

Energy and workouts: When dieting a lot of people complain about feeling run down and tired all the time. As the body adapts to fewer and fewer calories and drops your BMR, and as your carbohydrate energy stores (glycogen) empty, your energy will suffer. Your spike day will refill your glycogen stores, in the muscles and the liver, and will give you lots of energy, specifically the day after your spike. My gym performance always goes up on my day after spike day workout.

Added benefit: Some people even see a Non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT), response from spiking calories. Whenever I spike, I instantly get hot and fidgety. I will get restless legs and arms and just can’t sit still. It has been estimated that neat can account for an additional 300-400 calories burned per day. So if you eat 2400 calories on spike day and you burn off 400 without really doing anything, you are already down to 2000 calories which probably is barely over maintenance calories anyway.

Yet another benefit: A lot times when losing weight, the scale will lock up and you will not see a loss for weeks. Then all of a sudden you are down four pounds overnight. Why does this happen: When fat comes out of the fat cell to be used for energy, the fat cell for some unknown reason, fills with water. At a later date for another unknown reason, the fat cell lets go of the water and you see a loss on the scale. There is really nothing written on this topic but my theory is, by spiking your calories and carbohydrates, you pull a lot of extra water into the cells as water attaches to the carbohydrates at a rate of around 3 parts water to every one part carbohydrate. This large influx of water encourages the fat cells to let go of the water it is holding. Typically, if calories are set right, you very seldom see a plateau of any length of time. This can be very encouraging to see the scale moving each week.

Typical setup: For men, you eat BMR for six days. Macros should be in the area of Protein 40%, Fats 35%, Carbs 25%. Spike day would be 2xBMR. Macros for spike day Carbs 50%, Protein 30%, Fats 20%.
For women, eat BMR-100 calories for six days. Macros same as above. Spike day 1.5-2 times BMR. Macros same as above.
When I am setting someone up, I look at the whole picture. What kind of workouts someone is doing, how active they are in their job, their age, etc. I use the above guidelines and adjust as I see necessary. If you want a personalized setup, just ask.

I wanted to add:

Exercise calories should never be eaten with this plan. One exception would be if you were doing some kind of long distance running or similar training. Even then, you would probably only need an extra few hundred per workout.

You will gain weight after your weekly spike day. This is completely normal. As the week progresses, your weight will come back down and by spike day morning, should be lower than the week before.

Replies

• shyam3001
    shyam3001 Posts: 24
    Options
    Superb! Thanks for sharing!
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Sounds cool, but what if my biggest fear is if I have a spike day I'll just fall off the wagon? Should I lost a lot of weight before I start spike days? As it is I can pretty much eat and be satisfied within the calorie goal mfp set up for me. However, I'm still completely clueless to a lot of things. I don't even know if the MFP calorie goal is too high as it is?

I'd love a personal program.

I'm 29 (soon to be 30 in June)
    My activity level is limited meaning I don't do a whole lot other than stuff around the house or going outside with my dogs.
    I'm 277.0 pounds at 5'3. MFP has my calories at 1480 (which sounds high).
    Female (obviously)
    Still trying to work out a proper work out routine - but refuse to give up on the 30 day shred I started today. I would like to add to that as well though.

So, yes any advice you have I'd be eternally grateful. I really want to bust out the fat loss!! I'm always up for constructive criticism and am always open for something new.

I am clay! Mold me master! :) haha!
  • kellyw036
    kellyw036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My physician worked with Russ and turned me on to his books last year. I followed this (mostly) and lost 40lbs :)
    I had a hard time spiking the WHOLE day though. It gave me a KILLER workout the following day though!
  • kellyw036
    kellyw036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My physician worked with Russ and turned me on to his books last year. I followed this (mostly) and lost 40lbs :)
    I had a hard time spiking the WHOLE day though. It gave me a KILLER workout the following day though!

Do you know if Russ on on MFP?
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    And you keep your numbers the same no matter what? I mean, no eating Back calories or anything like that right?
  • 4theking
    Options
    Superb! Thanks for sharing!
    Your welcome Shyam3001!!
  • 4theking
    Options
    And you keep your numbers the same no matter what? I mean, no eating Back calories or anything like that right?

Correct Kris. I failed to mention that. You don't eat back exercise calories.
  • 4theking
    Options

Do you know if Russ on on MFP?

Congrats to you! He is but he is not very active.
  • 4theking
    Options
    Sounds cool, but what if my biggest fear is if I have a spike day I'll just fall off the wagon? Should I lost a lot of weight before I start spike days? As it is I can pretty much eat and be satisfied within the calorie goal mfp set up for me. However, I'm still completely clueless to a lot of things. I don't even know if the MFP calorie goal is too high as it is?

I'd love a personal program.

I'm 29 (soon to be 30 in June)
    My activity level is limited meaning I don't do a whole lot other than stuff around the house or going outside with my dogs.
    I'm 277.0 pounds at 5'3. MFP has my calories at 1480 (which sounds high).
    Female (obviously)
    Still trying to work out a proper work out routine - but refuse to give up on the 30 day shred I started today. I would like to add to that as well though.

So, yes any advice you have I'd be eternally grateful. I really want to bust out the fat loss!! I'm always up for constructive criticism and am always open for something new.

I am clay! Mold me master! :) haha!

haha! If what you are doing is working, I wouldn't change anything. You are losing right?
  • danieyell1969
    Options
    Definitely interested...but not til I get back heading for Cuba tomorrow !! Planning on a very relaxing fun filled week , then back on track for April first!!
  • 4theking
    Options
    Definitely interested...but not til I get back heading for Cuba tomorrow !! Planning on a very relaxing fun filled week , then back on track for April first!!

Wow! Enjoy your trip. Let me know if you want to start it.
  • danieyell1969
    Options
    I will for sure as soon as I get back....not planning on over indulging too much but I'm not gonna bean angel either...lol. See you back here April 1 st.
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Not lately. I lost 9 pounds in the beginner but been stuck for about a week at 277. I am not one to complain, so I just keep at it hoping to see more pounds drop when they are ready :) I know it's not a miracle and it takes dedication :)
  • 4theking
    Options
    Not lately. I lost 9 pounds in the beginner but been stuck for about a week at 277. I am not one to complain, so I just keep at it hoping to see more pounds drop when they are ready :) I know it's not a miracle and it takes dedication :)

One week isn't bad. Keep at it!
  • 4theking
    Options
    I will for sure as soon as I get back....not planning on over indulging too much but I'm not gonna bean angel either...lol. See you back here April 1 st.

lol OK Enjoy your trip!
  • jendarlin
    jendarlin Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this write up, and group! I am following a bit closer to Russell's guidelines, it's a great plan!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Starting Monday...spike days will be on Sunday
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    great idea! i'm trying to eat lower carb, but one day a week i could do. i'm shooting for 97-150 most days. how many carbs should i eat on the spike day?
  • 4theking
    Options
    great idea! i'm trying to eat lower carb, but one day a week i could do. i'm shooting for 97-150 most days. how many carbs should i eat on the spike day?

50% of calories, and carbs are 4 calories per gm so if you were spiking at 2500 calories, carbs should be around 300gms or so.
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    two more days till spike. i am so ready for chocolate eggs and pop tarts for breakfast. reese puffs and oreos, and a ton of sushi.
    hallelujah.
    :heart: