New Member - Recently Diagnosed - Pursuing Paleo

Options
Hi Everyone!

I am new to all this! I am 27 years old, married almost 2 years. I just recently got diagnosed with PCOS after I had a 3 week period, told my doctor I had been off BC for 6 months and haven't gotten pregnant. We aren't TTC, but it was odd that it hadn't happened anyways. I read an article recently citing that the Paleo diet has had a good impact on people with PCOS, so I thought I'd try it.

My thoughts so far?

Its complicated, haha, and expensive, but two weeks in and I'm 3 lbs down, so I feel like I should see where this train leads me.

Disclaimer: its really not THAT much more expensive, from what I see. I dont spend all that money on grains, cheeses, milk, etc, so I just redirect my budget toward meats and vegetables, but it is a bit expensive.

Connect with me if you want, I would love to talk about the adjustments necessary (coming to grips with the "I" word has been a struggle for me), or if you are trying the paleo thing, I would be interested to see what the impact has been on your PCOS and ability to conceive. Eventually I would like to conceive, so I figure I might as well start figuring this out now, haha!

Replies

• singanote
    singanote Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi! Nice to meet you. I've wondered about the Paleo diet but, I must be honest, for me at this time in my life, I really need to be able to not over-think the food thing while still being healthy. I have chosen to count calories and, in the midst of that, to try and make choices that are lower glycemic index (i.e. I use zucchini instead of noodles now in italian dishes and if I do use pasta, I use the whole wheat, I add a lot of fiber into my diet via whole grains and fruits and vegetables) and I try to reduce the amount of sodium and sugar drastically. It's not the "ideal" PCOS diet, I realize, but I am just psychologically not up to having to limit, measure, and analyze every single thing I put in my mouth because then I don't stick to it! BUT, I have an open mind and would like to get to the place I could handle it..and would be interested to know how it's going for you!!!
  • kpelky
    kpelky Posts: 13
    Options
    So far, 5 weeks in, I have lost a little over 15 lbs, so it seems to be going well. Honestly, I just remember that if it comes from a box, or if its precooked, I dont (and really shouldnt) eat it. No grains, no dairy, and its pretty cut and dry. If its not a fruit, vegetable, nut, or meat I dont eat it. I think the concept of the paleo is to not have to analyze the food you eat. I admit that it was a big adjustment, but I am getting the results I want, and its not costing a ton of money to do so.

Thanks!
  • singanote
    singanote Posts: 34
    Options
    OK. So I admit. The real issue for me here is the grains and dairy. Not sure I'm ready to do that yet. However, I've been on a plateau for a while and should be looking at other things. The main thing that I have not been doing now that I was when I was consistently losing is working out. So, I'm getting going firing that up again and, once I do, if I'm still "stuck", I think I'll bite the bullet and give this a try.