weightlifiting for women

Options
cirka2002
cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
do you know of a good beginners weight lifting program for women to tone? (that doesn't take a long time at the gym)

Or....what would be your top 5 moves that would be best for women?

And....assuming squats are in there...smith machine? yeah or nay?

Thanks!

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I just recently found out about this program, I haven't looked at the details yet. Maybe Jason can comment on if he thinks it's a good starter program.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    do you know of a good beginners weight lifting program for women to tone? (that doesn't take a long time at the gym)

Or....what would be your top 5 moves that would be best for women?

And....assuming squats are in there...smith machine? yeah or nay?

Thanks!

I don't know of a specific program. The type of workout that I do would work perfectly for what you want. I am in the gym for just over an hour twice a week. It's a full body workout. Let me know if you want more details.

Top five moves
    1. Leg press or squats Great for legs, abs, and back side. Squats with a smith machine are dangerous
    2. Bench press Great for arms, chest, shoulders, and back.
    3. Lat pulldown Works arms, back, abs
    4. Dumbell millitary press Shoulders, arms, abs
    5. Deadlift or lunges Legs, back, abs, back side.

Took a quick look at Kiki's link. Looks like a decent program.
  • cirka2002
    cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    thanks! I'm a "wham, bam, thank you maam" kinda girl and and looking for the best bang for my buck and want to get out of the gym as quickly as possible most of the time.
  • animelose2012
    Options
    how many reps do you recommend and what weight should the weights be for these moves?
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I want to start lifting but just don't know where to begin this journey. Do I do it at home, (if so what do I need?) at the gym (but again still have no idea what I am doing). I have looked at different programs but they are all just confusing....I am currently just doing 30DS as it is here and all I need are some hand weights...

I can join the gym but budget is a factor. What should I be looking for in a gym?

Would something like
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50KG-BARBELL-DUMBBELL-WEIGHT-SET-INCLINE-DECLINE-BENCH-FID-SQUAT-STANDS-/321084616819?pt=AU_Strength_Training&hash=item4ac2227073&_uhb=1#ht_3077wt_1413

be ok for starting off? (not sure how to make it a hyperlink)
  • 4theking
    Options
    how many reps do you recommend and what weight should the weights be for these moves?

I like 10-20 reps per set. Weight should be low until proper form is performed. Once you have good form you should try to progress each workout either adding a bit of weight or trying to get additional reps. You can never start too low but starting too high can result in injury.
  • 4theking
    Options
    I want to start lifting but just don't know where to begin this journey. Do I do it at home, (if so what do I need?) at the gym (but again still have no idea what I am doing). I have looked at different programs but they are all just confusing....I am currently just doing 30DS as it is here and all I need are some hand weights...

I can join the gym but budget is a factor. What should I be looking for in a gym?

Would something like
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50KG-BARBELL-DUMBBELL-WEIGHT-SET-INCLINE-DECLINE-BENCH-FID-SQUAT-STANDS-/321084616819?pt=AU_Strength_Training&hash=item4ac2227073&_uhb=1#ht_3077wt_1413

be ok for starting off? (not sure how to make it a hyperlink)

Where you workout depends on a lot of factors. Most important is making sure you do the workouts. If driving to a gym becomes a pain so you don't go, you would be better off doing something at home. If you don't get motivated to lift at home, than obviously, you would do better at the gym. The weight set you linked is ok for a beginner. I started with something like that years ago. If you choose a gym, be sure it's not too busy at the times you would be using it. Also, make sure they have a mix of free weights and machines as each have their place. I will have to find a link to a good video for some beginning lifts.