MS and travel?

Options
sed1217
sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
I'm taking my first solo trip since diagnosis this weekend - going to a work conference across the country. I've never been much of a traveler (I'm much more the homebody type), and I get anxious before trips. But post-diagnosis, I'm getting much more anxious than usual. I'm scared I'll have another vertigo attack (I've had two in two months, though neither was definitely correlated to MS) and won't be able to make my plane home. Any suggestions for being less anxious in this situation? How do you guys handle travel?

Replies

• squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have traveled a fair amount over the years both overseas and domestically. During an exacerbation where I completely lost vision in one eye, I got out of the hospital and within a week, flew to Germany for 3 weeks (tagging along on my husband's work trip). Best thing ever - it gave me time to focus on myself and my own healing. I came back with much improved vision and another week later, it was back to normal. During my exacerbation last May, it was while I was traveling down south for 3 weeks. I had a 1 year old to manage by myself at the same time. I stayed calm, relaxed, and it was all ok.

Being anxious when your diagnosis is new is normal. Please don't let it control your life. Think about what will happen if you get vertigo and plan for it. Some possible options: 1. You don't get vertigo (the most likely scenario!!) 2. You fly home and puke the whole way. 3. You fly home and are fine. 4. You stay where you are at for another day or two until you get past it. 5. ???? there are so many different scenarios, but once you are aware of them and can plan for them, they aren't so scary.

If you are into trying it, you might want to start doing some relaxation exercises that you can use when you feel anxious. Deep breathing, counting, etc. They take some practice, but they really help me. Best of luck. I hope it's a good trip!
  • sed1217
    Options
    Thanks so much for this! One of the biggest difficulties I've had thus far with my diagnosis is finding the right balance between accepting the diagnosis and still being me. I go from feeling disempowered to powerful and back a dozen times a day. I am glad to hear it gets easier and that you can challenge some of the restrictions that MS might create. At this point, I really don't have any, so I shouldn't create them for myself!
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I really like the last sentence you wrote - very insightful!
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Can't really add much to what squeakyfish said - other than to agree wholeheartedly. I always look at the whole MS thing as "I may have MS and it does not have me".

The relax techniques really work - and remember to get a travel letter from your neurologist if you have meds that need to go on carryon.

Have a great trip. :flowerforyou:
  • sed1217
    Options
    Just to update - I had a *great* trip. I ended up walking about twice as much as I planned, miles and miles, and I was ok. I have a lot more confidence now, and am looking forward to my next trip!
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm glad your trip was great!