Anyone doing HITT and SL?

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
I am thinking of doing 3x a week HITT session and my 3x a week SL

Anyone else doing HITT and SL? Any programs to share?

I hear this is a good way to burn fat so figured I would try it after my training for my half marathon is done (april 7th)

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I'm not, but I love your bikini picture:)
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I think that by April the idea of doing HIIT anything on your non-lift days will make you want to cry - the weights will be getting heavier by then!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I do HIITs every once in a while on lift days. Maybe 1x a week.

I max out at 15 minutes of HIITs, on a treadmill with interval buttons.

I usually do a 3 minute warm up, and depending on how I'm feeling, hit 8mph right away, back to 3mph, rinse repeat, or I work up to 8mph - 6, then 7, then 8, (alternating with 3mph) and then back down towards the end of my session.

I don't know if I could do HIITs after every lifting session. Some days I'm nauseous - happening more often as the weights are heavy. I like walking my dog more on days I'm not at the gym. More low key!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Haven't quite made it to HIIT. I technically do the "fat loss" program on the arc trainer which does intervals at higher resistance and higher incline, so it could be used as HIIT, but I find I just have to slow down and I can't keep up the intensity. Of course, I also do it for 45 minutes, so maybe if I only actually did it for 20 minutes I might be able to. I don't know.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I have done tabata intervals with SL and it's too much to do too often once your weights get heavier. I would say if you REALLY feel the need to do it, throw a tabata on the end of your SL workout as a finisher....it's only 4 minutes. Or maybe a little interval training.

To be honest, if that is you in the bikini in your pic I really don't think it's necessary to do any cardio or hitt. I think if you focus on your lifts and progressing you will achieve what you are looking for.
  • kopmom
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The picture is a good picture....in person their is flaws !

I would not do it on a lifting day. Any maybe max 20 min 3x a week
  • kopmom
    Options
    Also if I am doing it on the treadmill do I do an incline??
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Do an incline if you want to do an incline....honestly you really have to gauge how you feel. There are some days when I can do an incline, but I can't run and some days where the opposite is true. Once you get to a point where you are seriously challenged on every SL workout your body will 100% dictate what, if any, additional exercise you can do.
  • auddii
    Options
    Also if I am doing it on the treadmill do I do an incline??

Looking around the internet as to what classifies something as HIIT, it seems that either you need to increase speed, or you increase resistance (incline is often mentioned in combination with increasing resistance). There is no resistance involved in treadmills, so it would have to be speed. I'd think the incline is optional. As for just incline, a lot of people tend to hold on to the sides, and some people say that defeats the purpose because you are no longer supporting your weight.

Personally I avoid treadmills because I have the tendency to fall off of them, and the last time I did, I cut my lip open on rusted metal and needed a tetanus shot... :grumble:
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I did SL yday and today did interval training on my treadmill ... I now feel like utter crap ... Which I don't normally to be honest ...
    My training consisted of 33 mins and ranged between 3.5mph to 5moh yo 5.5mph then 7mph for 1minute then back fine to 3.5 and work up again fir the next 5 mins x
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    the fat burn from HIIT is somewhat overrated.

My understanding is that done properly, something like a tabata protocol (a true one which many people on MFP are not fit enough to do) burns more calories in 4 minutes than low/Moderate intensity steady state cardio for a much longer period, but if you have 30-45 minutes to give, you might as well do LISS instead.

And, you don't feel like you are going to effing DIE.

I also think that what gets called "HIIT" often is not. Its just regular interval training. Interval training is a useful training tool (and I assume you are doing some for your half marathon training).

*edit*

Ok I went and did more research because I can't stand not knowing. My statement about Tabata is true, but there is apparently something called a Gibala regime which can be done by less-fit people using an exercise bike.

"Subjects using this method trained 3 times per week, and obtained gains similar to what would be expected from subjects who did steady state (50–70% VO2max) training five times per week."

So, there you go.

The reason I say its overrated is because typically we're talking about fairly minimal differences in terms of fat mobilization and total calorie expenditure. So all the ridiculous hype about it was a little overboard - is it slightly better for fat mobilization? Yes. Is it the only way to burn fat? No. It just takes a little less time - so its a good option for someone very busy. Just keep in mind that for it to truly be "High intensity" the intervals have to actually be HARD. Really really HARD. Not just "Faster than usual".

Here's the link to wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

I actually don't know if I think its a good idea while doing SL for like, the majority of people, because it IS really tiring and you don't WANT to go into a stronglifts workout tired from yesterday's intervals. You also probably won't be able to perform it properly AFTER a stronglifts workout because ...you will likely be too tired to perform the intervals at the required intensity.

BUUUUUT - some people tolerate this kind of thing better than others so really if you are very interested in it the only way to know if it will work for you or not is to try it. If your lifts start to suffer or you notice your can't do your intervals at the required intensity then you'll know this won't work.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I used to do HIIT on my treadmill when I first started doing SL and all was fine. Unfortunately as I started to increase the weights lifted on SL I found that trying to do both was affecting both and neither was being done correctly. I tried doing them both on the same day and also on alternate days and neither way worked.
  • luminajd
    luminajd Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Zuzana Light? She came out with these DVDs http://www.amazon.com/ZCUT-Power-Cardio-Series-Dvd/dp/B00AY5JB92
    I havent really been able to follow her calendar of her workout 5 days/week, but I love it when I can fit it in. Her website is http://zuzkalight.com/ and she has TONS of free workout videos, I prefer her DVDs because they are truly cardio (most of her videos add in weights).
    I havent made it through the entire DVD program, but the workouts are usually a time challenge, like complete 10 burpees, 10 mule kicks, 20 crab toe touch, 10 ab splitters for time. The actual workout part is usually only 10-15 minutes, with like 10-15 minute warm up and cool down.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I used to do HIIT on my treadmill when I first started doing SL and all was fine. Unfortunately as I started to increase the weights lifted on SL I found that trying to do both was affecting both and neither was being done correctly. I tried doing them both on the same day and also on alternate days and neither way worked.

^^ I suspect this is true for NEARLY everyone, and that 95% of people who say they do both aren't truly doing HIIT - just regular interval training.
  • auddii
    Options

^^ I suspect this is true for NEARLY everyone, and that 95% of people who say they do both aren't truly doing HIIT - just regular interval training.

Like me. :laugh: I'm thinking I should coin the phrase LIT: lazy interval training.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

Like me. :laugh: I'm thinking I should coin the phrase LIT: lazy interval training.

Bahahah Audii you are killing me today! :laugh: :drinker:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that unless you're training for the Olympics or some other serious semi-pro or full-pro athletic career/event, you're probably not doing HITT, nor would you ever need to (except maybe for the personal challenge/bragging rights so you can keep up with Michael Phelps or whatever, which is cool).

For us regular folk who aren't getting paid for our athleticism and who work out recreationally, regular intervals will do just fine and that's what most of us are doing. :bigsmile:

Far as mixing interval training with SL ... that would depend on your fitness level, really. Most find that as the weights increase, your body really needs those 48 hours to actually rest, and so some form of light cardio usually does the job, if any at all.
  • kopmom
    Options
    Thanks to all for the feedback !