Why am I like this?

Options
As I was doing a Bible study tonight, I ran across this question. "Why am I like this?" Nothing in this world is exactly alike. Not a leaf, not a flower, not a blade of grass or a cloud. Out of the billions of snowflakes that fall from the sky, there are no two alike. Every animal in the world is different. Even identical twins are not the same. God could of made us all alike. All the same color, the same size, look the same , talk the same. But He didn't. He made us with a purpose in mind. He knew us before we were even formed in our Mother's belly. And He loves us just the way we are.
Then why are we constantly unhappy with ourselves? We want whiter teeth, prettier skin, smaller feet, bigger boobs, smaller boobs, red hair, brown hair, blonde hair, black hair. We wish we were taller, shorter, thinner, heavier. We wish we were funny like so and so, or more outgoing like what's her name. We waste so much time and energy wanting to be something or someone else. God made us who we are, the way we are, He loves us completely.
My prayer is that we accept the things we cannot change and change the things we can. For me it is my weight. I cannot be the person God wants me to be if I willfully choose to be unhealthy. I have to make changes. And the time is now.

Replies

• ajnlee25
    ajnlee25 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I agree. We must remember it's not just about losing weight, but about glorifying God. We can't fully do this if we are not taking care of the bodies God has entrusted us with.
  • kathiewoods3
    kathiewoods3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That is so true, We need to learn to love ourselves the way we are, real change comes when we let the Holy Spirit control us.
    He will help us make the changes we need, even in our battle to lose weight He can be our strength in time of temptations.
    God has a purpose for us and who better to help then God the Holy Spirit.
  • maryannsaunderspreston
    Options
    My problem is that I have never truly liked myself. I don't know the reason for this issue, but I have never accepted myself. Everyone says that you can't truly love others unless you love yourself, but I disagree. I love God, my family, and my friends. I just struggle to love or even like myself. I think this is why I have such trouble believing in myself to succeed in anything. But I guess the time needs to come to accept who I am, since God makes no mistakes. I need to learn to love myself, and the first step I need to take in order to do so is to stop abusing my body and use it in ways to glorify God.
  • Saucytee
    Saucytee Posts: 31
    Options
    Dear sweet Maryann, I have felt that way my whole life. But God has really changed my heart. I really had to give it to God. Read Psalm 139. Read it out loud and slowly. Really listen to it as you read it. That is when God opened up my eyes and changed my heart. He loves you and so do I!