"erasing" someone from your life on social media

Options
2»

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I actually wipe myself out of existence instead of them. All of a sudden you wake up one morning and it is though I never existed. Except in your mind. And then you worry you might be crazy when you're the only one that remembers me. But you can't find me.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: love it
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    lol I'm friends with my exhusband and his GF and a good portion of his family.... We have alot of intermingled pics especially of the kids.......

I never delete pictures they are memories good or bad ... I have only deleted one ex from FB and that was because he asked me to since seeing me going out all the time was upsetting him
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Ex husband didn't have a facebook account so nothing for me to do there except delete the few pics I had posted of him in my albums. I don't have a twitter account either. I have upgraded my cell phone since then so no photos to delete and I have to keep his contact info since we have a child together.

Since then I had a guy I was seeing unfriend me on facebook. No biggie as I would have done it myself had he not. No pics or status to change though as it was never a committed relationship. Kept his contact info in my phone so I would know who was calling or texting. I still talk to him occasionally.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have never been "in a relationship" with a guy on Facebook because I have too many friends on Facebook from high school and college whom I rarely see and who don't personally know the guys I date now, and I think broadcasting changes in your relationship status sort of invites them to get involved, and they start asking questions and making comments about people they don't even know.

I unfriend exes and any of their family/friends. As others have said, it is not about being mean or angry or anything. It's just easier to get past the situation if you are not constantly reminded of it.

I delete any photos that make it clear we were a couple (kissing or whatever) because I just think it's a little weird to keep stuff like that after a break-up. But I'll keep pictures of things we did together or place we traveled.

I will delete posts or comments of the "lovey-dovey" variety for the same reason as the pictures. It can get weird when you start dating someone else if all that stuff is still on your page.
  • azhcanedition
    azhcanedition Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I tried to be civil with the ex and had her on FB. It was actually working for a time. Then, she decided to take one of my status updates in a completely creepy "I still need to be nosing into your love life even though I'm married to some other guy" kind of way, then some random argument happened about the youngest and the usual "pull the child away" threat was volleyed a short time later (a day or two), coincidence...I don't think so.

It would honestly depend on what happens. If the breakup was bad, block. If it was amiable, then maybe take down more of the "cutesy" couple pics, but I'd leave any with groups of friends.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I actually wipe myself out of existence instead of them. All of a sudden you wake up one morning and it is though I never existed. Except in your mind. And then you worry you might be crazy when you're the only one that remembers me. But you can't find me.

LOL!!! awesome...

I don't delete all of my ex's friends off FB who I met thru him. We are all adults.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

I don't delete all of my ex's friends off FB who I met thru him. We are all adults.

Yeah, not really. That's what I thought too. Turns out, most people are *kitten* and have an allegiance with either you or them. You'll find out one way or another which way they lean. No one keeps it right down the middle. They have to take sides. It eventually comes out. It might take years, but eventually, staying friends with their friends will have some unwanted consequences.

In the exact case I mean I think it's worked because he sees them very little anyways.. In the nine months we dated we saw them twice. The reason this girl and I added each other was for a surprise birthday we planned for him/her. He isn't on FB so that causes no issues because he can't see what we post in statues etc. Do I need her on my list? No, but it's causing no harm. I did delete this Ex's. coworkers though.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I do everything any fb pics, comments, if I was fb friends with one of their friends and/or family members, phone number, posts