Squats - inner thigh/groin pain!

Options
mareeee1234
mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
Hey squatters! I've been doing Stronglifts for a few weeks now, but this week I'm experiencing inner thigh/groin pain from squats... particularly my left inner thigh/groin. It happened once 2 weeks ago when I tried to squat the next weight up, but it was too heavy for me, and that hurt. But then it was fine the next day. But now, a couple weeks later, I'm experiencing this pain again, and it aches afterwards. I still haven't increased the weight, cause I'm experiencing this pain.

What do I do! Anyone else experience this?

Is it cause my form is wrong..?

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    When you lie flat and touch it, do you feel a bulge? Or just a tender spot? What do you feel?

Might be a muscle strain, might be a hernia.

Either way, take it easy until it stops hurting. And if it persists for more than a week or two, go see a doctor.

I had strained an ab muscle at some point (no idea how exactly) and had to deload and baby things along until it mended itself. I would never advise anybody to keep pushing themselves lifting when injured.

Could be a form issue, could be that you lifted too much too soon (Stronglifts is pretty aggressive). Hard to say.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Are you warming up gradually, starting with the empty bar? You should be.

Also, get a foam roller last Thursday if you don't already have one. Roll your adductors prior to squatting.
  • DaniH826
    Options

I warm up with 20-ish minutes worth of yoga, and then a couple sets of squats without the bar. Then the empty bar, then go from there.

Highly recommended.

Also, agree on the foam roller.

I had been using a hand-held roller (loves it!) and got me a full body one yesterday cuz I can't reach my upper back/shoulders otherwise, and oh.my.god. After I figured out how to use it and got past some awkward moments, I did me a full body massage and doubt I had been that relaxed in a loooong time. Ahhhhhhh.
  • taso42
    Options
    Sort of depends how heavy the work sets are, but I like 3 warmup sets (in addition to the empty bar warmup)
    Here's a handy little warmup calculator
    http://corw.in/warmup/
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Usually gyms have a pvc pipe or foam rollers for everyone to use. The pvc pipes will be more effective than a soft foam roller.

Here is a rather detailed video about stretching your hip flexors:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKFJOTk-cUE

If you are questioning your form, I highly recommend that you record your self so we can take a look at it.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Also, get a foam roller last Thursday if you don't already have one. Roll your adductors prior to squatting.

^^^^^ This...sounds like a hip flexor type twinge.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Sort of depends how heavy the work sets are, but I like 3 warmup sets (in addition to the empty bar warmup)

Awesome, thank you.
  • mareeee1234
    Options
    Thanks for replies!

I warm up with half my max weight, 5x5.

But maybe I should have a bit of a walk/jog first, to warm up properly?

And yeah I know Stronglifts is quite aggressive, but I only increase my weights every week, not every work out. I have honestly taken this so slowly! I'm only squatting 35kg, and I've been at this for like 8 weeks.
    I really want to keep going, especially squats, I love them and they are so important! But I don't want to injure myself.

Should I deload and see if the pain persists? And then try build it up again?
    How much should I deload?

And yeah maybe I will record myself.. would be kinda embarrassing setting up my phone at the gym ... haha
    or maybe I could ask one of the personal trainers what they think of my form? They're very friendly/helpful.

Keep the advice coming pals! For now, I might just deload, and see if the pain is still there!
  • taso42
    Options
    I don't mean to be a stickler, but you will have a more effective warmup by gradually increase the weight over 3 or 4 sets up to your working set weight. Check the calculator I linked above, and also http://stronglifts.com/5-rules-to-find-your-perfect-warm-up-weight/
  • DaniH826
    Options
    I don't mean to be a stickler

But you're good at being a stickler, and that's completely fine. :drinker:

I have to question how effective a 5x5 warmup routine at half weight would be, especially at higher working weights. To me that's just asking for injury, not to mention wearing yourself out before you ever really get going.

It's better to do at least one set with the empty bar, then another set with something higher, another set with something higher still, and etc. based on what your working weight is for that day, to give your body time to adjust and your muscles time to work their way up gradually with proper form, so that you can bang out your work weights without a lot of problems.

Basically, something like this:

The idea, for all lifts except the dead lift, is to take your working weight minus the bar (20kg/45 lbs) and use this as the weight to add. Then follow the scheme below:
    2×5 with just the bar
    1×5 with bar + 25% of weight to add
    1×3 with bar + 50% of weight to add
    1×2 with bar + 75% of weight to add
    3×5 at full working weight

(or 5x5 at work weight since you're doing Stronglifts, not Starting Strength)

(stolen from http://www.allthingsgym.com/starting-strength-warm-up-calculator/)
  • mareeee1234
    Options
    I don't mean to be a stickler, but you will have a more effective warmup by gradually increase the weight over 3 or 4 sets up to your working set weight. Check the calculator I linked above, and also http://stronglifts.com/5-rules-to-find-your-perfect-warm-up-weight/

AND
    I don't mean to be a stickler

But you're good at being a stickler, and that's completely fine. :drinker:

I have to question how effective a 5x5 warmup routine at half weight would be, especially at higher working weights. To me that's just asking for injury, not to mention wearing yourself out before you ever really get going.

It's better to do at least one set with the empty bar, then another set with something higher, another set with something higher still, and etc. based on what your working weight is for that day, to give your body time to adjust and your muscles time to work their way up gradually with proper form, so that you can bang out your work weights without a lot of problems.

Basically, something like this:

The idea, for all lifts except the dead lift, is to take your working weight minus the bar (20kg/45 lbs) and use this as the weight to add. Then follow the scheme below:
    2×5 with just the bar
    1×5 with bar + 25% of weight to add
    1×3 with bar + 50% of weight to add
    1×2 with bar + 75% of weight to add
    3×5 at full working weight

(or 5x5 at work weight since you're doing Stronglifts, not Starting Strength)

(stolen from http://www.allthingsgym.com/starting-strength-warm-up-calculator/)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE!
    i'll definitely warm up more.. I think that could be the problem!! thank you thank you!
    Hopefully this helps me! *fingers crossed*!!
    I'll also de-load a little as well to be safe!
  • mareeee1234
    Options
    If anyone was curiouss...

Today I warmed up A LOT - did a 15min walk/jog, then warmed up with lighter weights,, gradually building up to my max (which I decided to deload)

..and guess what? NO PAIN. ZERO! :D

Another interesting thing is that I found my deloaded weight really heavy. So I think my body was just due for a deload, and was telling me through those pains. I will definitely ALWAYS continue to warm up lots though to avoid this in the future.

Thanks for advice, really helped xxxx
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear that you solved the problem! :glasses:
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options

this warm up calc is awesome!