PCOS and pre diabetic???

Options
LoveFitNation
LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
Question - if you have PCOS and know you are insulin resistant - does that mean you are pre diabetic for type 2 diabetes??

Replies

• WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I'm not sure if you are considered prediabetic or not but you are ar great risk for getting type 2 diabeties
  • michelledawnt
    michelledawnt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The way my doctor explained it it is not pre-diabetic unless you have a high A1C, but are at a higher risk to develop Pre diabetes or Type 2 usually in 3-5 years if you do not take action.
  • LoveFitNation
    LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What is an A1C??
  • ladyshands
    Options
    the A1C is the only thing that can determine you being in prediabetic range. Insulin resistance for some reason goes hand in hand with being diabetic or prediabetic however.. I go to an endocrinologist every 3- 4 months for fasting labs. I meet with her nutritionist and do one on one's because I am in the PRE range and am fighting for my LIFE to get out of it... I am about 4 points away. Its very important that we keep an eye on levels and have testing done often to maintain healthy levels. My cholesterol used to be high, but I was put on a low dose of atorvystatin (lipitor) and changed my eating and it dropped substantially. High cholesterol is also something you want to keep your eye on. and if you are on metformin (or if you do start using it) you will want your kidney functions checked.
  • ladyshands
    Options
    What is an A1C??

its a lab done where they draw blood and check the sugar levels after fasting. I think anything starting at 5.7 or 5.8 to a 6.3 is considered Pre diabetic.. if you hit 6.4 or higher, you are considered diabetic.
  • MeanaGailRotten
    MeanaGailRotten Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi all . . . Fornally diagnosed in 1997, but I exhibited the symptoms since I was a teen (mid 80s). Diabetes is common in my family, as is PCOS. The doctors that initially treated me were more interested in kick starting my monthly cycles, or giving me Phen Fen for my weight, but my insulin resistance wasn't really addressed.

Through my late 30s, I was on very high doses of Metformin. My A1C didn't really tell the tale. When I turned 40, I developed diabetes. Along with the Metformin I also started an injectable med, as well as cholesterol and blood pressure meds. Liver enzymes were high, too.

Despite the meds, diet change, etc. I didn't improve. I had gastric bypass which allowed me to lose the weight, and the other issues normalized. These days, I still watch my numbers, but all of my labs are normal.

Feel free to add me, and ask any questions that you might have for this older "cyster". :)
  • mk_hammer
    mk_hammer Posts: 105
    Options
    No, it doesn't mean that you are pre-diabetic, but it does mean that you are at risk to become diabetic. Talk to your doctor!
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The A1C is a simple blood test, and very common for diabetics. It is used to determine an average blood sugar over the last three months or so.

My diabetic husband has an A1C test every time he goes to the doctor. For him, the doctor wants to see between a 6 and a 7. I would expect perhaps a lower average for a non-diabetic?

It's worth asking your doctor about the next time you see him/her.