Intermittent fasting

Options
So from reading r/xxketo I notice a lot of ladies seem to have great success with intermittent fasting. I'm wondering what the best ratio to use is (20/4 seems like it might be a little rough for me, so I'm thinking maybe 18/6? 16/8?). And does coffee with cream "count" as food? i.e. could I have my usual coffee with a couple tbsp of cream at 9am, then eat nothing till 2 or 3pm, then stop eating altogether at say 8pm? or would I need to do just black coffee to not break the fast, which internally makes me go "ew"? haha. maybe unsweetened almond milk in my coffee would be better, it's got like 15 calories per half cup and almost 0 carbs.

thanks for any advice! xo

Replies

• mocheetoe
    Options
    whaddya know, I found the exact answer I was looking for via r/keto :) for anyone curious: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/n2nq1/coffee_and_intermittent_fasting/
  • DancingNancy05
    DancingNancy05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the exact same thing. I tend to do unintentional intermittent fasting, where I have my coffee, then I'm not hungry until 3pm, then my big 3pm meal fills me up and I practically force dinner. I've been having a hard time getting enough calories...maybe intermittent fasting is the way to go?
  • RadiantRebelRachel
    Options
    I used to do IF before getting pregnant in March 2010. I basically tried to keep myself to 8-10 hour eating window and eat only 2 meals a day, depending on my work schedule (i.e. if I was working, my window was usually 10 hours to accommodate my commute and earlier waking time). It worked well. I would also occasionally (2-3 times a month) do a 24 hour fast. Usually, I do my normal breakfast of coconut oil melted in warm water and 2 cups of raw whole milk (I now drink less per day) and then go the rest of the day without food until the following morning.

Now, that I have a small child and am still nursing, I just try to stop taking in calories by 8 p.m. and eat my food grouped into 3 meals a day (occasionally just 2).

It seems that for most women, anything much more extreme than this either doesn't work or just isn't advisable. This seems to be what I'd discovered by just playing around with the concept and listening to my body.

This is a great look at IF for women:
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/
  • mocheetoe
    Options
    so I've been doing IF pretty much since I made the original post in this thread and what do you know, it seems to work -- in the sense that my appetite has been drastically reduced. I have coffee when I wake up, then don't eat anything till noon -- once I got past the first day or 2, it was easy. It's also a lot easier to stick to my calories by only having a small meal (or snacks) in the mid-afternoon and then dinner around 7pm. It's so amazing to not feel hungry all the time!
  • floydgasm
    Options
    What is your intermittent fasting split? I've been doing a 16/8 routine and I absolutely love it! It's essentially just skipping breakfast, which works out well. :)