Diet and Exercise for Project Baby!

WainbowBwight
WainbowBwight Posts: 16 Member
Hi,

I'm gearing up for IVF #3 after two failed IVF cycles (nothing to freeze) and 13 IUIs. I have been doing a gluten-free, dairy-free, caffeine and alcohol free, egg and corn free, limited soy, no nightshade anti-inflammatory diet that is lower than 40% carbs and 25-30% protein with lots of healthy fats (nuts, seeds, etc.) and am starting acupuncture this week. I will likely be slated for ER sometime around the middle or end of May. It's my last ditch effort before moving on to adoption.

Our diagnosis is mild-moderate male factor (we use ICSI though so this shouldn't be an issue) and I lost part of my left ovary to endometriosis via laparoscopic surgery. I'm concerned about immune issues so we're doing all that we can to calm my body before we start stimming. I will also be on dexamethasone during my cycle.

I am overweight and am trying my best to be in the "mildly overweight" instead of "obese" category by the time we start stims to increase our chances. Apparently studies have shown that moderate exercise in overweight patients does NOT adversely affect IVF outcome when done prior to a cycle, and that it can actually help pregnancy outcome. Underweight or normal weight gals should steer clear, but this gal is strapping on the kickboxing gloves and raring to go!

I'm on a number of supplements including DHEA, Fish Oil, Vitamin D, CoQ10, Materna, Folic Acid, Royal Jelly, etc. Feeling confident and healthy after a month of this...

Good luck to anyone else out there who is also on this IF journey! May the end of the tunnel be filled with light and laughter!

Replies

• digital4ngel
    digital4ngel Posts: 2 Member
    Hi wannabebe2. I just wanted to wish you much success with your weight-loss & IVF cycle. I'm also scheduled for a possible ER at the end of May, but this is my first IVF. Good luck to you!! Hope you will update your progress. :)
  • WainbowBwight
    Hey digital angel: long time no type! How did your first IVF cycle go? Don't be discouraged if you were not successful on #1... my doc says that it is rare since that is the cycle they use to determine your response to meds, etc. Most folks conceive by #2 or #3. Although we were not successful with #3 we had three times the number of eggs and embryos and got some frozen blastocysts for the first time ever. We had a chemical pregnancy with #3 (embryo started to implant and release HcG but then died), which is more than we've ever had before. So... something was working, even if this one was not meant to be. HUGE improvements with the anti-inflammatory, high protein diet! I've lost 27 lbs and my blood sugars and overall health are pretty awesome. I'm doing a natural cycle frozen blastocyst transfer in a few weeks. :D Staying strong with the food choices! :)
  • digital4ngel
    digital4ngel Posts: 2 Member
    So sorry to hear about your chemical, but I admire your strength & great attitude. That's great about the weight loss & health improvements too. Fingers crossed it all leads to success with your frozen transfer. Good luck!!

Unfortunately my first IVF cycle failed. We have 1 frozen blast but are doing another fresh cycle. I'm already on day 5 of stims. I'm hoping I'll see more benefit from the high protein diet this time & I'm also doing acupuncture twice a week which has been nice & relaxing. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I really am trying to stay positive things will go better this cycle. :)
  • becajb
    becajb Posts: 50
    Hi Ladies,

I have done 4 IVF cycles and no success. I have also tried the acupuncture and found it hard to relax and enjoy it as i was a little too responsive too it and the buzzing in my body made me feel really tense.

I am now having a few months off and really and truly getting my diet in order. I have been eating well up to now but not analysing calories like I am now. I have enrolled in prenatal yoga and will start my next IVF cycle in September.

Best of luck for you ladies!
  • WainbowBwight
    Hey becajb: It sounds like you are making some real gains! You are wise to avoid the acupuncture if it is stressful or uncomfortable in any way. Good luck with your dietary changes and enjoy the relaxation of the yoga! :D
  • Lampiekat
    Lampiekat Posts: 2
    Hello ladies,

I'm trying to lose weight so that we can be accepted for funding for PGD IVF. I need to lose 21lbs before we can start the process. I struggle doing any kind of diet so am hoping the calorie counting will help me. My biggest downfall is snacking inbetween meals