Cross training

Options
Hey all,

Our league is into cross training, but I was wondering what everyone else does and what you think it too much. Currently I swim once a week, do flow yoga twice a week, go to derby practice twice a week, and belly dance a/o do yoga at home on the weekend when I'm not bouting or doing a promo event for the league.

I'm a teacher by day, so summer is quickly approaching and I want to amp up my exercise routine. I've been thinking about doing the Insanity workout, but I don't want to overextend myself. So that would be Insanity in the mornings, and derby and yoga twice a week. What do you think?

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think you can do as much as you want...just be sure to pay attention to when your body needs a rest.

Our league strongly encourages cross training. We have local sponsors at yoga and spinning class. For myself, I've taken up running/walking intervals to increase my endurance. I have derby 3x a week and try to run 3x a week and then it varies that 7th day. I'm also an ice skater, and I try to get to the rink a couple times a month.

I think the important thing with cross training is getting your body moving in ways a bit different than when you're on quads. At least, that's how I try to think of it.
  • twilightlvr79
    twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am planning on running once it warms up around here. Hopefully this will be our last snow of the year I actually miss running the trails down along the river.
  • BellaBones
    BellaBones Posts: 136
    Options
    We have been practicing USARS so it is mandatory to cross train to build our endurance. I like hiking and walking up hills, also stair climbing. Jogging is good too. Oh and some insanity... burpees are good on a moderate basis , hahah coach has had us doing 50 or so a practice.
  • IrateBeth
    IrateBeth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My League-Mates and I have all started hitting the gym for weight lifting and running on nights we do not have practice.

For me personally, I have started doing interval training/running. You can do anything for 2 minutes, right? (Really, I hate running... but, it's not so horrible on a treadmill). I have also, for core, been doing KettleBell routines and the 200 Sit Ups challenge (www.twohundredsitups.com/index.html)

Sundays, unless I am traveling, I take it easy... that is my off day right now. You should allow your body to rest a little.
  • IrateBeth
    IrateBeth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey Folks
    I found a great resource for cross training, Rehab training after injury, and all around awesome info for Derby Athletics! Check it out!!

http://www.rollerderbyathletics.com/

I started doing the "7 Minutes In Heaven" workout almost 3 weeks ago, and I am already seeing an improvement in my footwork. :-)
  • MeanieD
    MeanieD Posts: 79
    Options
    Awesome. Thank you!