Jealousy: Chapter 24

Options
Simple6
Simple6 Posts: 170 Member
Recently, I had jealousy show up in my life. Previously, I regarded jealousy as one of the things that was lower on my list of things that trouble my life. At least I thought that before I read this week's chapter.

Here is what I read:

"Minding (having our mind set on) other people's business, will keep us in the wilderness. Jealousy, envy, and mentally comparing ourselves and our circumstances with others is a wilderness mentality."

Currently, in my life I am still adjusting to this season of having less. I come from a family of generous and joyful givers. Only now, my giving is much less and often feels less joyful. It often feels so small. This is one area I have felt jealous in. Not being able to give as I desire. I really prayed as I read this chapter for the Lord to show me where jealousy was showing up.

I expected only one area, but God always supplies above and beyond all I could ask are think.....hmmmmm yes, quite uncomfortable in this area of conviction, but oh so needed.

Jealousy has been showing up in my life in two areas: Money and Ministry. The Lord began to show me something very cool. He showed me that temptation always comes. My heart can only be tempted by what I desire. Here is the scripture to confirm this. James 1:14 "But every person is tempted when he is drawn away, enticed and baited by his own evil desire (lust, passions)." So, I began to ask the Lord what about the money and ministry situations are tempting me to jealousy.

Right now, money is just enough and many days quite short. Ministry potential is great but just as unclear and uncertain as the money area. Because those things are out of focus my flesh(mind will and emotions) are trying very hard to bring them into focus. My heart desire is to fix these situations. My temptation is to think, in my own power on those situations. I begin to think, the more I think about those areas that I don't have what I so want, the more certain they will become. I do this by looking at what others have and are doing. That is a place of deception for me! The more lack oriented I become the more lack is produced in my life. Just like Joyce writes, I begin to mind other peoples business. There is no business I know that can grown on it's own, all businesses require attention. My time is used either in growing my business for the benefit of my life or the waste of my time(the minding of others business). What jealousy does is cause what other people have or what they are doing to becomes my standard of measure for prosperity. This earthly measure can only measure according to my low ability. How do I expect my life to prosper when all my attention is Joe blow from next door?.

Yet, as I was seeking the Lord over this....specifically an incident where I was given an opportunity to rejoice with someone, and as I was doing so I recognized my heart felt heavy with stirrings of jealousy. They are getting to do things that I want and had but no longer do. At first I felt ugly over this. I began to try and correct myself but as I have been learning, I sought the Lord for His perspective on this. I always feel His correction is so loving for me, as I open my heart to hear and receive. This time was no different.

First the Lord reminded me that He is my Source. As such, nothing is too much are too little for Him. All the details of me are in His power. Here are some scriptures He gave me:

John 3:16

16 For God so GREATLY LOVED AND PRIZED Jenni, that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that as Jenni believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him, she shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life.

God greatly loves me. He prizes me. This reminds me of my value and God's ability all at once. He has total ability to supply my needs and grant the desires of my heart. Even the things I am jealous over. He never fails. Now, is not the moment He is going to start! Jealousy leads to the destruction of joy and loss of my contentment but as I am learning to trust in Him I am receiving His everlasting non-jealous life. Praise GOD!

John 16:24

24 Up to this time you have not asked a [single] thing in My Name [as presenting all that I Am]; but now ask and keep on asking and you will receive, so that your joy (gladness, delight) may be full and complete.

Jealousy will keep me from asking God because I am too busy complaining about what I don't have. My breath and God's measure of faith in me will be wasted. While the devil will try and convince me I don't deserve what I am asking for. So, I began to bring the very things I saw that I wanted to Him and asked Him to give me His heart for those things. Also to help me to trust in Him for what I need and desire.

Second the jealousy that was showing up, was a product of wrong thinking. Easily correctable and changed with repentance and the renewing of my mind. I set my heart to allow Him to reset my mindset. Also with a prayer request for Him to help me focus on Him.

Third, I ask for a "redeemed heart," vision of my situation that doesn't compare what I have or don't have to others. Jealousy is a feeling and as such is subject to my thoughts. Jealousy is not who I am but rather how I feel. Yes, I desire things, for that is natural but the real truth is will I give into the temptation of using my own methods and means to try and get what I want? Will I chose the works of the flesh or the life of the Spirit? Will I allow God to be my Source for what I ask for and for what I desire? Remember I can only be tempted by what I desire. I use these scriptures to reorient my heart.

Proverbs 29:18

18 Where there is no vision [no redemptive revelation of God], the people perish; but he who keeps the law [of God, which includes that of man]—blessed (happy, fortunate, and enviable) is he.

Proverbs 16:3

3 Roll your works upon the Lord [commit and trust them wholly to Him; He will cause your thoughts to become agreeable to His will, and] so shall your plans be established and succeed.

Psalm 84:11

11 For the Lord God is a Sun and Shield; the Lord bestows [present] grace and favor and [future] glory (honor, splendor, and heavenly bliss)! No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

Jealousy cannot stand in the revelation of God being my Source. God is my Source for my finances. God is my Source for ministry. God is my Source for giving. He is causing my thoughts about these areas to become agreeable to His will.....totally in line with His heart for my life. He is showing me what to ask for and when and how much. All my needs are met in Him, so I am fully content.

Jealousy be gone! In Jesus Name! I trust the Lord to do His part and to help me to do mine.

So, I just encourage you, if jealousy is showing up in your life, take it as your cue to let God be your Source. Don't be discouraged about it, but rather be courageous and purposeful about asking God to show you what is your real desire and the point of temptation. Then trust Him to help you set your heart to resisting the temptation and fleeing sin. Trust Him to bring you out of this "Wilderness Mentality." Truly, God wants to bring you into the place of Promise He has for you. :heart: Yes, I am speaking specifically to you. :love:

Replies

• right2b
    right2b Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Why shouldn’t I be jealous and envious when everybody else is better off than I am?

I heard someone say many years back when I was a teen, that jealousy is the fear of being replaced. I thought to myself that I have a tool for when I feel jealous or envious of someone else. God is not going to leave me or forsake me because He loves me. But as a teen…you are very vulnerable. And people can be jealous of you because they don’t have Jesus in their hearts, so they can’t understand where you are coming from when you don’t act or think like them. I find attitudes really have not changed since then to now.

Which only supports the word of God, that jealousy and envy are base characteristics of human nature. Jesus understood this clearly…he witnessed similar when Satan who was one of God’s most beautiful angels ( he lead the worship before the Throne) became full of envy and jealousy of the one who created him. Satan became full of the fear of being replaced…by Jesus. So he tried to exalt himself above God…of course…how else could you gain all the decision power?? We don’t have a record of how long in the spiritual realm this rivalry existed before Genesis but we do know that God will finish it as it states in the book of Revelation. I thought on this spiritual battle as I read in the book where Joyce writes: “Jealousy and envy are torments from hell.” Yuck!!! Who needs it and who wants that!!

There is so much I want to write on this topic but suffice it to say…when you gain the inner confidence of who you are in Jesus, where you are going because of Jesus and all that you can be though Jesus, you will be assured who you belong to for all eternity…that’s right…Jesus. There is no reason to be jealous or envious because God’s promises are for all believers. He holds no one person above another.

In fact Jesus prayed this prayer in John 17:20-24…”My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one. Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one. I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.”

I understand why Jesus rebuffed Peter and the disciples. His desire is to share the glory that the Father has given him before the creation of the world! If we miss the mark by disobedience and rebellion…well, it’s a fate we don’t want…a toasty eternity in Hell with the Devil! We don’t need to borrow Satan’s fate…though the devil is eager to lend to us through faulty thinking about others and ourselves. There is a scripture that states that even the elect of God will fall away. If we stand defiant that God will not judge our disobedience and rebellion (remember Eve) we have chosen to act above or equal to God…and he alone has the authority to be a jealous God. It took many years of studying God’s word to grasp the scripture in its entirety…that this world and its glory belongs only to God and He alone reins on the Throne with His Son who sits at His right hand in Majesty. Now, I ask…what’s is there to love more than that! We have the best of life on earth and in eternity when we believe in Jesus and know that He is longing to share His best with us. :heart: :heart:
  • Simple6
    Simple6 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    "when you gain the inner confidence of who you are in Jesus, where you are going because of Jesus and all that you can be though Jesus, you will be assured who you belong to for all eternity…that’s right…Jesus.

I love this! To me, this equates to total focus on Jesus. I read this statement again and again. Our God is so good. Look at all He has equipped us with to overcome this baseness in our nature. I also loved how your focused on the jealousy between Satan and God. I hadn't thought about that before. Great point!

How wonderful it is that Jesus wants to share with us. He wants us to have what He and God have. WOW! SUPER DUPER AWESOME! John 17 is well worth pondering on. The more I think on it the more excited I become. Just think of the power Jesus had to what God's will was....it came from being one with God. That alone is beyond my imagination. He has given us the power to be one with God....that thought blows all fuzes in my brain. No wasting on time on jealousy for me. When it shows up, I show it out of my thoughts when I focus on Jesus. :heart:
  • right2b
    right2b Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Jenni...you make my heart light with giggles!! That's right, no time to waste on jealousy because God has GREAT THINGS plan for all of us who love him and seek him. Make time for getting busy with the things on God's list and give the devil the cold shoulder! My mom use to say..."flick the devil off your shoulder and put an angel there instead"...! lol :bigsmile:

Love you....Zoey :flowerforyou: